1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender unveils new Signature Teles for 2021

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jmoore0072blu, Jan 12, 2021.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Mark Davis had always complained about too many models. I respect that, but as a basic marketing tool, I think an "intermediate" amount of choices would create the fattest bottom line, and FMIC offers a few too many choices (people get confused and buy nothing) and maybe a few less would be better - but IMO they're pretty close to on the mark.

My problem, though, with so many choices is, nonfunctioning guitars filter through. Bit parts are attached, that don't work or won't work for long enough at all. Gold plating of metal components on working guitars simply doesn't work. They do it anyway, because people who know better just buy a model without the problem features. Fender installs pickups that sound awful, when played clean, because the target customer (of that specific model) always goes full distortion. FMIC never really realizes how badly messed up some of the models they offer, actually are. They sold, so they must have been OK. Right?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Sidney Vicious and Grateful Ape like this.
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I sometimes wonder what most of you don't hate.

3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I hear you - I counted it up and there are 92 SKUs for the American Professional II series alone; for Fender an SKU would model/color/fingerboard wood/right vs. left handed.

How many is too many? As was mentioned they keep pushing back the 600 or so backordered Brent Mason Teles while they pump out additional new USA models.

AlbertoMilanese likes this.
  4. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

Josh has something about to drop on Sunday (likely not a Fender, though). He's been teasing a very Tele-ish guitar on Instagram.

blue17 likes this.
  5. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

It used to bother me that Martin would release signature model after signature model after signature model. Aren't they watering down the whiskey? Yes.
    As far as solid body guitars go, Fender invented the wheel, twice. All they can do now is add chrome and fancy lug nuts.
    Do you have to drink the whiskey Fender has for sale? No, and that's ok.
    But if someone else wants a taste, that's ok too.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

AND - 6 months gone by and they're still not shipping the Brent Mason Signature Model either :) lol !

7. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

Wow just took a look. It has Suhr vibes to me, but I could be (and probably am) wrong.

8. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

It's great to see Chrissie get her signature Tele. She was the major influence for my wanting a Telecaster, then Prince with his Madcat Tele.

9. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I like most of them , but just look.
    I have far , far too many already.
    Isnt that why they make so many " different " models , so people buy one of each , of all these " highly unique " Telecasters ?
    LOL !

10. don

don Tele-Meister

I don't get why there needs to be a Jason Isbell Tele - so many more players like Springsteen, Keith Richards, and on and on that are more associated with the Tele and for longer too. This is just my opinion - YMMV :>)

drmordo and Dan R like this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

drmordo likes this.
  12. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I agree - Springsteen and mr. Keef are the actual reason why I love blonde telecasters.
    To answer your question, I see two reasons:
    1) AFAIK both Springsteen and Richards have been asked about a signature guitar but they both said "no, thanks" and
    2) Fender is here to make money so they would likely sell whatever is able to bring them money.

13. sashadanielle

sashadanielle TDPRI Member

Yeah, Springsteen isn't into that kind of commercial stuff. He told Clarence he'd have to leave the band when he tried to do a credit card commercial.

I would buy a Springsteen Tele yesterday, though. I have set up my order for the Chrissie Hynde Tele, though. That thing is exactly what I've been looking for.

Also, if anyone is interested, there's another thread about Chrissie's Tele where her guitar tech is chiming in. Apparently, Fender mislabeled the guitar on the website. It's a 61, not a 65.

14. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, I've seen the other thread. I am interested into the Hynde telecaster too, have dead in another forum that some websites describe the fingerboard as rosewood while other websites say it's pau ferro.
    Have you been able to find out a definitive answer?

15. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

The Chrissie Hynde is cool, and she sure deserves an artist model. I assume the discoloration on the pick guard is supposed to be the place where the tech removed a sticker and Chrissie kicked his butt for it?

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have no idea who that is so maybe it is not a surprise that he does not have a signature guitar.

17. sashadanielle

sashadanielle TDPRI Member

I haven't seen it described as pao ferro anywhere, only rosewood.

mimmo likes this.
  18. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

I went out for burger and came home with this affinity and I'm happy as Larry with it.

If this isn't the Chrissie Hynde color it's very close. Laurel fb. Way purty!

DSC06162.JPG

nojazzhere and richiek65 like this.
  19. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

Love Isbell. Will never pay USA prices for MIM. Also, not really into signature guitars. Can buy the standard issue and mod it to my specs for less. Which is basically what all artists do anyway. Never understood paying up for another dudes name on my guitar.

Capgun

20. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

Not sure what you're into musically, but give him a look on the Youtube.

Also...if you go back and look at old Fender model runs, you'd be surprised how many signature models have come and gone. Does that mean they've always used the best business sense? No. But it does mean they're willing to take chances on players other than Jimmy Page and the like. Not everyone's stick around like Clapton's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.