Fender vintage style locking tuners. Does anyone like them?

Ivan

Tele-Holic
I just got a JV modified 60s tele and it comes with locking tuners which look like ordinary vintage style ones.

These tuners are new technology to me. After some difficulty I managed to work out how to change a set of strings on them with the help of a screwdriver to loosen the post.
Am I doing it right? Locking tuners I’ve used in the past just had thumbwheel on the back but these require a screwdriver? This seems like an inconvenience.

I’m considering swapping them out for ordinary non locking vintage styles (hoping they will be a drop in which won’t require any bushing conversion or reaming).
Just wanted to hear others opinion to see if there’s any reason I should keep them.

26AB6711-05F2-4ADC-8D64-E83BD5A15A98.jpeg

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
Are you showing a shot of the wrong side?
I have locking tuners with the thumb screws but haven't seen screwdriver types.

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
You have traditional lockers which are quite common when a traditional look is desired. The idea is to just use a coin to slightly turn the lock enough to break it loose & then any additional turns by hand when removing strings. When installing strings just tighten by hand and snug them up in the slot with a coin. If you want to avoid the chance of scratching them over time hard plastic will work as well.

They work work as well as the Schaller wheel style made by ping that fender now uses, just the lock is on the other side.

raysachs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
If they’re like the ones I had on a Classic Player 50s strat, I hated them. They’re easy enough getting strings ON, they’re self locking, so just put the string through, leave a little slack, and start turning the knob, they lock and are easy to get up to tune. But getting strings OFF, oh lord, what an unmitigated pain in the butt. I always had at least one string that wouldn’t release with a turn of the top of the shaft, and I’d have to wrestle with it endlessly to get it loose.

Hated em, couldn’t get them off fast enough. I don’t remember if putting normal vintage style tuners on was a straight drop in or not…

-Ray

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
well, seems cool if you really want locking tuners with the vintage look. I’ve never seen much need for locking tuners on a Tele or any guitar without a tremolo. Vintage style tuners are super easy to change strings on and they hold the string as tight as I’ve ever needed. I have had (and have one now) guitars that came with locking tuners (thumb wheel). They’re fine. But give me vintage style any day and I’m happy.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
PRS locking tuners for a long time have used a coin-slot on top of the shaft rather than a thumbwheel behind, which I guess helps keep the weight down. But those are string-through-shaft modern style: with Fender trying to use the same slot to load the string and turn the lock that's maybe a bit more complicated...? just guessing, I haven't tried the Fender ones myself.

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
Assuming you have the Gotoh model then yes, you're supposed to use a screwdriver or a coin or something to insert into the slot of the tuner, slip the new string in and then tighten from the slot to trap the string. You don't need to strangle the thing, it will tighten more as you add tension to the string, but you're supposed to trap it before using the button to wind the string around the post.

They look like vintage tuners and they function just fine but they aren't nearly as easy and quick to use as the type with the wheel on the back and that matters, at least to me. I have one set and I will not be getting another. I find them to be a hassle to use and I don't use trem nearly enough to make it worth the extra effort.

Ivan

Tele-Holic
Stringing on was no problem. It’s convenient and quick as the lock tightens as I wind.
However, the time saved was spent looking for a screwdriver and wrestling with taking the strings out of the post. (Also I didn’t realise until now that I haven’t used coins in the last couple years and wouldn’t know where to find one in the house!).

Im not criticising these tuners nor anyone who likes them. They’re just not for me. I’ll definitely have to swap them for non locking vintage ones before the next string change.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
I just got a JV modified 60s tele and it comes with locking tuners which look like ordinary vintage style ones.

These tuners are new technology to me. After some difficulty I managed to work out how to change a set of strings on them with the help of a screwdriver to loosen the post.
Am I doing it right? Locking tuners I’ve used in the past just had thumbwheel on the back but these require a screwdriver? This seems like an inconvenience.

I’m considering swapping them out for ordinary non locking vintage styles (hoping they will be a drop in which won’t require any bushing conversion or reaming).
Just wanted to hear others opinion to see if there’s any reason I should keep them.

View attachment 988189
A screwdriver? Try a coin next time. A nickel or quarter will work fine. Who would design tuners that required a screwdriver for string changes? All those require are a coin. I mean, look at the slot. That's far too thick for any standard screwdriver but I'm betting a nickel will fit a whole lot better.

It also, won't jack the slots all up like using a screwdriver that's too thin and it torques over all slanted, digging into the side of the slot and leaving it all jagged and rough. It's the same thing that always happens when you use a screwdriver that's too small for the slot. You can see it on most Les Paul tailpiece adjustment screws, for example.

Last edited:

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
If they’re like the ones I had on a Classic Player 50s strat, I hated them. They’re easy enough getting strings ON, they’re self locking, so just put the string through, leave a little slack, and start turning the knob, they lock and are easy to get up to tune. But getting strings OFF, oh lord, what an unmitigated pain in the butt. I always had at least one string that wouldn’t release with a turn of the top of the shaft, and I’d have to wrestle with it endlessly to get it loose.

Hated em, couldn’t get them off fast enough. I don’t remember if putting normal vintage style tuners on was a straight drop in or not…

-Ray

Same here. Couldn't remove them from my CP50s fast enough.

That said, I got another set free in a deal and will be giving them away, with a disclaimer.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member

-Ray

IIRC a set of Fender Pings was a quick, drop-in swap with my CP50s.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
A screwdriver? Try a coin next time. A nickel or quarter will work fine. Who would design tuners that required a screwdriver for string changes? All those require are a coin. I mean, look at the slot. That's far too thick for any standard screwdriver but I'm betting a nickel will fit a whole lot better.

It also, won't jack the slots all up like using a screwdriver that's too thin and it torques over all slanted, digging into the side of the slot and leaving it all jagged and rough. It's the same thing that always happens when you use a screwdriver that's too small for the slot. You can see it on most Les Paul tailpiece adjustment screws, for example.

So, you have no experience with this set.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's

A medium or heavy guitar pick should fit in the slot and works well. Snug should be fine, you don't have to go super tight.

Golden Strat

TDPRI Member
I love them. Just need the strings and something to cut the strings with and I'm in.

I can even change a broken string on stage in under 5 minutes with time to have a smoke ;)

fleezinator

Tele-Holic
I like the idea of locking vintage (looking) tuners but that they're string thru posts and still leaves the potential for stabby stab time is no bueno. Curious how much more stable or quicker these (or any lockers) are over vintage split shaft tuners.