1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Tonemaster Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by eddiewagner, Dec 30, 2019.

1. omegaspear

omegaspear TDPRI Member

just bought it, love it!

2. Tek1

Tek1 Tele-Meister

Traded in some gear to lower the price. Actually got more off than I paid for the gear. The twin is fantastic. I know the tube purest say they heare a difference. I do as well side by side. Take the badge off. Have someone place them on the stage. In the mix of things you won't know which is which. Playing on my porch with the kick stands. Set at 22 watts volume on 4. Thought I was playing low. when I completed a song My neighbors 100 yards down the street gave me some applause. Normaly they just yell go to bed old man.

Mr Scallywag and PBO Blues like this.
  3. David C

David C TDPRI Member

I bought the Twin simply because $100 for another speaker combined with an attenuator seemed like a "why not?" type of thing. It only weighs a few pounds more. My purchase of the TM came as an upgrade from the Mustang GT series. I have long been a digital amp person and don't have the tube amp experience to compare the sounds of tube Twins to Tone Master twins. The TM sounds excellent to me.

I believe Fender is in a bit of a tight spot on the future of amplifiers, because if they don't have lower priced digital amplifier offerings for entry level and intermediate players, other companies will. $1500 bucks for a new amplifier vs. $1000 is different for a lot of us. I also think that Fender will sell fewer tube based $1100 Twin Reverbs, while they can sell $1000 Tone Master Twin Reverbs to a lot more people based on the Fender name and the heritage of that amplifier. The Twin Reverb tube amp is still available, but it is for a different group of players if they want it as i see it.

4. GEECEE

GEECEE TDPRI Member

Not an owner yet, but was recently at a local music store just before closing when the employees did an A/B with a TR and TM. Same guitar, same amp settings, a guy standing by to quickly plug and unplug from one amp to the other. The player was good and gave both amps a workout playing a riff on one, then playing the same riff on the other. No changes to anything. The 5 employees - mix of youngish rockers and middle age/older guys - all preferred the TM. I thought the DR was slightly warmer - but that could have been easily tweaked via the EQ - what I heard was barely a difference. Both sounded great and I don't think anyone could have told which amp was which just from the sound. My takeaway is Fender nailed it and I'll be joining the club with a TM Twin.

teleaddicted and BigDaddyLH like this.
  5. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

does this mean the end of tube amp production ? Could people accept that? or..as happened in the past, want tubes back again ??

6. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

yes.. but will this mean the end of tube amps ? If Vox & Marshall did the same..would all players be happy to go tubeless?

7. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Well, you posted the same reply to three different threads above but I'll try to answer one of them :D.

Of course not. While I'm very happy with my TMDR and to my ears it's on equal footing with a tube amp, I'm certain tube amps will continue to thrive. First of all, there are people out there who have strong opinions and would never be willing to admit that a modeling solution could possibly sound as good as their beloved tube amp, and/or those who will insist that modeling technology is too expensive, or those who will insist their amp is built in a certain country due to politically motivated reasons, patriotism, etc. Secondly, tube amps by nature have their own personalities and quirks. For example, five Tonemasters lined up side by side are likely to sound very similar to each other. Do the same thing with five identical model/brand tube amps and it's likely there will be more variation (some good, some not so good). But therein lies the appeal for a lot of people. You might call it "mojo", others might call it magic. I get that part of it, and I think it's cool.

It doesn't have to be a one-or-the-other choice. Any amp is just a tool to get a job tone. I love my Tone Master and it's perfect for many of my own applications, but I'm also considering adding a low powered tube tweed of some kind. Just another tool in the toolbox.

ucnick and PBO Blues like this.
  8. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

$1000 for a Tone master twin..? you say Fender is in a tight spot..right now a lot of companies are !.. as far as musical instruments go, they are not leaving people's homes and it's set to remain that way until people can go out again, (looking like Darth Vader) so you have to wonder how many amps of ANY kind they have been selling over the past few weeks...

9. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

I have seen this being reviewed by John Bohlinger ..Its got a good tremolo circuit on there and the attenuater is very good..down to very low volumes. Do you feel the retail price is right ?

10. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

"[...But for playing clean, the tube versions sound like HD in comparison to the SS models....]"

Not with the TM series amps. They've pretty much put to rest any advantages of tubes. They may not sound "better" than a given tube amp. But they do indeed sound like a tube amp. Even more so than some tube amps.

Have you tried one?

Ignatius likes this.
  11. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

Got to use my TMDR in an outdoor gig. I kept wondering if I should have gotten the Twin, but it worked great, Plenty loud!

Ignatius likes this.
  12. TC 57

TC 57 TDPRI Member

13. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I'm in. My TMTR arrived last Sat, rehearsed with it with blues trio on Sunday and loved it, both me and the rest of the band. The 12 watt setting was plenty. Tones are great, I never owned a real TR but have had an SFSR and a SF Bassman in the past and this did not disappoint at all. Weight is amazing too. Jamming with it this coming weekend, can't wait to gig it.

14. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I have a wonderful silverface pro reverb. With a bit of tweaking I can make my Tonemaster twin sound pretty much exactly like it.

ucnick likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.