Fender Tonemaster Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by twangjeff, Oct 29, 2019.

1. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Hey everybody, I saw these amps, and I haven't been able to find anyone who has an opinion about them.

Do you think that they are as good as a tube amp, or even better?

Also, trying to determine if anyone can install the same standby and power scaling that the Tonemaster's have into my Peavey Bandit from the 80's. I feel like if I can't scrape up the cash to buy the real deal, I can maybe find somebody to mod my amp so that I can sound better than the other guy in my band.

Thanks in advance!

2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

3. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Just search Tonemaster here on the TDPRI home page. There are a few threads and there are lots of reviews and opinions on whether they are as good as a tube amp or not. But even most of those who say they are not still seem to think they are great sounding amps.

As for power scaling that 80s Bandit, there would be no point. The solid state power amp in those is super clean and using power scaling will sound just like turning down the “Post” gain knob. I have one - it is my main amp and I have had many other tube and solid state amps. What made a big difference in the Bandit to me was changing the stock speaker - world of difference.

4. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

What about adding in a standby switch? ;)

5. mkdaws32

Lol!

6. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

as good as a tubeamp? lmao!

7. Magnuseklof

Magnuseklof TDPRI Member

LOLZ!

8. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

Theres been talk. I will not be playing one soon, but I'll investigate, because I need to have a real answer as to why they exist and have that price tag. Specifically, I started playing SS and got into tube after I owned SS amps and pined after certain SS amps. I woulda been quite young before getting into tube amps.
    In the general broad world, there are a handful of SS amps that I believe are worth looking at; Blues Cubes, Bandits, Katanas. None of these are as expensive as the Tone Masters, so I need to find out why (other than the Fender logo) these cost what they do.
    I'm speaking solely for use with electric guitar, not Steel, not anything else.

It's not as good as tube. This isn't the first (or last) attempt to build a SS amp that "sounds like a tube amp". This is another amp that reminds me;
    They sell body kits to turn a Fierro into a Ferrari.
    It's still a Fierro, but it looks pretty cool.
    Tone Master series isn't going to be a lightweight Twin, etc. Its going to (I hope, and will test) be the top shelf SS amp loaded with everything SS technology and digital effects can do to emulate a tube amp.

I'm sorry, but if you have a Peavey Bandit, you already own one of the only SS amps worth owning. The reverb is great, its everything you can ask for in a clean SS amp. If you just need clean SS, the other amps I mentioned aren't gonna add much.

Better than a tube amp?

A better tube amp.

I can say my Supro and my Fender are better than my Bugera; they do more. It's a 5w amp with an 8" speaker. I can get 2ish good sounds per guitar. Other Bugera tube amps do more.
    Power scaling on the Bandit
    (Which I own, as a tube absolutist, fwiw) is just the pre and post.
    Standby switch? Yea, mine has one. It's on the top, right hand side of the face of the amp, it says "on" and "off". Good thing too, my power light isn't there...

You want to go tube?
    Pull up a chair ;)

9. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

First of all, what do you need a standby switch for in a solid state amp, you just turn it off. The Tonemasters sound very close to their tube counterparts and they're half the weight, which some might find desirable. On the other hand, they're twice the price of other modeling amps that offer a lot more features.

10. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

Lots of opinions from people who obviously haven't played one.

Lef T and Apache Snow like this.
  11. ReverendRevolver

Shhh!! You'll break the dynamic of the internet.....

Fenderslinger and mkdaws32 like this.
  12. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

I've had one for 7 weeks now. It sounds every bit as good as the real thing. It makes me smile every time I play it. Its a keeper.

Lef T likes this.
  13. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

You're kidding....right?

There have been several very active threads on tone master stuff recently. Definitely no shortage of opinions on the subject. :D

twangjeff and Owenmoney like this.
  14. mkdaws32

Played a a Tonemaster Deluxed Reverb for few minutes in store - setup right beside a DRRI and setup to a/b with it. I liked the Tonemaster very much. If Marshall had a “Tonemaster” version of a JCM800 combo, I would be all over that.

Apache Snow likes this.
  15. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Move on people... ;)

coolsheldonsarcasmmeme.jpg

twangjeff likes this.
  16. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

I've been a Tone Master Twin owner for 8 weeks. Noodling around solo or playing with the band this amp nails the sound of a vintage mid-60's tube Twin Reverb. The light weight, attenuator, XLR cab sim out are all huge bonuses. It is by far the best sounding Twin modeler I've ever checked out and I've checked out most of them. The simplicity and familiarity allow me to focus on the music and not be preoccupied with deep edit adjustments and other distractions. Guitar, cable, amp and then making music. That's all I need.

17. ReverendRevolver

I may look at the PR one Friday, if I have time to get to a local shop. I really just want to go look at the FSR juniors they have, but I see no reason not to play with all the toys.
    Marshall may try it eventually. They had some decent hybrids in the past I suppose...

Full disclosure; I want a Tonemaster badge to stick on my Bandit.......

mkdaws32 likes this.
  18. duoman

duoman TDPRI Member

Try one. I've got a Tonemaster Twin and simply love it. Why must there be "is it better than a tube amp?" What it is, is a great alternative for us to take our "Twin" sound out to gigs without struggling with the weight. No one watching and listening at a gig will be able to tell a difference, but you will, from not having a backache. You can leave your tube amp at home. I do.

PBO Blues, GuitLoop and Southpaw Tele like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.