Fender Twin, hello old friend.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 6l6-57, Mar 4, 2018.

1. 6l6-57

6l6-57 Tele-Meister

I got my amp back from the repair shop Friday. The reverb had stopped working some time ago and I knew it needed some maintenance. The tech replaced the reverb tank and all the capacitors. He cleaned and checked everything and put in new power tubes. I haven’t had much time to play it, but it speaks with authority now.

I have had this amp for 35 years. I bought it in 83/84 when I was twenty-five. Guitars and amps have come and gone but I always kept this one. It has become a touchstone now. One of the few things I still have from my youth.
    IMG_9611 (3).JPG

IMG_9612 (2).JPG

GFrank, JL_LI, Tele1966 and 28 others like this.
  2. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

Nice original survivor. Wish I had kept the Twin I bought new back in '75. Just got a 70 pieced together and I realized what I've been missing out on all these years since.
    A touchstone indeed.

RedRock, zephyrR1 and 6l6-57 like this.
  3. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Good on ya. I want a Twin so bad I can taste it.

6l6-57 likes this.
  4. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

But can you lift it? Mine has 2 JBLs and it's ridiculous to pick up.

Chicago Matt and TigerG like this.
  5. Brian Wright

Brian Wright Tele-Meister

Good for you! I like to see when someone has a great piece of equipment for decades.

6l6-57 likes this.
  6. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

I had an early 1990s 65 TwinRI that I left at my son's house because I could no longer get it upstairs to my music room. I bought a Deluxe Reverb RI to replace it. The other day I was at my son's house and I plugged into my old Twin. Now I remembered why I bought it in the first place. It has a nice fat clean sound, with plenty of headroom. I am at a cross-roads; do I get it back from my son? It's tempting. Although, it hasn't gotten any lighter.

GFrank and 6l6-57 like this.
  7. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Get it back and install a stair lift.

8. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

I still have my '74 that I picked up in '76. Man, that's 42 years now. I had it re-capped a few years back and it has a little something going on with the 'verb and trem right now so I'll tend to that shortly.

It would be hard to part with. I don't use it much but it sounds great and it's an old friend.

9. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

there are no better combo amps than the Twin. Regardless of what people say, they sound great all the way up from nothing to full bore. This is the sound that every other Fender amp is chasing. BUT, if you are considering weight first , before the value of the sound, then this is NOT the amp for you.

IF you desire the common break-up at 4 on the knob, this is not the amp for you.

Twins are not about LOUD, they are about CLEAN with no break-up. Thats the entire point of Fenders quad 6L6 platform. OF course we all know this but will still argue it's too loud !

Although I am now Twin-less , I imagine that could change in a NY minute if the right one crosses my path ...again....For about 25 years, thats 1/4 of Century, a Twin was the only amp I used. Well over 1000 gigs, same amp, not a single failure !

Tele1966, Matt G, RedRock and 6 others like this.
  10. 6l6-57

6l6-57 Tele-Meister

Just barely.

11. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Looks just like mine.

I got mine some years ago quite cheap. It worked, but it was a little noisy, and the volume would fade in and out. I replaced the capacitors, and did a black face conversion, now it's a sweet amp. Turned on and plugged in, it makes no hum or background noise, though for some weird reason, if I turn up the reverb, I pick up a local radio station.

As T Prior said, they sound great at all volumes.

12. estreet

estreet Tele-Holic

I had one of those too. The 135 Watt version with the oversized transformer for a bit of extra weight. The heaviest 2x12 combo ever made.... ridiculous is right. However it did have God's own clean sound. Mine started going wrong a lot and the case started cracking - I later found that the roadies we had at the time were sliding it down two flights of stairs at the venue we played every Monday because none of them would carry it!

P Thought, Brian Wright and 6l6-57 like this.
  13. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

Plenty of folks have split them into piggy back set up. Also a single 15 is lighter than 2 x 12 , and then there is the Neo option.

RedRock, archetype and Brian Wright like this.
  14. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've never had a twin, but my neighbor has a 64. it likes any guitar, but it is a whole 'nother thing when you plug a tele into it. it loves telecasters. that is a sound unlike anything else I've heard - it's like magic.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

6l6-57 likes this.
  16. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Me too. Bought one new in 1969.

Funny, but mine didn't have the speakers offset like this. I didn't know they made them in this configuration.

Am I remembering this wrong? Can't be.

17. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

I’ve got a 68 in a head rescued from the oblivion of a barn years ago...sounds amazing, especially with the normal channel voice closer to a Super Bassman.... the amp was essentially free-the only money I’ve got in it are tubes and all caps, blackface mod,etc

I’m thinking a pair of Neo- speakers in a new combo box, and I’ve got what, a (today’s value) a $3200 combo that covers 100% of the gigs I’ll ever play, impeccable sound, etc...

And no heavier really than a 112 MusicMan with an EV...

RedRock, macaroonie and 6l6-57 like this.
  18. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I also have a "rescued" Twin Reverb - mid 70's. Somewhere around 1980 I sold it, and a 54 ES-175, to a friend for $500. A few years ago that friend sold the ES-175 (which was a rescue guitar) for $3000, but I got the Twin back from him for free. He had left it in the announcer's shack at the little ball field where his daughter played fast-pitch softball for several years. I used it for a while (and often with a Tele), but like many I didn't want to deal with the weight any longer. I like the idea of splitting it into a head and cab, but by the time I could get that accomplished I'll be long retired from playing out.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  19. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I have my 83 to 86 (not sure of exact date)Twin reverb II, don't really play it that often but when I do as the OP said "it speaks with authority"

RedRock and 6l6-57 like this.
  20. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Twin with Lil Texas Neos, cuts weight to about 55 lbs, very manageable, and there are many lesser amps that weigh much more.

GFrank and RedRock like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.