Fender Vibrolux Reverb 40W vs. Fender '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb 35-watt

Hossius Maximus

TDPRI Member
Does anyone have experience with these amps? What are the differences, pro’s and con’s of each? Weight or buzzing/hum issues?

Thank you

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
They're both quite similar - biggest difference being the first one has no negative feedback loop at all, which equals hotter signal and more gain, but unfortunately more noise. The silverface reissue has reduced negative feedback, meaning it has more than the first one, but less than a typical AB763 circuit.

The tonestack on the first one is actually closer to brownface in values while the silverface has more blackface values.

I think they're both cool, just a matter of which you like better.

twangking

Friend of Leo's
Bruce Zinky designed the 40 watt custom vibrolux reverb. I own and gig one, though mine has been modded a bit and has louder speakers than the stock ones. Running eminence ragin cajuns

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
There's been a lot of discussion about a number of the amps with the moniker Vibrolux Reverb over the years...

The used one you listed is a Custom Vibrolux Reverb (CVR). It was the second generation of the '63 Vibroverb Reissue. As stated above, they took the '63VVRI, added reverb to both channels, and took away the negative feedback loop to make it break up earlier. This was, at one time, the longest produced amp in Fender's history. Everyone bitched about them because they had a high noise floor... But, they kicked butt and sold decently for something like 20 years. There are a number of 'mod' packages for them form Frommel and a few other tweakers. They pretty much all added an NFB loop and took the reverb off the Normal channel, making them effectively '63 Vibroverb Reissues.

The '68 Vibrolux Reverb is supposedly more Blackface EQ values (but the amp topology is the same). Supposedly one of the channels has 'Bassman EQ' values... Whatever that really means. I have not had the opportunity to play one of these new(er) amps.

The biggest difference is probably the mid-presence. The older CVR will probably be smoother, warmer... or thicker and muddy, depending on how you hear it. LOL. It will not have that Blackface scooped tone. But, it is not as thick or warm as a tweed era amp, either.

Both are 35-40 watts, with very similar parts and pieces... Different tubes will give you different power options, but it's not like it's night and day differences between 35-40 watts. I had a vintage '69 Vibrolux Reverb and a '63 Vibroverb Reissue at the same time. The newer amp was louder... By a hair. So, I always felt it was closer to 40 watts, whereas the vintage amp was closer to 35 watts. But, it never really made much of a difference with the band.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either amp... If you want warmer, grab the non-68 version.

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
As Axis29 pointed out, as much online complaining you read on boards about the CVR, they were in the Fender lineup unchanged for over 20 years. I owned one. They're the ultimate gigging amp. Sized very similar to a Deluxe Reverb, but WAY tighter in the low end and cut through a mix like nothing else I've played. The amp hiss is only something you'll notice if you're a bedroom player. In any band setting it's inaudible. When I bought mine I had walked into the store with the intention to buy a DRRI. I left with the CVR.

I sold mine because I stupidly bought a Vibro-King. My buddy still has my former CVR and every time we play together I regret selling it.

EXPLRGAB

TDPRI Member
I have a CVR. Bought brand new at Matt Umanov's for $600.00.....It was an end of store run and once a year Umanov ran a sale rather than incur shipping charges back to Fender...so they sold those sale items for cost.....I got lucky and walked in at the right time.... The amp broke up too early. The mod previously mentioned....MOYER MOD...improved the headroom...and made the amp usable for my needs.....

P.S....I also changed speakers to Eminence.