1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Tuff Dog knockoff.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Not debating the issue of buying a knockoff, because I never have, and probably won't, BUT! A bud of mine found one somewhere local and brought it by my place yesterday, and to tell the truth I found it ASTONISHING how good it sounded and how good it played. A lot has been said about the bolt on necks, and I'm not sure that neck through design was what made the difference, but that guitar sounded more like a Tele should than either of the AVRI 52s that I have owned. It had Brent Mason kind of GROWL! Three distinct positions, and all of them GOOD! The bridge position? Just WOW!

Of course it's wrong to buy something that ignores our copyright laws, but I'm just saying if someone can build a dynamite Tele like that for next to nothing, and sell it for so little, why can't at least Fender China do it? Maybe he found the one in a million, I don't know, but I'm telling you one thing, I doubt a real Tuff dog would be 25 Times as good!

Maybe after the last of the real Dogs are gone, (supposed final sell off going on now) Fender will come out with a Squier, or Modern Player Tuff Dog. I would buy one (maybe 2) in a heart beat if they could replicate the China Dog.

2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

What's a tuff dog?

3. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

The Merle Haggard Custom Shop special Telecaster.

4. Toto'sDad

One of these, they are cool. My bud wanted one for a long time, he can't afford one, ran across a copy and bought it. It doesn't really look like a Tuf Dog on close examination, more like when it's closing time and the gal down at the end of the bar starts looking like Katy Perry. Still it looks a lot like one, and is decently finished, it has a big old honkin' neck, that's what I liked and the way it sounded. To be honest, I never really cared for them just looking at Merle's on youtube, and on the Marty Stuart show until I saw the copy, now if I found a real one in a dumpster, I'd probably do the happy, happy whistle as I fished it out.

Real one:

Attached Files:

5. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Old thread but new news... Looks like the Fender CS will be making more for just $6700 or so...

6. Toto'sDad

I probably won't be buying one at $6700 but I sure would like to play a real one sometime to see how it compared to the knock off. The knock off felt as good as any Tele at any price I've ever played. The neck man that was the thing, PERFECT!

arnie5150 likes this.
  7. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

I own one and feel the same way. It just feels right and sounds great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.