Fender vintage style locking tuners. Does anyone like them?

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
I like the Fender locking tuners but out of habit I still put two or three wraps of the string around the post to keep the string at a lower angle below the hole. I think that helps reduce string fatigue and failure from the force put on it as it emerges from the edge of the hole.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I just got a JV modified 60s tele and it comes with locking tuners which look like ordinary vintage style ones.

These tuners are new technology to me. After some difficulty I managed to work out how to change a set of strings on them with the help of a screwdriver to loosen the post.
Am I doing it right? Locking tuners I’ve used in the past just had thumbwheel on the back but these require a screwdriver? This seems like an inconvenience.

I’m considering swapping them out for ordinary non locking vintage styles (hoping they will be a drop in which won’t require any bushing conversion or reaming).
Just wanted to hear others opinion to see if there’s any reason I should keep them.

View attachment 988189
I have these (Gotoh), and initially thought they were pretty cool, and as far as locking tuners go, are the best option IMO. BUT, I've grown to not like locking tuners and have gone back to the standard vintage slotted type as I can string them faster. Never had an issue with tuning stability to begin with anyway. YMMV.

Last edited:

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
If they’re like the ones I had on a Classic Player 50s strat, I hated them. They’re easy enough getting strings ON, they’re self locking, so just put the string through, leave a little slack, and start turning the knob, they lock and are easy to get up to tune. But getting strings OFF, oh lord, what an unmitigated pain in the butt. I always had at least one string that wouldn’t release with a turn of the top of the shaft, and I’d have to wrestle with it endlessly to get it loose.

Hated em, couldn’t get them off fast enough. I don’t remember if putting normal vintage style tuners on was a straight drop in or not…

-Ray
Agreed! Same issue same guitar. Changed mine for regular drop in vintage but I honestly can't remember the manufacturer, must be over 10 years now.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
I think I had a heart field circa ‘94-5 with those tuners on it. I thought they were great. I miss that guitar.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
Do you have any idea how many years it took me to learn that? :lol:

How many years? 😳

I restrung a bass guitar before I ever encountered vintage tuners, so as soon as I got my first guitar with them it made perfect sense!

Now I'm wondering if I would have figured it out if someone just handed me a guitar with no strings, vintage tuners, and told me to string it.

Dave Skowron

Tele-Meister
When vintage look isn't important it's Sperzels for me. Never had a problem with them.