Fender Tre-Verb or Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mike M, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but ready to purchase one of these without in store testing, just curious for any suggestions or opinions, thx

Wallaby likes this.
  2. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Not tried both in a shootout.
    I do own the Flint, it’s a keeper
    for the Trem Rev goodness, it delivers both effects very well

Wallaby, gmann and Mike M like this.
  3. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If I could fit a Flint onto my pedalboard, I'd have one already.

I haven't heard the Tre-Verb, but that wouldn't fit either.

I have a Source Audio True Spring ordered, it will fit and hopefully will suit my needs.

But I'm still pining for a Flint at this point.

Mike M likes this.
  4. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I own & love my Flint. Have never tried any of the new Fender pedals.

Wallaby, gmann and Mike M like this.
  5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

i have the Tre-Verb. Put it back on this week. I go back and forth between the Tre-Verb and my Digitech Polara + TR-2.

I am sure I'd like the Flint too but have not tried one. In my mind both are better than the Source Audio True Spring because they have easier user interfaces. I would like to be biased towards Source Audio because I live like 10 miles from them, they're local which is awesome. But most of their pedals are over the limit for me on complexity and dependence on a computer/smartphone to operate them.

The Tre-Verb & Flint are not quite the same.. they do have slightly different feature sets, so that can be important if you are trying to decide on one without being able to A:B them yourself.

Strymon has expression input, Fender does not
    Strymon has switchable true bypass/buffered bypass, Fender is always buffered (buffer seems very transparent IMO)
    Fender has a dedicated knob for volume on the Tremolo, can be used as a booster with 0 depth/0 rate.
    Strymon's 3rd reverb is a Hall reverb, Fender's 3rd Reverb is a Modulated Plate
    Fender's UI is a bit simpler, no hidden "secondary feature" items. Tap Tempo on the Tremolo on the Tre-Verb is the closest thing to a "hidden" feature.

The Fender is supposedly more drippy/surfy if you want it and slightly more realistic on the Spring reverbs. That is very personal though.

With respect to the UI... you want to adjust the volume on the Tremolo on the Fender you reach down and turn the knob. On the Strymon you need to do a secondary feature dance. I would have to look at the manual.

Same thing with the effect order. On the fender you bend down and flip the dedicated switch, on the Strymon again it's a secondary feature dance and possibly a trip to the manual.

The Fender is less expensive and also likely easier to get a good deal on used. Flint is $300 new and Reverb is showing them starting used at $280 which is a bit ridiculous, I'd never get a used one for $20.

I got my Tre-Verb used for $200. It came basically sealed in the box 100% mint and looked like it had never been opened. You can get a brand new one for $230ish according to Reverb.

6. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Thanks for your detailed post, very helpful

Wallaby likes this.
  7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah if I got my hands on a Flint I'm sure I'd keep flipping back and forth between them every few months.

They're both obviously great from listening to videos.

Sometimes I think the Tre-Verb seems like it has really bright reverb trails.. but right now I don't think so.

My ears are wacked.. I can dial something in and think it's awesome and come back the next day and hate it. Moreso with dirt sounds than reverb or tremolo though.

Wallaby and Mike M like this.
  8. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

love my Flint to death. the harmonic trem is amazing. and I had to figure out how to set make-up gain exactly once, set it for a 3dB boost and have not thought about it since. never played the Fender so I can't compare but the Flint is a pry it out of my cold dead hands kind of thing.

Wallaby, Mike M and Ian T like this.
  9. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Haven't tried the Fender but I love my Flint. I leave mine on Spring and Harmonic Trem. I even use it with my Fender SF amps, just because I like the Trem so much better and don't have to bother with the Fender amp footswitch and cable. Only downside is the price, but if you ever want to flip it, Strymon pedals are easy to sell and hold value.

10. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

Great post! I think the difference here is that the Flint's spring setting is modeled on a two-spring reverb like you'd find in a combo pan and the other two are models of digital reverbs; the Fender's equivalent to the Flint's spring setting is the '65 setting. Fender drops the extra more modern reverb in favor of a three-spring pan setting like a tank (the '63 setting). In short, the Flint is one spring and two digitals, while the Fender is two springs and one digital.

11. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

I have a Flint and find no reason to look anywhere else. I use the spring reverb and two of the Trems.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah you're correct here.. I had it wrong.

The Fender is 2 different Spring Reverbs plus a Plate
    the Flint is 1 Spring + 1 Plate + 1 Hall

Technically these are all digital models. Both pedals "model" a Spring, real springs are analog. Both pedals "model" a plate, real plates are analog.

The "Hall" in the Flint is modeling a hall. Real halls are analog.

I don't know what a real "digital" reverb would be.. something that is not a model of something in the real world. I guess that'd be something glitchy & novel & strange that did not exist in a real world at all.

The 2 different springs in the Fender are quite distinctly different, you can hear the difference.

But I think if I'd been thinking about it clearly I might prefer the Flint having 3 more different variations.

That said I have another Reverb pedal with a Hall reverb and I basically never use it.. Hall is not really my thing.

Everyone is different, Harmonic Trem is the one I least care for. I like it when others play it though.

13. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

You're right. I just was fizzling with the right terms. They're all digital reverbs, but I think the halls aren't really models as much as original modulated reverbs. The plate in the Flint is a model as are the springs in both pedals.

I was just getting at the Fender being more focused on spring varieties than the Flint and that being the main difference in my experience.

14. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for the Flint. It has successfully replaced an EH Holy Grail Nano and a Demeter Tremulator on my board...gained space, an extra slot on my power source and got rid of the annoyingly huge dB boost from the Demeter (despite the sound of the effect being outstanding).

15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The main thing with the Tre-Verb is "models old fender amps".

The Plate reverb is the only thing in there that doesn't come out of one of their amps. They must have just felt compelled to throw it in there.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  16. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm glad you mentioned this, and think I agree even though I don't have the unit yet.

I've read the instructions and plan to use the external switch to activate/deactivate Tremolo. so it will be somewhat "Flint-like" in that regard, and also in using the secondary functions of the dials for Tremolo settings.

But there is a LOT that can be done and configured with that pedal. I am not sure I would like it if I had to perform with it - but I don't, I'm a couch-based kind of player :)

I am intrigued by the user-configurable preset options, though.

Thanks!

Mike M likes this.
  17. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I tried a flint in the store, having heard such great things about it and it just didn't wow me. I'm stupid particular, so take my observation with a grain of salted skepticism.

Haven't tried the Fender, but would like to - just not sure their stuff is worth the price being asked.

I may come into a Keeley Trem-o-verb in the near future, so that would hold me for now.

18. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Ok so Flint arrived, couple of questions:

Its hard to know when you access secondary features, I know you hold down both buttons, but do you do that when they are both on or both off and does it matter? I wish there was a light that told you if they have been reset.

Does anyone use the +/- 3dB boost on either Trem or Reverb, and if so, at what o'clock position do you place the know?

Thx

19. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

The Tre-Verb and Flint are the 2 best sounding verb+trem pedals I've heard (I'm sure there are others), and I've thought about getting one solely to pair with my Hayseed30 which doesn't have reverb or trem.

Whenever these threads pop up, I do like to point out that for any Eventide H9 or Space users, the "Spring" reverb algorithm includes tremolo as well. Like all Eventide algorithms it sounds fantastic. It's not a replacement for a Tre-Verb/Flint as it does not have multiple reverb and trem models, but for anyone who has an Eventide (like me) it covers a lot of the same ground without having to add a dedicated pedal.

beninma and Mike M like this.
  20. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I set the trem for +3dB boost -- and then forgot how to do it. In a gig situation, that feels about right for keeping it in the mix when the trem is on, so I've never really considered turning it off.

Mike M likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.