Fender Tre-Verb?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Telecaster88, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

Any thoughts on this pedal? I was planning on just getting the old classic BOSS Tremolo, but saw this one. Would be nice to have Fender-y Reverb and Trem in one pedal, but at 2.5 times the cost of the BOSS?

Thanks.

2. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I've only read good things about the new Tre-Verb. The Trem side does more than the BOSS by including a harmonic trem style. And then you get three types of reverb (although the difference between a '63 and '65 is probably pretty subtle to not noticeable in a band mix). Another cool feature is that there is a toggle to switch the order of the effects.

That said, if you don't need or want a reverb pedal or if you just need the basics then get the BOSS.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  3. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Is this a Flint clone? Seems like it's all the same controls plus a level for the tremolo.

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

The Mr. Black Deluxe Plus has a great Fender reverb and tremolo in one compact housing.

Obsessed and Telecaster88 like this.
  5. Telecaster88

Thanks -- I ended up going with the BOSS -- tried and true, and I know I'll like it!

RetroTeleRod and 4pickupguy like this.
  6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just bought a used Tre-Verb on Reverb for about 2/3 the cost of new. Haven't got it yet but it looks brand new, still in original packaging.

I will update the post when I get it. Right now I have a Boss Tremolo + Digitech Polara. I've wanted to try a dual Reverb/Trem pedal for quite a while to free up space, and I use very little of the Polara functionality. Probably 90% of the time I use the Spring algorithm on the Polara, and i use the Plate about 7% of the remaining time... so it's been on my mind to see if I can get an even better Spring/Plate simulation.

The Tre-Verb should be better than the Boss Tremolo given it has a level control and simulates 3 different kinds of Tremolos, but we'll see. There's absolutely nothing wrong with either of the pedals I have right now. It's just if the Tre-Verb can replace 2 then it frees up space for something else.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  7. beninma

Thought I'd check back in, here are my initial thoughts on the Tre-Verb.

- The overall sound quality is very very high. Everything sounds extremely natural. Build quality is very very nice as well.

- When you power the pedal up it defaults to both Reverb & Tremolo on. I suppose this is supposed to be the same as the amps since the amps don't really have on-off switches and they'd come up as "on" if you left the dials set to on? (I know the amps have foot switches so I'm not sure) This is not really my favorite, I'd rather it defaulted to "off", at least for Tremolo.

- It seems kind of hard to dial in reverbs that are subtle. This is a great pedal if you want to be "absolutely drenched in reverb". Great for Surf type stuff. For me not necessarily wanting to do that I am right now using the '65 reverb. I have the Tone, Dwell, and Blend set to no more than 9 o'clock. That's still a pretty decent amount of reverb. If you set everything to noon it's a LOT of reverb. The flip side of this is because the audio quality is so great these long trails sound great. But if you don't want really long trails, really bright trails, etc.. it might not be fore you.

- '63 vs '65 is subtle, they both are pretty wet & drippy. It's going to take more time to get a handle on that. I could have been fine with the pedal only having one of these options. The Plate is very distinctly different so it's good it has that.

- The Tone settings for the reverb tend towards quite bright and present. I'm finding I want it set almost full dark.

- I've never used an outboard fender reverb tank. I have played the Deluxe Reverb a few times. I feel like it is easier to dial in subtle vs extreme reverb on the amp than the pedal. But otherwise it does sound very similar. But I've never owned the amp so maybe the knob positions are actually pretty similar.

- Tremolo is a lot easier to get started with. The adjustment ranges are easier to work with. I'm not sure I have a strong opinion on the Bias Tremolo vs the Opto Tremolo. The Harmonic Tremolo is very nice but I've never used one before so it seems to take some learning to figure out the best depths. Some of these settings seem like they can make the guitar sound more bright, particularly the harmonic trem when playing chords.

- The footswitches in this pedal are really nice high quality "quiet" switches.

I am going to stick with it a while, it's growing on me. But a couple of these items, particularly the "tends towards drenched in reverb easily" give me pause and make me wonder if I will decide not to stick with this pedal.

8. Telecaster88

Thanks for the in-depth review!

9. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

Thanks for the review! I have a Flint that does a lot of the same stuff, but surfy outboard reverb is not one of them. Strymon specifically says the spring setting on the Flint is a 2-spring, combo-amp type; I would think that's the '65 setting on the Tre-Verb.

10. beninma

Either the '63 or '65 gets surfy enough for me. It's pretty darn surfy. I think I am preferring the '65 so far as it's a bit less surfy.

Really it's fine for non-surfy stuff, I just feel like for non-surfy use the range on the dials could be a bit better.

Someone who loves to play surf music will be happy the dials are the way they are though.

scelestus likes this.
  11. beninma

OK.. so I've had some more time to play through the Tre-Verb this week. Probably 4-5 hours of practice.

Last night I plugged my Polara back into the pedal board so I could A:B against the Tre-Verb. Played around for a couple hours, lots of fun.

The Polara is a ridiculously good sounding reverb too, but less hyper focused on realism than the Tre-Verb.

Here are some interesting things I noticed about the Tre-Verb. My guess is the other newer pedals that are hyper focused on spring accuracy probably have some similar characteristics:

• Polara has Level (Mix), Liveliness (Tone), Decay (Dwell), the Tre-Verb calls them Blend, Dwell, Tone
    • There are a bunch of Spring settings on the Tre-Verb where you can actually dial in the Polara to the point you probably can't tell them apart A:B. Most of these sound really great. But there are some on the Tre-Verb you probably can't make the Polara do because it's less accurate/realistic.
    • The Polara will "drip" on settings the Tre-Verb won't. My feeling is the Tre-Verb is being more accurate here, you need to increase the dwell/blend up to a point where there is a larger amount of reverb. On the Polara the drip is accentuated by the liveliness.. you can actually dial in a short reverb with a lot of drip. The Polara seems like it might be trying to simulate a very large spring tank
    • Spring tails seem to "sizzle" sometimes. The Tre-Verb seems to simulate this carefully as a distortion based on level. The Polara seems to have a more fixed amount of "sizzle" in the tails. I briefly owned an Oceans 11 and it had a what seemed to be a ridiculous amount of this "sizzle" all the time, even more than the Polara, but the Polara is really obvious too. On the Tre-Verb you need to dial in a ton of reverb and then probably put a really hot signal in to start hearing this. I had both reverbs in the FX loop of my amp, it would probably be useful to try this in front of the amp with a drive pedal.
    • Tre-Verb has a modulated Plate algorithm. The Polara has 2 settings which are Plates.. one is modulated one is not. The advantage here is that the modulated algorithm on the Polara has more modulation.. Fender probably had to try and hit a middle ground since it was only one. That said both of them have great Plate settings. The Plate on the Tre-Verb interacts with Tremolo really nicely
    • The Tre-Verb might not have as much modulation in that plate.. but it interacts with modulation in really amazing ways. I have a DMM in front of the reverbs, turning on modulated sounds on the DMM causes the Tre-Verb to react in really phenomenal ways. I want to say it sounds a lot better than the Polara or other less realistic reverbs combining the two. Pretty interesting, I don't know if this is some kind of organic quality because the algorithm in the Tre-Verb is so complex. I would summarize this as feeling like even thought the Tre-Verb doesn't do the modulation on it's own, a real modulation pedal in front of the Tre-Verb seems like it could be a lot better than a Reverb pedal adding in its own modulation.

Telecaster88 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.