1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Twin Amp or Bassman

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by polymolly, Mar 30, 2009.

1. polymolly

polymolly Tele-Meister

I would really like your opinion on this:

I have a fender twin-amp, from 2000. Huge. In sound and weight...
    I use it without two 6L6, for less power. It's quite a versatile amp. Two "fender design" speakers.

A guy proposed to trade it for a fender bassman 59 RI. Those with 4 jensen speakers.

I like the vintage sound of it, like the rockabilly sound. But it lacks reverb. No power reduction capabilities as the twin.

Oh the choosing! always so hard!!!! :cry:

2. 4 Strings

4 Strings Tele-Holic

Welcome to the TDPRI!

Is the Twin that you have a Twin Reverb? If it is and if it has too much power for your needs, then I wouldn’t hesitate trading it for a Bassman, or perhaps better yet a Tweed Twin, a Tweed Super or even a Tweed Deluxe.

I am a Tweed head myself and as such I am by no means objective. However if it was my Twin Reverb I’d trade it in a second for anything Tweed larger than a Princeton (a Bassman RI is loud as he££ though).

A little more information would make it easier for us to help (?) you decide.

What kind of music do you play?
    Do you gig with your amp?
    If so, how large are the venues?
    What artists/which sound are you looking for?
    What budget do you have?
    Is building your own amp from a kit an alternative? (Remember there are loads of great people here eager to help you!)

Good luck!

A.

3. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's a tough one and only you know the answer. I'll say this: I've owned two Twin Reverbs over the years and one early RI Bassman. I've sold or traded all of them over time. Five years later I still miss the Bassman. They're surprisingly flexbile despite their seeming lack of gadgetry. They have a great clean sound and a great overdriven sound. You won't get much of a natural overdriven sound from a Twin Reverb and if you do it will be unreasonably loud. The Bassman is also lighter and easier to move around. Just my two cents worth. I'm sure you'll enjoy either one.

4. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I'd go for the Bassman. It may not have a reverb control knob on it but it's got it's own natural reverb from the large cabinet and 4 speakers set into a large baffle board. It can ring for ages with a very natural reverb tone. I had one in the past and my DRRI had to have the reverb knob up around 3 to get a similar level of reverb.

It's just there in the Bassman every time you play a note.

Great amps....

5. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

'59 Bassman RI over the Twin for me as well...

6. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Yeah I would go with Bassman myself. They are loud at 40 to 50 watts and you can effects like delay, reverb, tremolo, chorus, etc. But you still have the one problem with weight which I think is pretty common with amps like the bassman, twin, etc.

Aka heavy transformers and chokes.

7. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There's a real hate on around these parts for the Twin so I'd imagine most will recommend the Bassman, but I'd echo picking the one you think sounds the best for your purposes.

8. justapasinthru

justapasinthru TDPRI Member

Greetings.....

A couple of questions.....i assume the bassman is in reasonable condition..and since you say it has the jensens..a fairly newer one?...if it were and LTD version....i wouldn't hesitate..but would surely hope you inquire about it's vintage to asses a fair matched value....as well as play it to your satisfaction

also if you need a clean sounding primarily country amp...you possibly could miss the built in reverb...for some things...but if it was really necessary it it could patched in line by a good amp tech....(a patch loop i mean)

I would never be without my 59 LTD bassman...as long as i "plug in"....it just does all i need....

9. Cleeve

Cleeve Tele-Holic

Twins are so heavy, so very heavy.. Great for pedal steel though!
    So if you like to lift weights and aspire to learn the pedal steel, twin, otherwise bassman.

10. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well, as a matter of course, a Bassman RI will be making roughly the same power as a Twin with two 6L6s pulled. So that's largely a wash. And though I've never owned either, I've never heard anyone complain that a Bassman wasn't loud enough, and quite a few 'damn, that's loud' threads...which sounds like it's exactly where you are now with your twin.

Consider this: If you're not in love with the Twin, so try out the bassman. If you don't love it, either, you've got roughly the same amount of amplifier to take shopping as a trade on a DRRI.

