Fender USA?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by gypsyseven, Jul 31, 2011.

1. SolidSnakeBoss

SolidSnakeBoss Tele-Meister

+2

2. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

By now I do trully believe that guitars made south of California [Mexico] are as good as the USA counterparts. Re: Baja tele. Who knows what goes into a USA guitars anymore. Shame on you Fender!!!!!

3. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Please do not hate me for this...

I believe best guitar parts are been made in Japan and Germany, if specs demand it. I don`t know if any parts are still made here in Sweden, but if, i dare to think they are top notch too.:cool:

But biggest honours for development of high quality electric musical instruments go historically to USA, or America, if you prefer to use that word!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

4. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

+1

5. drb1346

drb1346 Tele-Afflicted

+3 Amen, brother, Amen . . .

6. JoeWill

JoeWill TDPRI Member

I worked for a US tool company designing packaging and the definition I was given (from legal) was that the country of origin was where the "parts" became the object of sale. Pieces of a scope could be made elsewhere, but it wasn't a scope until it was assembled. So, parts from a foreign country could be used to make a "Made in the USA" product. At least that's what I was told 10 years ago. I have seen "Assembled in the USA" too, so maybe that's where we are now - or maybe Fender could be.

7. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Fender tuners are either Ping made in China or Schaller made in Germany or Gotoh made in Japan same for the bridges they are usually ping or gotoh.

8. XKnight

XKnight Tele-Afflicted

This reminds me of the discussions on the Harley Davidson forums when folks mention that some of the parts are made in Japan, China, etc. It wigs some guys out and their are others who simply don't care. Then there are the rumors that Harley will be opening a plant in India and all hell breaks loose. I wonder when Fender or Gibson will start outsourcing to India?

9. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

Weren't Sprague ceramic caps - the same ones in actual vintage Fenders - made in Mexico? The outrage...

10. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

They already have. Some Squiers were manufactured in India in 1989-90.

11. slotted screw

slotted screw Tele-Meister

for me it's no biggie, as long as i'm satisfied with the product (be it guitar, pedal, amp, etc.) it really doesn't matter where it's made. if it's good quality - ten it's good! ymmv

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My '52 AVRI was proudly built in Calfornia, in the USofA by Jose, Juan, and Domingo, tres amigos!

13. SaltyStrings

SaltyStrings Tele-Meister

Now I'm really freaked out: I just realized major parts of my MIM's are outsourced to some gringo-run company north of the border!

You're right, you gotta watch this stuff!

:p:lol::p:lol:

14. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Tele-Afflicted

Hey, I only drive good ol' American GM iron... My wife drives a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE2, which was proudly made in, er, Ottawa Canada. Lol

15. SaltyStrings

SaltyStrings Tele-Meister

LOL! I bought an Isuzu Trooper brand new in '96 so I could get that legendary Japanese reliability. Found out a couple years later it's basically a GM under the hood.

Still running though, and I've never been stuck (thing will climb a tree)! Probably a lesson in there somewhere...

...nah!

16. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

It should be obvious (but of course it isn't) that those who prefer Fender USA aren't making an ethnic or racial decision - The US being a melting pot after all with all sorts of backgrounds working in the factories.

There was a rather good thread here once upon a time that made explicit the connection, the unbroken chain from Fender today to the original company of old. Suffice to say that some players prefer the guitar made by the original US company and not by a factory that makes all sorts of budget brands for all sorts of 'brand name owners' looking for "the Chinese price". This shouldn't be too hard to wrap one's head around.

The OP was shocked that his CTS pots are made in Taiwan and selector switch is made in Mexico. Elsewhere in this thread, I pointed out that this isn't new - that vintage US Fenders used Mexican made Sprague ceramic disk caps, like my '71 Tele has for instance.

These are components, people. As others have rightfully pointed out, to call foul on this is to call foul if a US company buys foreign wood - like Mahogany which is a tropical - and therefore unavoidably foreign - wood.

Fender USA means made in California (or Arizona). Simple.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  17. geetarfreek82

That's like the Toyota Matrix from a few years ago that had a GM engine in it... People buy Toyota because of their quality and they got tricked into buying american muscle! Lol

I don't really buy GM because of some sense of American pride, it's just that I like my pushrod engines, even if it's a V6... Just more torque and BALLS than that overhead crapshaft bs. Plus they are more resilient. Pushrod is like tubes (old tech), whereas overhead cam is like solid state. Is it a technological improvement? That is left to the eye of the beholder.

18. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

Still your description warrants a "Crafted in the USA" it can't be "made" in California or Arizona if most of the parts are "imported" from other countries. it would be more appropriate to state: "Assembled in the USA".

Which brings to issue others who state that they won't buy anything from China or any other country and only support US made guitars, when the very "USA MADE" guitar they own has parts from other countries used in order to make it perform to its highest ability..And without those parts their "Made in the USA" guitar would not function.

Me, I don't care where it's made as long as it plays and sounds great...
    It's not nict picking....just a good discussion: :D:D:D

19. geetarfreek82

Anyway, back to the op's intent for this thread... The only way to build a truly all american Tele is to make a partscaster out of stuff from manufacturers that are actually located in the US and make their stuff here... That means necks and bodies from Warmoth, Musikraft, Rutters, Guitar Mill, etc. (as long as the neck is all maple and the body is floridian swamp ash! Lol), and hardware from Rutters, Glendale, or Callaham, and pickups by American winders (too many to mention). You won't get that from Fender, but I don't think most people are that nit picky about this stuff

20. outlawyer

outlawyer Tele-Holic

For a good time point out to a diehard Amurcan Harley rider how many parts on his new Ton Glide are Japanese. (shocks, carb, wiring harness, sometimes brake calipers and wheels, and more depending on model).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.