1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Tonemaster Owners

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by eddiewagner, Dec 30, 2019.

1. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Hi Friends, I am so very stoked about my Tonemaster Twin that I start an Owners Club. The Guys at Fender opened a Window into the Future. Hats off!

gridlock, Deathray, rsclosson and 2 others like this.
  2. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

My TMDR makes me a member. Really loving the amp!

Deathray, NateD81 and eddiewagner like this.
  3. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

So pleasantly surprised and amazed by mine too. And I have owned several very nice amps.

I’m not convinced there are any compromises with these amps as compared to their tube counterparts. I just don’t hear any, or I haven’t heard any yet. If there is any compromise it is a very small one and the added features of the TM's more than make up for it.

A thought occurred to me the other day. People are getting hung up on comparing these to actual DRs and Twins. Some claim to hear a difference and I respect that. But I have owned a couple amps that advertise their "Fender cleans" (a Boogie and a couple Fuchs, to be specific). The cleans on my TMDR are every bit as good as the cleans were on those amps (actually superior to the Boogie's IMO), and neither of those amps necessarily nailed the exact cleans of a vintage Fender.

It is simply a great sounding and feeling amp.

4. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

I purposely avoided comparison. I left the amp stand on its own merits and I am totally impressed.

ucnick, Deathray, stormsedge and 2 others like this.
  5. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I think you did the right thing! Let the amp stand on it's own merits. Plus you won't drive yourself crazy! I own a DRRI, and everything I've heard online, I can't tell a difference. The Tonemaster sounds great to me, and at nearly half the weight, and less $$$, that makes it a winner in my book.

rsclosson, Marc Morfei and NateD81 like this.
  6. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I have a tube Twin Reverb and a Tone Master Twin. I don’t hear that much difference. Probably the main difference in sound between the two amps is from the speakers.

Ignatius, rsclosson and NateD81 like this.
  7. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

I have a tone master Deluxe Reverb that makes me smile every time I play it.

Deathray, rsclosson and NateD81 like this.
  8. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

These amps are going to make a lot of guys happy.
    But for playing clean, the tube versions sound like HD in comparison to the SS models.
    But if you play with any distortion, it is hard to tell a difference. You are clearly the crowd that fender's aiming at.

Milspec likes this.
  9. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I don’t agree that there’s that much difference in the cleans. Mine sits next to a 68 Custom Vibrolux and the cleans are more similar than different when it comes to "tubey-ness".

rsclosson likes this.
  10. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Strongly disagree. The cleans on my Tone Master Twin are just as good as my tube Twin Reverb.

NateD81 and rsclosson like this.
  11. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

Playing mostly jazz, I play clean at least 95 percent of my playing. The tonemaster was the first amp that out performed my cube 60

12. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm really interested to see the evolution of the Tonemaster and I'm pretty convinced that others will soon follow suit as far as modeling amps go.

- Looks like a regular (old) guitar amp
    - No LED displays
    - No menus
    - No presets, or maybe between 2 and 4
    - No MIDI
    - minimal built in effects and footpedal options
    - focus on a specific range of sounds rather than "everything to everyone"

chillybilly and gridlock like this.
  13. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I wonder if there'll be new Tonemaster models at NAMM next* year now that Fender has seen the acceptance and success of these two?

* That'll be 'this' year in 8 hours here in Wales, and is already 'this' depending where you are!:)

14. 392Hemi

392Hemi Tele-Meister

I will soon get a TM. I own at this time tube amps and have spent too much time and money on them in 2019. They still are not quite right. I play mostly jazz and clean. I believe I will get the DR because it is smaller and lighter. I haven't had an opportunity to see or hear the Twin or DR in person. Just you tube and comments on guitar sites. I am sure I would love either one.

NateD81 likes this.
  15. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

I am intrigued by the USB port. The owner's manual says something about future software updates. I wonder what updates they will offer in the future

16. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

I'm a tube & vintage junkie. I wonder if the TM hype is similar to the "reissue" hype when they first started making them in the 80s. Except for some Custom Shop, both Fender & Gibson reissues have always fallen short of their claims that they are exactly like the real thing. They are NOT. But, I will give the TM amps an honest evaluation try as soon as my local Big Boxes get one. My guess is...they may have captured the TONE of tubes somewhat, but they will never capture the feel, touch sensitivity, & dynamics of tubes. I may fail a blindfold test if I'm just listening, but will pass the test if I am playing. But, I will check 'em out & let you know for sure.

Rowdyman likes this.
  17. pirate19

pirate19 TDPRI Member

Got a great deal on a barely used (once) TMDR on Christmas Eve. Absolutely love it!

tce63, Ignatius and rsclosson like this.
  18. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

My TMDR is still really impressing me. As I mentioned above, i've owned a lot of nice amps over the years (Dr Z, Morgan, Fuchs, Boogie, and other Fenders including a two Vibroluxes and a DRRI) and I've been playing for 30+ years, well over a thousand gigs. My criteria for liking an amp is simply whether it sounds and feels great. Side by side comparisons and infinite analysis in a quiet room aren't practical or real-world (for my own purposes and in my own humble opinion, that is). To that end, the TMDR is a great amp. If I walked into a rehearsal space or gig and a Tone Master was sitting there and I plugged into it, there would be no way I'd be able to tell it wasn't a tube amp. Our world is changing. Stage volumes are quieter, a lot of gigs are smaller, and yes, the supply of great sounding and reliable tubes is shrinking. The Tone Masters' feature set and sound make them very practical for a LOT of musicians. Tube amps are cool and of course I remain a big fan of them but I'll only say that if you haven't played a TM, try one and do it with an open mind.

ucnick, rsclosson and Alamo like this.
  19. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Holic

I haven't kept up on the latest news but I recall watching a Youtube channel review a few months ago that said the lack of an update ability might be a non starter. Did the early demo ones not have it/did they update production or is my memory foggy?

20. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

THANK YOU!!! I choke down some irritation when I read a negative “review” from someone who never played one. Yes, this is an open forum and we all have a right to our opinion, but, how valuable is an opinion not based on actual experience?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.