Fender Vintera 60s telecaster is here (PICS)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jonzer, Jul 13, 2019.

1. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

Look who showed up on a Saturday morning.

I can't give you a review yet since I haven't really played it yet (just a few strums). I'll plug her in later today and tell you what I think. But, I'll show you guys some pics which may give you a better idea than the sales sites.

It seems like a nice blue. The fretboard looks pretty good for being Pau Ferro and not Rosewood.

IMG_0231.jpg

Here she is next to my 2003 American Series. You can see how much darker the fretboard is on the red tele.
    IMG_0235.jpg

Here's another view.

IMG_0236.jpg

I don't think the finish has faded or darkened much at all on my red tele over the years. And she's seen a lot of gigs.

This is cool for me. The wood grain and shade in the headstock. The back of the neck is kinda similar.

IMG_0232.jpg
    I don't know if the picture captures it well, but maybe you get the idea. I like it.

IMG_0237.jpg
    Back of the neck (obviously). It feels different, of course, but it also feels like the same size. The fretboard also feels different. It's hard to explain. It may not just be the materials but the fact the red tele has been played and banged on since 2003.

This is the second time I went shopping for a Les Paul and bought a Telecaster. I think it's cool that they're still different guitars, pickups, bridge, fretboard, S1 and four positions in the 60s.
    I'll plug her in later today and tell you my impressions. Unfortunately, I'm not in a band right now and there's where you really discover how a guitar fits in.

2. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

Oh yeah. The pickguard really is mint green. Pictures don't really capture it.

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

It's only been a few minutes but here's a couple more impressions.

The 60s feels slightly heavier than my 2003.

The Pau Ferro isn't as smooth as Rosewood. Remember, I've been playing that Rosewood since 2003, but the Pau feels kinda harsher/rougher...sorta. OK, honestly, it feels cheaper. That's just a quibble. It's not going to play the way you play and probably not even the tone...but it's not the same as Rosewood dammit.
    But after just a few minutes with the Pau, you can give me the blindfold Pepsi challenge and I'll tell you which is which.

More importantly, they did a really good job on the frets. They feel good. I'm not going to bleed from that.

I just realized there's still plastic on the pickguard. I haven't bought a brand new out fo the box guitar in in a really, really, really long time.

4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice - congratulations. :)
    I love LPB. In hav more than one!
    If twas mine I'd stain down the fretboard.

Clifton C and Fendereedo like this.
  5. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

That might be a good idea if I get someone else to do it. I'd mess it up. I am not a handy person unless you're in the need for sarcasm.

6. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

I like it. I think roasted maple is cool and Pau Ferro almost looks like really dark roasted maple

How's the neck shape and size?

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

The Pau Ferro on my board is a lot lighter, even with some fret doctor. I'm not going to dye it though, as it kind of works well with the fiesta red. Big congratulations by the way and welcome to the Vintera club. :cool:

8. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

The surface feels different than on my red tele, but the shape and size feels the same.

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I found that a very light sanding works well on Pau Ferro, and it takes out the roughness. Very lightly though.

Matthias likes this.
  10. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice Tele - that's a pretty guitar; the 60s Modified Tele is on my shopping list as well.

Per Fender's webpage on the model the neck is supposed to be the "modern C" so it should be roughly the same shape as the American Series - except for the Vintera having the narrower nut width.

jonzer and Fendereedo like this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

Fendereedo likes this.
  12. MikeG74

MikeG74 TDPRI Member

I saw that they are suppose to have a 7.25 radius... thats the main thing the caught my eye on this series. Personally, that is my favorite. Oddly, my 1960 reissue custom shop has a 9.5..?... Whenever I make a neck that I am going to keep, I make it 7.25:)

Southpole and Clifton C like this.
  13. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

So it's not just me. You think "rough" is an appropriate way to describe it? I do.

14. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I used a nail buffer on my Jag’s PF neck. It made a lot of difference.

15. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Ok so now I need to visit the nail bar for good tone?

tintag27, Matthias and Clifton C like this.
  16. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I use Poundland nail buffers and files for all kinds of jobs - none involving my fingernails!

17. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

That’s a nice looking guitar. I haven’t tried any of the Vintera range. What kind of pickups does it have?

The PF fretboard looks similar to a lot of the lighter rosewood fretboards you see these days.

18. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

Before the guitar arrived, I was thinking it'd be kinda funny if this Mexican classic 60s whatever is a better guitar than my 03 American. It's not.
    But, it's a damn good guitar. I really do like the neck. It's very nice. The fretboard, not as much but it's OK.
    The pickups are supposed to be 60s style but hotter. It wouldn't surprise me if they throw Tex-Mex in these and just describe them at 60s but hotter.

About those pickups; I always play my American in the bridge position. I won't be doing that so much with the Vintera as it's pretty brittle. The middle position (both pups in parallel, whatever that means) is nice. The neck is pretty nice but a little too bassy for me. Position 4, with both pickups in series (I don't know what that means) is my favorite so far.

I plugged in my American to compare after playing the Vintera for a while. The American is so much smoother soundwise (and fretboard feels better). She's all stock and is going to stay that way. I need more time with the Vintera. One thing, after playing her for about 30 minutes, my fingertips are black.

Keep in mind that I've been playing the American for over 15 years so my ears and hands are very biased toward her. She's my number one and it'd be hard for any guitar to sound and feel better to me...but I think my comparison is pretty accurate. Also, these are FIRST impressions and I reserve the right to change my opinion as I get to know the new girl.

If I had a gig tonight, I'd take the blue girl with me to see what she can do. If I was recording tonight, I'd take the American because I know what she can do.

19. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

Another first impression; I don't really care for the S1 but that can change.

20. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Congrats... enjoy that new guitar excitement!

Great color on the body, BTW!

jonzer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.