The hunt continues.

11. wierdOne

wierdOne Tele-Holic

I had a 64 twin for two weeks... got rid of it as soon as i could.... too much amp...

but a bassman with 4 10s..... mmmm.... that's making my fingers tingle....

12. 4 Strings

4 Strings Tele-Holic

+1

I like this slightly sacrilegious but, I am afraid, correct description of tube amps:

Rule 3:
    Buy an amp as though you were going to turn around and sell it in within the year. Don't fall in love with a bad amp. A good amp is like a Chevy pickup truck. There a lot of them out there and there is not much difference between them. Get two or three that you like that are in decent condition and you can always sell them to help pay the rent if the economy tanks.

Rule 4:
    Buy as many amps as you can find room for. One amp is not going to cover all situations. After a while you'll realize that one of you amps never gets played through. You sell that amp and buy another. You tastes will change, you life situation will change, and your playing style will even change. One size amp definitely doesn't fit all.

(From http://www.harpamps.com/ampg/ampg2.html)

Though I myself have proved completely incapable of living by this rule, I like it as a general way of looking at things, and amps specifically. I do not agree with all of it though, I would argue that there actually is quite some difference between different amps.

13. wierdOne

wierdOne Tele-Holic

wow.. that's awesome.... We should come up with a "tele amp rule thread".... that'd be pretty cool.

14. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I own a Twin Reverb and a Bassman RI; the TR* is one of my favorites - it ain't for sale in other words. The Bassman RI sounds great but I find myself always going Twin Reverb, mainly because it always out. To my ears The Bassman sounds great with FX and The Twin will instantly expose all weaknesses in an effect pedal. Before You move "The Twin"
    see if You can borrow a Voodoo Sparkle Drive for a couple of days - then decide.
    There's a LOT MORE Bassman Reissues for sale than there are Your particular model Twin - so take in the "value down the road apiece" too.
    SparkleDrive...

*Dripguard '68/'69.

15. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like the twin, but for rockabilly, a bassman may be better suited.

I long for a twin reverb.

16. polymolly

polymolly Tele-Meister

first of all, I would would like to thank each one of you for your replies (wow, seems like I've just won a oscar!). I'm terribly sorry but I've been on vacation during the easter holiday and wasn't able to reply to you guys earlier.

In the meantime, I've canceled the trade. I guess I'd be happy with the bassman for awhile, but then I'd be missing the twin-amp. I even miss my first amp, a Hughes&kettner surf edition, like this one

http://www.musikschule-benger.de/cc_images/cache_121711902.jpg

I'm decided I'll buy (as soon as I get the money) a Princeton reverb reissue. Maybe then I'll sell my twin, but I guess 4Strings advice ("Rule 4") is really priceless...

Again, thanks for your opinions. They all have beem great advice!

17. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

You should buy the amp that you will be happy with.

18. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

poly
    I'm still curious which "Twin" you have. The two Twin amps with which I'm familiar: (red knob) Twin and "the Twin" (evil twin) have low power options- a switch for 25 watts power; so you don't have one of those, or you wouldn't need to pull two tubes.
    Whichever, I think you made a good choice. I have an old Twin Reverb and I'll never sell it. It sounds so big and can do so much, I miss it whenever I travel by plane and have to use a different amp.

19. polymolly

polymolly Tele-Meister

I have a 94 twin-amp from 2001. 3 channels (clean, gain and - YUCK! - distortion); reverb; effects loop; no vibrato. It has a low power switch plus the "2 or 4" valves option. With 4 valves, the output can be set to either 100w or 25w. With 2 valves, either 60w or 15w. It's a shame that with all this changes the weight is always the same...

EDIT: the manual is here

http://www.ampwares.com/schematics/Twin_Amp.pdf

20. g6120

g6120 Tele-Meister

The twin black tolex is a fine amplifier but im kinda a stick in the mud because i just love tweed guitar amps and i have a tweed twin also a tweed bassman .

My vote is for the tweed bassman and i would be looking for a easlier version of the reissues with the blue speakers rather the the current jensens .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.