1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Twin Tonemaster or Katana MKII 2 x12

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by deano48, Jan 20, 2020.

1. deano48

deano48 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated on which one to go with.

2. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

Hard to say, the Fender costs twice as much, i would go with the Roland Jazz Chorus 40 ;););) but between the two probably the Katana not because is better but to me 1000 euro in one amp it's too much money in 2020, there are so many less expensive amps that sound great, also other options and it's too big, 40 watts are more than enough to me.

3. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I vote for Tonemaster, but only off the used market or some kind of sale price. The main reasoning is simply because not only does it sound good and lightweight, but it still looks the part. It looks like a real Twin where the Katana looks like....well, not a Twin.

I do think the Tonemasters are over-priced, but I expect them to drop a great deal by June once the new car smell is gone.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Tim T likes this.
  4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Tonemaster sounds like a Blackface Fender Twin Reverb. The Katana is voiced with more of a British flavor (think Marshall), so that should be the first thing to consider between the two.

5. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

They're worlds apart. Do you currently own a lot of effects? If not, and you'd like to use effects, the Boss is probably a great value. If you already own a pedalboard and really like it, then you'll be wasting the main selling point of the Katana. If you love endlessly tweaking and/or don't already know what a lot of different amps and cabinets sound like, this could be a great tool to figure out what types make you happy.

I own a Tonemaster Twin and absolutely love it. But that's because I wanted a Twin, and already have my core tones dialed in via pedals and just wanted a big, clean, punchy amp that I could record with silently and also get loud with. There's plenty of hot blood on this and other forums about the pricing and value of these amps, so I won't try to justify it here, but IMHO you get what you pay for.

Tommyd55 and Milspec like this.
  6. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

The TM's do what they do well, They cost wayyy more than a Kat.. The Kat , any of them are pretty versatile, but we are talking apples to oranges here.. They are so different you need to know what it is you are looking for.
    Only thing to do is go play them.. Both will probably last you a good long while..
    If the Katana is too busy in the extras dept you might look at a Boss Nextone Artist. They sound very good and are a simpler amp compared to the Katana.
    The Katana will probably take a little more time to get it sounding how you like.. That's just they way they are with so many options to deal with..
    I've never played a TM but I would think they are a bit more straight forward.
    pugnax post right above here makes some very good points. I have owned a Kat100 1x12 for a year an I also own a Nextone Stage. The Kat just has so much stuff I do not need that I see it as a bit wasteful, yet it is priced so inexpensive it hardly matters .. lol.. I play the Nextone practically all the time .. I think it sounds better and is so much less complicated, easy to get nice tones out of.. But if you don't have a pedal board lined out and you need the effects the Kat is a awesome option.. The Kat is pretty much in your face, but it can be tamed..
    The TM is what it is.. Definitely two different amps..

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Consider a Quilter, I'm not a big fan of the Katana amps, haven't tried the Tonemaster series and not likely to, definitely wouldn't buy a new one.

8. duoman

duoman TDPRI Member

Speaking of a new car smell, one of the things I enjoy about my Tonemaster Twin is the new amp smell.:)

9. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Afflicted

I saw a band at a club on lower Broadway Nashville last year. The lead player was using a Katana amp and he sounded great. It was a southern rock band, Skynyrd, etc. and he had several pedals. I don't know how it would sound in a lower volume country band setting.

Bluebird99 likes this.
  10. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi TelecasterSam!

I'm looking for my first amp, and I'll say right off the bat that I thought finding a guitar I liked was hard, but chosing an amp is even WORSE :)

Regardless, I'm strongly looking at the Katana Artist MKII, the Nextone, and the Tone Master Twin Reverb. The amp will be used exclusively for recording at my home studio (no live playing), and as of now I'm sure I will assemble a pedal board with just a few essential pedals,

You mention the Nashville player using pedals with his Katana, but I thought, as pugnax said, that the main advantage of the Katana is that it is for those who don't have a lot of effects.

So if he was using pedals with an amp whose strength is that it has built in pedals, that leads me to ask how his pedals would have sounded through a Tone Master?

Now you see how a screwed up mind like mine has so much trouble deciding on a guitar or amp :) :) :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  11. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Used tone master has no warranty. They are not transferrable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.