1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Tonemaster Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by eddiewagner, Dec 30, 2019.

1. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Howdy, just took my tmtr to the rehearsal. Tested it against my stationary pro reverb. All good, no complains, my bandmates love it. Ballsy enough on 12 watts for our Powertrio. Great with Pedals. That thing will be so very useful at gigs.

2. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

I almost went for the TMTR. My Deluxe has plenty of power for my purpose.

3. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Disclaimer: I have not purchased one yet, but plan to soon.

I am a true fan of vintage tube amplifiers and always will be...especially the Twin which has been my main amp for the last 7 years for everything. I have played the Tonemaster Twin 3 times now and find the tone to be very "Twin-like" albeit darker than my vintage model. It is the fact that Fender is building a good sounding Twin with all the right cosmetics and added features (lightweight, line out, attentuator) that make it a winner and an excellent choice for playing out with. Lifting my vintage Twin is an invitation to a trip to the ER, so the Tonemaster is high on my shopping list.

Make no mistake, they do sound different than vintage, it is obvious to my ears everytime, but the added features that you get make it a great option......as long as they prove reliable. That will be the real test going forward, will they hold up to heavy usage? If so, they will be a game changing amplifier for gig usage.

Deathray and rsclosson like this.
  4. eddiewagner

Just home from a small gig. Ry cooderish acoustic guitar with magnetic pup. Wonderful! Just guitar and a cable, little Tremolo and reverb. It worked out great. I carried it to the club with one hand. Life is good.

5. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

I just hook the amp to my belt loop so I don’t have to put down my nachos and beer

ucnick, Ignatius and eddiewagner like this.
  6. eddiewagner

Second gig with my tmtr. Electric Slideguitar with a percussionist. On 22 watts. The local guitarpolice was there and they where impressed by the sound. Did I mention the light weight?

ucnick, willc68 and Alamo like this.
  7. eddiewagner

Gig nr. 3: a club with 150 people. Majestic! On 40!watts. Beautiful equipment. Guess you know what I mean.

ucnick likes this.
  8. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Okay, I’m a lurker here. I don’t own a Tone Master, I’ve seen both models once in a store and I am still kicking myself for trying them back then, because I have not seen another TM since in any store. Sill very curious and if I was to ever try another modeling amp it would be a Tone Master.

Still, two pages of Tone Master thread but no photos? Anyway, I would sure like to see some TM photos. Photo’s or it didn’t happen (the rules).

Deathray likes this.
  9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Another lurker in this thread, 'fessin' up. But I'm glad for this thread, even though I'm not an owner. I like this TM idea; utilizing contemporary technology, but not going overboard with amp models and effects. Just like an analog amp.

What this thread doesn't have yet is videos. Let's change that. Here's one by Shane "In the Blues" Diiorio that I found enjoyable and informative. Live situation (What the heck was going on with that lighting?!?), so it's not the video to show off the amp's tones in a studio environment, but still helpful to hear it live, and I appreciated his comments about its strengths and one weakness.

10. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

Had my first bad experience with my TMDR. Not the amp, but the owner of the venue and self proclaimed sound man. Insisted I go direct out into his PA system. He had the highs up so high on his board that the hiss was ridiculous! He was not one to take any advice when we suggested that he turn down the treble. My archtop sounded like a tin cigarbox guitar. I was afraid that my amp had some kind of failure. When I got home, I played it and it sounded fantastic as usual.

Glad to know that it was not the amp.

gridlock likes this.
  11. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

So I got a used Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster. Probably the ideal small gigging amp, you can literally throw it to the gig thanks to the weight if you wanted to. I was dead set on getting the twin, but at that weight, I just couldn't pass up on a great price for the DR. However, it seems quieter than my old SF DR - and I find it kind of harsh in the highs after 5-6 on the Volume. Is this lack of speaker break in? Any similiar experiences?

12. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on a new TM model showing up at Summer NAMM.

13. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I really liked it down at 22 watts myself in the store. I love my Twin, but it stays at home these days due to weight. Having a lightweight amp that comes very close to the same sound would be great for playing out. I've been using my Fralin VVT combo which is still about 45 lbs. and it does a great job, but a TM Twin really seems like a good idea.

Unless there becomes a bad report card on them by April, I will be going that route.

I am finding them pop up on fleabay already used so that isn't always the best sign for a new amp, but will be paying close attention to the situation.

14. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just ordered a TMDR this afternoon, after playing one yesterday. I’m super excited to own a Fender BF amp! I really liked the attenuated output. I can see a few of my pedals gathering dust, as it sounded really good cranked.
    I will be glad to join this owner’s club, and I’ll post pics!

gridlock likes this.
  15. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger Tele-Meister

16. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

So how's the volume on your TMDR's? I'm thinking if I should have just gotten the Twin for extra loudness for the big gigs if needed... Any live experiences with the Deluxe yet? I'm sure it will be fine for my usual jazz gigs, but for the big country-rock stuff?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I was in a local guitar shop yesterday afternoon. I was looking for something else that they didn't have, so the guy was trying to sell me on the GT100. That one wasn't for me (scrolling through 200 presets is not my idea of simple and straightforward for gigging purposes), but at one point, another sales guy in the store was letting another customer test drive a TM Deluxe Reverb. So I didn't get to test drive it myself while I was there, but I got to hear it, which was great. He wasn't doing a side-by-side A/B comparison of the TM-DR and a DRRI, so I can't say that it sounded just like a DRRI...but it sounded just like a DRRI! :twisted: Really, really nice tone.

18. duoman

duoman TDPRI Member

Another new member, one week in. I opted for the Tonemaster Twin. I've been playing for 55 years and have owned Deluxe Reverb Reissue, a mid-60's Twin, and a Mid-90's Twin Reissue. I always loved that clean Fender sound, but as the years went by, my back didn't care for the weight. So last summer when I first heard of these Tonemasters, I was intrigued and kept an eye on all of the news and forums. My friend bought a Twin a month ago and loves it. I finally did the same a week ago and love mine. I'm not comparing it to any of my earlier Fender amps. This is something new, but yet old. Everytime I look at it, it fools me with its looks and sound, I'm thinking that I still have a tube Twin. But I can pick it up with one finger! This amp can travel and I can have my Fender Twin sound,once again, at my gigs. Wonderful!

Fret Wilkes likes this.
  19. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am seriously thinking about joining this club, love the whole idea behind these amps.
    My only doubt is what TM amp should I get for gigs? I have started playing with a new group, there will be two guitars, singer, bass, keyboard and drums.

Would the Deluxe be enough? Thanks.

20. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

IMG_3589.jpeg

My DR-TM arrived today and I'm mightily impressed. SO much to love about it. Great to see folks actually using them here and not just speculating. Lots of questions, but starting slow...

Has anyone swapped in a new non-neodymium speaker? Yeah, it's adding back some weight (and probably voiding the warranty), but a couple of extra pounds is negligible in the grand scheme of things. It'd still be a light little package. Or is the N12K satisfying everyone? Hard to know as mine only has a few minutes on it.

Is anyone jumpering channels?

I, too, am curious about the firmware update possibilities. Any thoughts? Might Fender, down the road, allow you to toss another model (say a nice old Princeton) into the normal channel?

Any experience-based tips on using the XLR out? First very brief impression is that the balanced line out is more master volume-ish than attenuation-ish.

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.