Fender Twin is it.

Silverface

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have a Few sweet Amps to choose from- but I ___"GO TO THE TWIN"___ because I'm a OLD MAN??? - I think so...
I've flipped a few. But the only Twin I own - or would, other than a tweed - is my blonde '60.

The blondes and tweeds are the only Twins that can be played at reasonable volume levels. BF & SF Twins have to be turned up to far too high a volume level before the frequency response opens up and the speakers are driven sufficiently - unless you pull two tube and use 25 watt or lower speakers.

Too heavy and too loud. Haven't seen one used in a club in over 15 years.

Chicago Matt

Friend of Leo's
I'm an "OG" who also finally sold off my 65 Twin Reverb after 40 years (I bought it it 1969). It had two EV SROs in it and weighed around 85 lbs. It was a great amp, but I don't miss it. That's only because I'm still an "OG" who keeps coming back to a Twin (occasionally), although today its a 2005 Tweed Twin RI. At 40watts and 53lbs, its a bit more manageable than my blackface was. And I love the sound - more mids, rich cleans and beautiful OD at less than ear splitting volume.

Here's link to what it sounds like.That's the Tweed Twin RI in back. What you don't see is the BadCat Unleash attenuator/reamp to the left of the amp. Had to knock of quite a few db for that gig.

Last edited:

glenlivet

Tele-Afflicted
I've said it before, and I stick by it.... IMO the SF twin is the amp by which all other amps are measured.
(both in weight and sound :) )
Nothing quite fills a room (even at low volume) like a twin.
It moves a lot of air.

Brent Hutto

Tele-Afflicted
I've said it before, and I stick by it.... IMO the SF twin is the amp by which all other amps are measured.
(both in weight and sound :) )
Nothing quite fills a room (even at low volume) like a twin.
It moves a lot of air.
Moving a lot of air is a synonym for "loud". That's definitely one of the strong points of a Twin, if you want "loud" and "clean" it's hard to beat.

But there's no such thing as playing at low volume but moving a lot of air. Or maybe by "low volume" you mean "Volume on 2.5"! ;)

Trenchant63

Tele-Meister
I didn’t go back to a Twin, but have gone back to clean amps over the years. Also - my playing involves far less overdriven tunes than I used to play. Everyone’s got their own reasons, but for me somehow my interest in clean guitar playing and listening and really intensified as I got older (now in my late 50s). Not sure why this is the case.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
My older buddy is 65 or so and has a mid- to late-60s Twin in his basement he never uses. He just keeps it like a pot of gold.

I played through a nice one once and for fun turned up the volume gradually ... until I got scared. It was so loud at 4 that I started to feel panicked.

I respect those things, even if they just sit there in the basement.

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
Being a fan of the Twin for over 40 years, I was very pleasantly surprised when I first tried out the TM version. Right now my primary gig is with my church's praise team. So the DO and the power attenuator fit right into the scheme of things. And, I can carry the thing (Yeah !!!)

Bill Moore

Tele-Afflicted
My first complete amp build was an AB763 Twin. I built it to play steel guitar through, and it really does the job. I intended a head build, but a friend traded me a MoJo combo cab so I used it. Replaced the baffle to use an EV SRO 15, and sometimes add an extension cab with a K130 JBL. The tone doesn't get any better than that!

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
I've flipped a few. But the only Twin I own - or would, other than a tweed - is my blonde '60.
BF & SF Twins have to be turned up to far too high a volume level before the frequency response opens up and the speakers are driven sufficiently

That's a big negatory on the mid 70's SF Twins, that had a master volume.

They could do bedroom quiet and sound fantastically. Done it many times.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Not a TR but a '90s era Super Amp, 60 watts, 2 channel, 4x10 with 6L6s and hefty iron. I've had one before back in the day. Been looking for years to get another, finally everything aligned and I brought it home last week. According to the manual, it weighs 60 pounds. For me, it's more about the awkward bulk than the total weight. It sure ain't no one-hander for me at 64 years of age.

It has master volume controls, which help a lot. Even at the same db level as my Princeton, it just has this fullness and depth in my tiny office that is uncanny. It's going to be a grand companion to my JCM 2000 DSL 50 half stack.

Pics or it didn't happen:

*and yes, I know about the grill cloth*

bewFLRV.jpg
Why is that a combo and not a head and cab? 4x10s are great but it’s such an awkward format.

bluesfordan

Friend of Leo's
Why is that a combo and not a head and cab? 4x10s are great but it’s such an awkward format.
Indeed. I happen to have a very good cabinet maker in town. I should ask how much it would cost to make a head shell and matching 4x10 cab. The only question is, what cosmetic to go for? Tweed? Blonde? Brown? Iridescent snakeskin? Ostrich leather?

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My twin is a Peavey Classic 50 and I'm not much of a gigger, but I do like the sound of it, even in my dinky little music room. I keep it turned up pretty good (blow you out of the house level) and control the volume with the guitar volume. It has a nice rich clean sound at any level I can stand.

I have taken it out on the porch a few times and "aired it out". I'm sure the neighbors are impressed.