Fender Twin, hello old friend.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 6l6-57, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

I love my Twins too, you did well to keep it all those years.

My 1966 has the first Gen JBL D131F speakers in the factory JBL special order.

A road case makes easy transport. When you pull the case top off, the bottom dolly is handy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BobbyZ, FenderLover, RedRock and 5 others like this.
  2. Maradona86

Maradona86 Tele-Meister

Great amps but heavy as a mofo (mine was loaded with Tone Tubbies; AlNiCo and ceramic 12s). Mine served me well for a decade but it was time to move on. I have a Vox Pathfinder15R, Vox AC15, a Peavey 1 15 Delta Blues and a 5F6A Bassman build that cover all the bases and won't kill my back.

drlucky likes this.
  3. 6l6-57

6l6-57 Tele-Meister

So, I was wondering what Neo means, and I did a search. I went to Jensons site and I am not sure the Neo's are still available. What would be a good speaker that would cut weight and still sound good?

Fret Wilkes likes this.
  4. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Eminence Lil Texas

6l6-57 likes this.
  5. Brian Wright

Brian Wright Tele-Meister

Neodymium magnets are used to make many speakers today because they are much lighter. Either because the metal itself is lighter or less metal is needed to make the magnet.

6l6-57 likes this.
  6. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

JBL used to make 2" exit compression drive units for concert PA horns , they weighed almost 30 lbs each . Now Neo mag drivers do the same job in those big line array systems , same output etc about 4 lbs

thegeezer and 6l6-57 like this.
  7. Rick J

Rick J Tele-Holic

Didn’t you all know? It’s a little known fact that Fender Twins get heavier as they get older. When I bought a used Twin when I was about 30 years old I could carry it in one hand and a guitar in the other. Now I’m 68 I couldn’t even lift it up off the floor with both hands. I swear it has doubled in weight.

Seriously though - I’ll never play a better amp than my old Twin. But I finally sold it a year ago. I’m not playing gigs that need the volume, and smaller amps are much better than they were - and SS amps have improved beyond recognition.
    So I have my old Princeton Reverb which I use when I can, for that old Fender magic. And Roland produce the goods for a bit more volume for bigger stuff.

But nothing compares to a Twin. Shame mine put on so much weight........

Rick J

8. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Yes Sir!
    I still have mine with EV speakers,Not going anywhere soon let alone try to carry it out of my basement.:)

6l6-57 likes this.
  9. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

I recently sold my late 90's TRRI. I loaded it with a pair of neo speakers and it was still heavier than I wanted to lug around and far louder than I needed for any of my gigs. I think in all the time I owned it I gigged it maybe 3 times.

One of the best clean jazz amps ever made though, if you can deal with the weight.

Now my loud amp is a '59 Bassman LTD. Also one of the best clean jazz amps ever made, but still portable. However, the amp I gig the most is a PRRI.

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

When Fender added the master volume they changed the cabinets making the speakers offset like that. Somewhere around '72? I remember seeing the Beach Boys playing through those new Twins with JBL's and the silver cones were offset. It looked wrong to me.

My Twin is a fake. It's a '68 Dual Showman Reverb head with a reissue Twin BF faceplate. I run it into a 2 x 12" small Bassman style cabinet with JBL K-120's. It doesn't get played near enough. I can hardly lift the head, let alone the cab. But it sure sounds good. I used to go out in the garage and entertain the neighbors with it. :cool:

6l6-57 likes this.
  11. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

The Neodymium magnet the most widely used type of rare-earth magnet, is a permanent magnet made from an alloy of neodymium, iron and boron to form the Nd2Fe14B tetragonal, whatever that means.
    The rare earth magnets are the strongest for the smallest size.

Those massive 12 per side JBL Line Array speakers are much lighter than the first generation.

I have Mackie Industrial series Neos
    For a 808S home system.

Don't let the size fool you, the new Neo speakers keep getting better.

12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

When it’s time to move out of your house it will be like dealing with an old upright piano. “The Twin goes with the house.”

Piggy Stu, Matt G, 6l6-57 and 2 others like this.
  13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If you get robbed, just call around to local hospitals to see who came in with a hernia.

drlucky, 6l6-57 and jimbo735 like this.
  14. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

All these together are heavier than a Twin, and take up more space. I find I can use my Twin for just about anything, even playing bass at lower volumes (and “low” on an Twin is louder than “moderate” on many other amps).

I’ve gotten rid of my other amps, and now use my Twin for everything.

15. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I have a red knob from '88. Sounds amazing for cleans and the reverb is almost limitless. Incredible pedal platform. Weighs around 50kg I would guess but I'm always happy to put it in the boot of my car when playing out.

6l6-57 likes this.
  16. 6l6-57

6l6-57 Tele-Meister

My amp put on weight and so did I.

jguitarman likes this.
  17. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

When Fender went to the new cab design with the glued,-in baffle and offset speakers they also went with a cheaper grade pine that is glued up using end grain butt finger joints.

[​IMG]

In the 1950s Fender used D-Select Pine for the cabinets. Then when CBS started cutting corners they used #2 & #3 Common grade wood. Its heavier than the pine used in the Tweed, Brown & Blackface amps.

Not only is the pine heavier, it has the glued- in baffle MDF baffle, then the Velcro fastened grille cloth piece.

These new designed cabs added more weight and complicated the speaker removal process. It also caused many broken Velcro framed grilles from people pulling them off without pulling the chassis first. It also was the cause for many dented Silver face faceplates from people using a screw driver to try and pull the Velcro grille cover off.

To sum it up, the 4 screw removable baffle was the cab design that used the single piece of pine ( no finger joints) and was the last side by side speaker for The Twin Reverb.

This is one of the reasons people like Pre 1971 Twin Reverbs.

But to me the circuits and components of the amps were still top notch.The blue drop Mallory caps are really good.
    The UL Twins in another class.

Many people who buy a UL or later Twin will have JD Newell or other cab company built a #2 Pine cab with the single removable Baltic baffle to make the amp lighter. This and the new Neo designed Speakers and The Twin Reverb is not a heavy tank anymore.

18. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, but those gigantic horns looked awesome. And to do a gig with a few of those stacked on top those enormous 2x15 JBL deep baffled cabs, driven by a pile of Crown DC300 power amps...sublime.

You could definitely wind up the old Twin Reverb. Might want a Dual Showman cab under it for good measure.

macaroonie likes this.
  19. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

Yeah, mine is a bit of a bitza as well. '70 Dual Showman Reverb combo'd in a '74ish (glued baffle, offset speakers) Twin cabinet. I replaced the DSR plate with a repro Non-MV SFTR control plate. Serial numbers are in sequence from DSR to SFTR of that year, so the only giveaway to the casual eye is the baffle and grill cloth.
    But who cares, it SOUNDS gloriously Twin Reverb!

20. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Swampyyankee, do you ever get any problems from all that volume rattling all those tubes?

It amazes me that tube-rattle and other combo problems will afflict chassis being hit with far less acoustic force than Twin chassises are hit with. How the hell do the guts not get damaged in a Twin?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.