1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Tone Master Twin switching question

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Guitarist4u36, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Guitarist4u36

Guitarist4u36 TDPRI Member

Hey everyone! Question for all of you. Has anyone tried to figure out a way to control the Tone Master Twin's vibrato or reverb on/off functions via amp switching functions like on a Line 6 Helix or HX Effects or something of that nature? It would be nice to be able to control it within a preset rather than putting another footswitch on my board. It just uses a 1/4" cable, but when I tried to program any switching all it did was turn BOTH the reverb and vibrato on or off at the same time with no way of selecting one or the other. Am I missing something or is it not possible? Thanks in advance! :)

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  2. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Helix footswitching capability is rudimentary at best. If the Tone Masters deviated from the old school footswitch systems (eg: vintage fenders, '65 re-issues, '68 series) then I don't believe you will get it to work.

3. Guitarist4u36

Guitarist4u36 TDPRI Member

Well, I did some research and I found out that, if I'm understanding correctly, in my HX Effects (which is what I have) I can select the channel switching for T, R, or T & R. The Tone Master switch just uses a TS cable. So that means one function uses the tip and the other uses the sleeve. Correct? If so, I would think that I can use the tip setting or sleeve setting (depending on which controls what) in my HX Effects, which is actually what I have, and it "should" work with just a TS cable. I haven't tried that yet. I just figured out that it was possible in the HXFX. So that's on my list of things to do today. I'm not so concerned about the reverb side because it's always on in my setup. But it would be nice to use the vibrato. Of course I can use the vibrato in the HXFX but the one in the twin sounds great. Thanks for your help! I'll play around with it again today. I'm not going to pretend I know much about electronics, lol

4. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

If the tonemaster only uses TS then they are doing some magic in the footswitch itself to operate two switches, just like they do in their Hot Rod series. The Footswitch will have a combination of diodes and resisters, and the values dictate what the relay in the amp does. That allows a single TS cable to run multiple switching capabilities.

Sorry, but the Line 6 HX devices do not do those. They are simple "short to ground", the way the old '65 Fender series works. On the vintage amps two footswitches used two RCA connectors on the amp. On the '65 re-issues two footswitches used a TRS connector on the amp which is the same principle with a different connector.

With this old school (short to ground) switching style, a normal TS cable can only switch "one item" (or multiple items, all on/off at the same time). A TRS can do two, a MIDI DIN can do 4, etc...

WARNING: If there are LED's on the footswitch and no battery inside, then the switching system also sends low voltage down the TS line to the switch. BE CAREFUL connecting that to any HX (Helix) device!

5. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

I own the Tone Master Twin, and I can verify that it does indeed use a simple, mono, TS (Tip, Sleeve) cable to manage both the Tremolo and Reverb foot switch functions. There are two LEDs on the foot switch itself. The Reverb and Tremolo both operate without the foot switch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.