Fender vintage knobs - public service announcement

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jfgesquire, Sep 10, 2019.

1. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

So, I purchased a set of knobs for my diy project, American Vintage/Pure Vintage 60's knobs, Fender part number 009-5799-049. ( I've seen both names with the same number.)

They look great but are extremely light weight chromed aluminum.

Last year I bought Fender knobs (thinking this purchase was the same). The knobs were labeled "Tele/PBass Knobs, Chrome", Fender part number 099-1366-000.

The latter look EXACTLY THE SAME, actually cost the same or less through most vendors and are chrome plated BRASS. They weigh at least twice as much and, to me, feel much better, higher quality.

So, if anyone wants a set of the Pure Vintage knobs, tell me why? Lighter knobs give more precise control? Less likely to spin on the shaft? Keep the weight down on your solid rosewood or mahogany Tele?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Fretting out and Artslap like this.
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have the same aluminum PV knobs. Only thing I can think is that early 60s knobs were made that way, hence the move from brass.

Are they exactly the same? The 60s are flat topped and most others are domed no?

Price diff is probably all that Pure Vintage marketing, which I won't lie, appeals to my inner ocd vintage obsession problem ;)

3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

They are identical. I put one of each on my control plate and asked my son (very keen and critical eye) to see if he could spot any difference.

He could not, that is until he turned them and said "but why?" when he turned the aluminum one.

He said that the brass ones definitely feel higher quality, more precise. I showed him that the heavier ones are the same price, sometimes less. (Darren Riley, eBay, Angela, Reverb, Amazon), all about $14 for a pair. And again he said "but why?". I used your line exactly: "Marketing!"

4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

And that's another good question...

What were the knobs on, say, a 1964-1970 telecaster? Chrome plated aluminum or brass?

5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Likely the same reason for plastic intake manifolds....weight and cost savings.

6. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

But then why still produce the brass ones and sell them at the same price, but then not tell anyone what the differences are????

Ugh!

It's not your fault, I'm not arguing with you, but sometimes corporations get a little too big for their management system and they look clueless.

Old Deaf Roadie and Milspec like this.
  7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Are you sure they're exactly the same?

I have two AV Teles, a 58 and a 64. The pots are the pure vintage stuff that were created for that line of guitars (when they revamped the AV line in 2012).

The pots look very nearly identical, but one of them, I think it's the 64, the pots are extremely light aluminum, and the 58 has the heavy pots. There are also very slight cosmetic differences, but you might only notice with both in front of you.

That tells me that the 'cheap' aluminum ones are what Fender was actually putting on the guitars at some point in the 60s. Otherwise, it would have been a lot easier for them to pick one design and just put it on everything.

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

'cause there's still grumpy 'ol guys like me... If it ain't solid brass, I don't wannit... plastic sux...except when it don't .. kinda like football.. :p

rk

Milspec and jfgesquire like this.
  9. moosie

64, aluminum, on the CAR

20190910_190226.jpg 20190910_190312.jpg

rze99 and jfgesquire like this.
  10. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

Identical.

The one with the fine scratches on the top, right side, is the brass one... It's been used.

The one on the left just came out of the package today, aluminum.

There's is no visual difference that I can see... Not even the number of rows of knurls. The aluminum knurls feel a little sharper, barely.[​IMG][​IMG]

rze99 likes this.
  11. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

Oh yeah, there is a Vintage '58 knob, with it's own part number, that I always thought looked like a dome knob with the top shaved off.... Not the same ridge that the 60's knobs have just above the last row of knurls.

12. moosie

I just realized, you're not comparing Pure Vintage to Pure Vintage, but to some other random Fender part. I can't begin to imagine how many different parts they have for what is essentially a Tele knob. For all the different models, all the years, reissues, custom shop, etc.

No disrespect, but I'd chalk it up to buyer error. You just bought the wrong thing, assuming it was something else.

If I ever suspect in advance that there's an issue like this, I shop with DarrenRiley.com, and email him first to make sure I get the right thing. He is responsive to queries, and carries the full Fender line of parts, I believe.

Actually, I usually buy from Darren anyway.

Treehouse likes this.
  13. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

My guess, fender is a big company, ones probably made in China and the other in Korea and they might not realize the redundancy, or that they are the same price.

My ‘92 MIM tele had flat top knobs, I never realized most were domed.

14. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

Where do you think I bought them from?

Random parts? Buyer error? Why being negative toward me? I'm trying to help others and you're blaming me???

Check Darren Riley... Enter those part numbers... He sells both. Look at the prices, look at the packaging.

Can you tell the difference by looking at his listing?

Aluminum:

https://darrenriley.com/store/vintage-telecaster-0095799049/

Brass:

https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-60s-telecaster-p-bass-chrome-knurled-knobs-0991366000/

15. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

And Moosie, because I know you won't believe that I purchased from Darren Riley, although one purchase was directly from his website and the other I purchased via Reverb because I happened to be browsing there when I saw the bridge that I wanted...

Again, BOTH are still listed on his website, the Brass ones are actually a lower price than the aluminum ones.[​IMG][​IMG]

16. moosie

Why wouldn't I believe you?

You just bought the wrong thing, no big deal. It doesn't mean the big Fender company is somehow at fault.

Both listed on his site tells you what? That there might be more to find out before ordering one of them, no?

17. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

You didn't believe me earlier when I told you they were identical.

You didn't believe me when I told you they were not some random parts.

That's why.

I'm sure a lot of people will be glad I started this post.

Clearly you don't care, so this post isn't for you.

"You just bought the wrong thing..."

You get off on putting people down.... I get it. Grow up.

18. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Please don't take this as a knock against you because your post may help some folks that wouldn't want aluminum knobs. However, the part about "cheap" and their respective costs are a different matter entirely. "Cheap" is an opinion that may or may not be shared by others especially if aluminum is vintage correct.

One thing that we don't know is whether or not it actually costs Fender more to make the aluminum knobs. There are a lot of manufacturing variables that could make the perceived cheaper aluminum knobs cost more including methods of machining, possible tooling costs to make the "same" item out of a different material, and lower volume of sales.

Just trying to point out that cheap is sometimes a perceived quality and doesn't always reflect cost. Then again it is possible that Fender just chooses to price their knobs similarly regardless of anything else. I do know that either Rutters or Glendale also offer an aluminum knob and their cost is also about the same as their other knobs, too.

19. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

I agree.

Look in an earlier post of mine, above.

I specifically echoed the question "are they vintage correct?"

Hopefully someone with an all original '68 Telecaster can chime in.

I'd like my George Harrison build to be period correct.[​IMG]

Edit.... That is NOT the bridge that will be on there, I also bought the correct 3 saddle patent number bridge from Darren Riley...[​IMG]

20. moosie

Ignore list.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.