1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender TRRI footswitch for tremolo only

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Devanatha, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Devanatha

Devanatha TDPRI Member

I have a new Fender Twin Reverb Custom 15 (amp part is identical to TRRI), with the two button footswitch that connects via one single stereo plug. For two reasons, I dislike it. It is way too easy accidentaly hitting both buttons when on stage, and the signal passes right through it, picking up EMI noise on the way. The latter problem I've partially solved by shielding the rubber sole with copper tape, but the first problem remains. Also, I don't really need a reverb on/off, I use reverb all the time in varying amounts.

Is there a one-button footswitch that will work on the tremolo only, and keep the reverb always on? It doesn't have to be vintage styled.

2. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Disconnect the wires to the reverb switch.

3. Devanatha

Devanatha TDPRI Member

Won't that just short out the reverb?

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

It should not. Unplug the footswitch to verify this, but the switch is not needed for the reverb...it is ‘live’ unless the switch takes it to ground. The trem circuit has to have the switch in order to be functional....it has to be taken to ground to work. You could wire both switches to function on the trem only so that no matter which button you hit the switching for the trem will get done.
    I have to admit that in all of these many decades I cannot recall anyone else having that problem with these switches. Good luck with it.

5. Devanatha

Devanatha TDPRI Member

Thank you so much, @Wally and @teleplayr ! I will definitely do this.

Actually, I know other people who has had problems with noise when the reverb is engaged. The shielding I did got rid of it almost completely. But I'd really prefer having just one functional button, since I never switch the reverb off.

Wally likes this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

devanatha, I was speaking of the switching problem of hitting two buttons at once.

7. Devanatha

Devanatha TDPRI Member

Ah! I have big feet. And sometimes wear boots on stage.

8. jorbjorb

jorbjorb Tele-Meister

The reverb doesn't work on my footswitch, only tremelo. I can get reverb to work when I remove the footswitch. Kind of annoying because I'd like to play the reverb/tremelo at the same time. Anyone know the fix?

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

delete

10. schmee

hard to say without more info, but what amp? A reissue like the OP's or vintage? RCA jacks or the TRS 1/4" jack?

11. jorbjorb

jorbjorb Tele-Meister

12. schmee

I'd take a peek inside the jack. the cover just screws off right? Look for wires that are grounding to the case (this may be one little strand of wire come loose) or broken from the solder. If you had a stereo jack (ie: TRS Tip Ring Sleeve) you could plug it in and test.

13. jorbjorb

jorbjorb Tele-Meister

Yup the cover screws off. I’ll take a look in there. Thank you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.