Fender U.S.A. Budget Ideas

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tele60x, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Calmac69

Calmac69 Tele-Meister

I believe the land of the rising sun MIJ / CIJ are what you seek......

I had CIJ and currently only own USA guitars but I regret selling my CIJ 52 with bigsby with texas specials and for that matter my Gretch Black Falcon....Build quality is second to none on the MIJ instruments.

Or as mentioned Hwy 1 or American Special but personally I'd go CIJ.
    However I have a Hwy 1 Strat ( update ) and I do certainly love it.

2. jhergert

jhergert Tele-Meister

I bought an ash MIM Standard FSR in butterscotch blonde and swapped the pickups for a Van Zandt in the bridge and a Harmonic Design Mini Strat in the neck and it might be the coolest and least expensive guitar that I own.

3. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would be willing to bet that FMIC would stop USA production altogether if they thought that enough buyers would make the leap to MIM products.

4. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

It seems they could be modeling Gibson.

USA = $2,000 + with a few "entry level" models.

MIM/Asian = $1,000 or less.

It increases the perceived value of an American made instrument.

Could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

5. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Gibson has a lot more entry level MIA models under $1000 than Fender does.

Fender has 4 MIA guitars under $1000, American Standard Tele and Strat and American Special Tele and Strat. Gibson has Les Paul Specials,Jrs, SGs, Les Paul Fadeds, Firebird. Over a dozen different guitars.

6. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

Umm. Point being?

7. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

The point being that it sharply contrasts with your own point about Fender possibly modelling Gibson with "a few entry level models".

Don't get it?

8. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

So, you're saying Fender isn't quite there yet because they have fewer American made guitars under a grand? I'll accept that. Thanks for clarifying.

9. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

The point is Gibson has quite a bit more than a "few" models under $1000.
    Over the last few years Gibson has introduced a large number of guitars in the under $1000 price point.

10. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

What I'm hearing is, Gibson is doing a better job reaching out to buyers
    by offering a broader selection of more budget priced American Guitars
    than Fender. You're both correct that Fender isn't trying to emulate
    Gibson's pricing structure. Fender is going out on a limb all their own.

I've also noticed, Gibson hasn't raised their prices to the extent Fender
    has either.

A '52 AVRI for $2K that sold for $1,250 two years ago. A $750 price
    increase in two years. Seriously?

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I looked at an American Special the other day with Texas Specials (which aren't CS) it had Jumbo frets, and I can't say for all of them, but the one I picked up had a lousy feeling neck, the finish wasn't very good, the edges weren't rolled and the frets I suppose you could get used to but made the guitar just clumsy feeling. In the case of this thing, I have played MIM guitars I liked better the MIM FSR Ash with Tex-Mex pickups sounded, played, and felt better to me. This is from an American Tele booster.

The reason I looked at it, is there is one like it on the local CL for $650 they claim is new. I thought about offering 5 bills for it, but after playing one, I don't want one at all, never mind dropping five bills on a used one. Anyone who has one, I'm not offering insult, I just wouldn't care for one, they are too close in price to the standard, which I like a whole lot better. I'm sure there are others that would feel differently and that's what makes horse racing.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This is a fairly well documented oddball fact; certain MIM models like Classic and Classic Players are great value in the UK while many USA models are comparatively pricey.

+

But I've looked at the whole of all the comments and answers on this thread. and I gotta say, for the most part, the subject is too complex for the glib and quick answers. Everyone is about half right, and half incomplete as I see it.

But.

#1: The American Standard and Series Teles are absolutely the very last guitars to use as starter material out of which to make American Vintage style Teles. The 800 pound gorilla is the dual action truss rod neck, and the 700 pound gorilla is that ANY elongated bridge of any source (Glendale, Fender, Callaham, Hipshot) simply is NOT a suitable replacement for the shorty 3 barrel style bridge assembly. You either do the Riverboat gambler conversion or you dowel and redrill the Series/Standard body for a Leo dimensions bridge or use your playing technique to disguise the difference. Anything else is a half measure.

13. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

If you look at Fender's Vintage Teles, they start with the Classics at $700 street price, Baja at $800 street, the Am Special would be a stretch to call vintage realy only the bridge is Vintage.

You don't get to another Vintage Tele until you get to the AVRIs at $1700 street and that is replaced by the Pure Vintage at $2000 Street.

Obviously they have access to sales figures I don't, but to me there seems to be way too big a hole in between.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not pretty, but I've seen $ 650 American Vintage 52s at places like the Fairfax Guitar Center location, enough times, and have seen so many examples of pristine AV52s for $ 1,000 in the USA (just the other day, MF blew out some nos AV62 Teles for $ 1,140.00). So, the $1,700 and $ 2,000 numbers are "funny" as far as I am concerned.

But more importantly, there's no congruence between MIA and MIM models - too many of the MIM models have no analog in the MIA line and the converse also.

The fact is, there's NO usa model Fender that's reasonable in price in the UK, it is just that the UK customers for some undisclosed reason, get a break on the Classic 50s and 60s and on the Classic Players, and to some extent on the MIM Standards, and on every other North America model (like the MIM Deluxe Nashville, yikes!!!!) they get screwed. However, they get their pick of all the MIJ models and normally we get a few scraps - not enough new MIJs from which to make a good find IMO in the USA.

15. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Made in the USA is not just a sticker, my friend.....try telling the workers in Corona, California that it is.

16. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

"The fact is, there's NO usa model Fender that's reasonable in price in the UK, it is just that the UK customers for some undisclosed reason, get a break on the Classic 50s and 60s and on the Classic Players, and to some extent on the MIM Standards, and on every other North America model (like the MIM Deluxe Nashville, yikes!!!!) they get screwed. However, they get their pick of all the MIJ models and normally we get a few scraps - not enough new MIJs from which to make a good find IMO in the USA"

Yes, i agree the MIM models are pretty cheap-ish, new 60's Classics for £500 etc but we Brits can get alot of the USA Fenders at a reasonable price.Over here i can buy the new Pure Vintage Fenders starting at £1495 while the same guitars are $1999 in the US. Oddly, the old AV 62 is dearer than the new AV's! http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/productlist.aspx?c=109&category=Solid+Fender+Telecaster+USA

17. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Ummm yeah, that's really a great point.

18. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Exactly, Fender's biggest competition these days is from the used guitars it has sold over the years.

As it stands now there really are so few guitars in Fender's line that I would buy at anywhere near the price they sell for.

It seems to me FMIC is targeting the ultra-budget market with the MIC Fender (which I think is a huge mistake, making Fenders in China), and the high priced Selects and new Pure Vintages.

I know Henry has plenty of problems and reasons not to like him, but I think over the last few years his product line strategy is far better than FMIC is doing.

19. notdave

notdave Tele-Afflicted

Great!

Except that £1495 = $2429 :rolleyes:

Anyone want to give us the actual US prices of (US$ equivalent in brackets):

Modern Player Tele £340 ($550)

MiM Standard Tele £390 ($630)

Blacktop HH Tele £475 (£890)

MiA Standard Tele £1020 ($1650)

Cabronita Tele £1375 ($2230)

Note that those are discounted prices, not recommended retail.

Anyone?

20. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Musician's Friend (large, internet retailer owned by Guitar Center) prices added above. These are their "regular" prices, not including discount coupons, and I've rounded them up from their "99.99" values :rolleyes: .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.