Fender USA?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by gypsyseven, Jul 31, 2011.

1. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

If you get handwound American pickup, it would not be unlikely that every componet in it wire, magnets, etc. came from overseas. I do believe that a lot, not all, of the current day materials, steal, iron, copper, etc. are inferior to what you got in the past. I think this is part of the reason for constant complaints about inferiority of many tuners, hardway, pickups, etc. on cheap guitars, though this is nothing new and part of what makes them a cheap guitar.

2. BradPaisleyFan

BradPaisleyFan Tele-Holic

I agree...The american stuff is better....but is it 5X-7X better then the classic vibes....not if you ask me.....not even close

3. toddfan

toddfan Tele-Holic

A consideration when having this sort of discussion is that a distinction should be made:

If your GM automobile is made in Canada but sold by an "American" firm, then the profits from that sale end up in the hands of an American Corporation.

If your Hundai is made in Korea(?) and is sold by a corporation that is ultimately foreign owned, then the profits from that sale end up in the hands of a foreign corporation. (I have no idea where they are made...just using a probably poor example :lol:)

Presumably, the profits from American Corporations are reinvested into America, increasing the standard of living in America.

The profits which go to the foreign corporation (presumably) do not stay on American soil, and instead, go to making the standard of living better in those foreign countries.

Simplistically speaking, that would be one reason that one might argue that citizens should attempt to support the commerce of their home country's corporations first...and only buy "foreign" when there is no other alternative.

I'm sure some here will disagree...."cool". Do I do this? Heck no, not all the time. Merely raising a point. :)

4. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

Good points toddman...

but most of those companies that have a "Licensed" by still make money, so therefore if they bought say a Chinese guitar licensed by a US company they are still supporting the American economy because that Company is still getting money for the use their name, most do not see it that way, they see foreign guitar and won't even consider it. It's kinda funny those same people will by a "Made in the USA / America" and not think that twice 1/2 of that "Made in the US guitar is made somewhere else and try to justify it...lol...hehehe

If Fender and any other "Made in the US" guitar company wanted to really invest in the US's economy they could produce all the necessary parts to actually make a true "Made in the US" product and create new jobs and have a product that truly means "Made in the USA". But no they outsource those jobs / products to people who will work for less than a dollar a day. then we whine that this or that part fails.

I doubt half of the tools / machines used to make the US Fender or any US made guitars were made with tools and machines made in the US either...,

"Made in the US" now a days is just a phrase it doesn't mean better quality, nor does it mean "Pride" as it once did back in the olden days..

If a product is good no matter where it is made that should be all that matters not because it has US, China, Japan,,etc associated with it.

(good discussion, no one is slamming anyone...kudo's to a great community)

5. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

sorry all for some reason it made the same post twice

6. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Tele-Afflicted

This is what makes the tdpri great... I personally like to discuss/debate things with others simply to learn more. I usually will debate with someone who had a totally opposite view than mine just to try to understand what makes them think a certain way our why they believe something.

That said, with global trade the way it is, I don't think you will ever see much of anything produced 100% in a specific country ever again. Hell, we may have a lot of foreign manufacturing in our "american" products, but guess what? Even those asian countries get a lot of their grain and corn from us.

7. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

+1 I totally agree with everything you said, that's what it comes down to:)

8. Willy-son

Willy-son TDPRI Member

I can only comment on my own observations. I'm not a big "Made in the USA" kinda person. I haven't owned an American made car in years and almost everything I buy these days is made in another country.

I can say this: I own two Teles, a MIM 60s Classic and an AVRI 62 Custom. Although I like both, the MIM 60s Classic doesn't come close the AVRI 62 Custom in either sound, playability, or workmanship.

Just my experience, for what it's worth.

9. toddfan

toddfan Tele-Holic

agreed!

BTW...I have no illusion that Made In America products are necessarily "better". They may be, they may not be. I would not "not" buy a product based solely upon its country of manufacture. I would try to make an informed purchase, based upon what I thought was the best value, for me.

We are, after all, becoming a global economy....;)

10. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

WTFC (Who the F^@% cares???) Parts is parts...

11. Triton Thrasher

Triton Thrasher Tele-Afflicted

Just bought a Blues Junior, made in Mexico with Russian valves (Groove Tubes, if you insist).

Is it true the Russians are good at making valves because the US kept them short of semiconductor technology during the Cold War?

12. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Fender's bodies and necks are made in the USA.

13. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

It's no so much that they are good at making them, it's more that making tubes/valves is such a toxic, polluting industry that modern, Western countries have all banned such factories.

14. Plank

Plank TDPRI Member

It is a spectacle to watch devout Harley folks as they're told which parts on their hog are imported. Some of them are so deeply committed to the brand and the lifestyle that they feel hurt when they find this stuff out. I'm sure it comes from knowing how much they spent and the feeling that the bike is somehow fradulent.

15. Triton Thrasher

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

I suppose there must be nasty metals in there.

16. Marc Rutters

Marc Rutters Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Well I had alot to say but couldn't figure out how to phrase it without sounding political. Some diehards will go to all lengths to buy "USA" only I'm one of them, unfortunately this is imposable on just about every commodity. Woods like Maple, Swamp Ash, Alder yes the lower 48 but raw steel or other metals who knows China for those I suppose..... a real shame ask anyone in Pittsburgh.

17. acousticman1

acousticman1 Tele-Meister

Also, I thought I read that Tubes are better able to withstand electrical surges and irregularities (such as those caused by a nuclear/EMP blast) which would destroy SS equipment. Therefore, tubes were widely used by the Russian military because of this resiliency.

18. Triton Thrasher

I heard it sort of conversely: that the lack of solid state electronics in Russian gear and its resistance to that that sort of weapon was a coincidence.

19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have played numerous CV's over the past several years and, although they are nice, they are nowhere near the feel and sound of my 8502, CS 57', AVRI 62 or thin skin 52. They wouldn't come close to a 97 Am Std I once owned either (why did I sell that Tele?). It has nothing to do with Squier onthe headstock. The guitar as a whole is nice but has a cheap feel to ME.

And to those who say the price gap is too steep in terms of value, that's an entirely different argument. The value of the instrument is based on the player/owners PERSONAL perception. If I value something enough to pay a premium (and I can afford it) and it brings me satisfaction and pleasure then the price difference is justified.

20. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

I agree.

Squiers are nice but they have a very different feel from US made Fenders (and to me that registers as cheap also).

People here on this forum go on about the CV like it's totally without precedent, have they not played a JV? Japanese Vintage. Has anyone not considered that CV could also stand for Chinese Vintage? Go to the Squier site and it's clear that they see the CV as a return to the JV quality. JVs I believe were the very best Squiers and while I certainly wouldn't pass one up, they are different from US Fenders - a difference that goes beyond the name on the headstock.

Squiers feel cheap not because non-Americans made them but because they're MEANT to be cheap, by Fender.

I personally don't begrudge Fender (or Rickenbacker) for using Taiwanese CTS pots. I don't begrudge either for using German Schallers. These parts don't make the guitar. This is a new, internet-modders construct, placing so much emphasis on minutiae.

Asian countries are capable of producing superb quality but that quality is not often what Western companies want to pay for. Sometimes they do, as with the CTS pots. Sometimes times it's all junky chrome that tarnishes in a week, other times someone will shell out for the good stuff that gleams for a lifetime.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.