1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverv VS Vox Pathfinder 15R

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Twang Deluxe, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Hello everyone,

I own a TMDR and a Pathfinder 15R and when I'm playing them at low volumes in my bedroom IMHO the Vox sounds nicer than the Fender (even though I use the 0.2 watt setting).

I'm asking my self if the speaker of the TM just needs to break in (I own it since three month) or if the Vox will always sound nicer at low volumes because it's more of a bedroom amp.

What do you think?

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I think you are wrong calling a Pathfinder 15R - 'more of a bedroom amp'- it's really a hell of an amp, including as a gigging amp for the right gigs

Just examples :

I am the only electric guitar in my bands and for 6 years, I've used my PF15R ( with an always ON OD pedal , which adds amp volume, plus clean>dirty dynamics, just using my guitar Volume) as a great-sounding R&R, and blues amp ( Boost OFF)

With no pedal, Boost OFF, Gain at 11:00 clock, Volume at 2:00 ( Reverb cranked, always)
    I used it in a Classic Country trio- me on Tele, singer on acoustic guitar, and upright bass
    - also used it in the same manner onstage for 40 dates, playing in a Country/Rockabilly Pasty Cline Show band

* Just saying it has great utility, and no need to think it is inferior to another amp- in certain situations

Tim S, elihu and Stubee like this.
  3. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I know that the Pf15R is not just a bedroom amp. Many people gig with it and it sounds great.

All that I wanted to say is that perhaps the Vox is suited better for playing at home than the Tone Master

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Yes, sorry! You may be right.

I guess years after buying, I'm still impressed with the Vox as I did buy it for home/practice, not really thinking about gigs...
    Then I tried it for kicks once, just out of curiosity, and that was that!

I use a Micro Cube now ( recently bought) for electric play at home ( now in an apartment). Happy now, as I mainly play acoustic at home.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  5. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Try playing it at a higher watt setting. And yes, speaker break in is important.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  6. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

The Vox sounds better because it is the best solid state amp ever created. I’d sell the Fender and get a second PF15R, they are getting hard to come by.

Capgun

Twang Deluxe and Chiogtr4x like this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

I look every day ( 3-4 X!) on local Wash. D.C. area CL for a 2nd Pathfinder- don't think it's gonna happen.

( but I did get some other cool small amps for gigs)

8. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

There is one on the Dallas CL now for $250
    Do I really need a second one? Hmm.

9. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

My own experience with the TMDR is that on the low power settings (less than 5 watt), the sound thins out and is not as full to my ears. YMMV

hdvades likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.