Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

NatillasdeMuertos

TDPRI Member
What issues are people having? I would think TDPRI would be full of posts if there even a few issues. I am not talking about general complaints, I am talking about failures and malfunctions. I am just trying to learn more about them and am looking for specifics.
I’d also be curious to see any evidence on this. I’ve had mine a year with no issues. I’ve seen the odd post where someone has took one apart and the conclusion was parts are difficult to repair but cost effective to just replace. No strong reason to suspect they’d fail too easily for club gigs etc, they might not love lots of outdoor use though.

Happy to be pointed in the direction of some experiences contrary or supporting. Otherwise in worst case economically speaking it has to last long enough before junking to have outlived the cost of tubes and servicing. Environmentally that’s less than ideal but parts can be recycled I guess. I’m sure that’ll stick for some as a point who do like their soldering irons, but as someone who earns their living in IT it doesn’t seem out of line to me.

At end of the day this isn’t a massively new and unknown product as such…it’s a computer and a speaker system. Neither of those things scare me.

PhredE

Friend of Leo's
Edit: I wrote a long bit about the subject and then decided to redact it -- so, I'll just summarize that comment in posing a simple question:

Can any of the TM owners confirm if there is active cooling used on the main power chip?
In earlier posts on the TM series, someone posted a pic of the chassis of either the TMTR or TMDR -- can't recall offhand.

I ask, because I have --and know of several others-- Class D guitar/bass amps that DO implement active cooling [cooling fans] to main chip temp. Given the choice between active or passive cooling, which might survive better in the long term? We don't have an answer yet re: TM series amps, but the warranty period is expiring for many of the earliest buyers.. soon, is when we will begin to start having an idea of how that shakes out.

eddiewagner

Poster Extraordinaire
I play a tmtr all the time. This weekend 2 hours on 22 watts in a club. It sounds authoritative and fills a room easily. No problems, no crackling. And after the show: lightweight. my tubeamps ( old Princeton and old pro and new ac15) stay home and in the rehearsal place.
32D431CF-3BA3-411A-88B3-67E0A0D78126.jpeg

Blrfl

Friend of Leo's
This is my primary concern. And the warranty is only two years....not Fender's usual five years. :(

It hasn't been five years for almost five years. Not even for the all-holy, hand-wired products. The only Fender product line with a five-year warranty is their Fortis powered speakers.

Can any of the TM owners confirm if there is active cooling used on the main power chip? ... Given the choice between active or passive cooling, which might survive better in the long term?

The power amp in all three TM models is the same ICEpower AS200, which is rated for 200W continuous output power and designed to be passively cooled in most applications. Additionally, the unit is senses destructive conditions and will take steps to avoid damaging electrical or thermal overload. (This is covered in the data sheet; see sections 10.4.3 and 10.4.4.)

Given that Fender is running these modules at a fraction of their rated power, they've basically overbuilt it. Active cooling is unlikely to be necessary and the lack of stress should give them very long lives.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
The power amp in all three TM models is the same ICEpower AS200, which is rated for 200W continuous output power and designed to be passively cooled in most applications. Additionally, the unit is senses destructive conditions and will take steps to avoid damaging electrical or thermal overload. (This is covered in the data sheet; see sections 10.4.3 and 10.4.4.)

Given that Fender is running these modules at a fraction of their rated power, they've basically overbuilt it. Active cooling is unlikely to be necessary and the lack of stress should give them very long lives.
Please don't confuse people with facts and information. I thought this forum was for unsubstantiated opinions only. ;)

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
W
I just think it is fitting to post my review of this amp after using it for a few shows
(along with my Telecaster guitar) I'm just a picker, not affiliated with Fender

I'll make this brief:

Been stage performing for nearly 50 years
This is the best sounding amp I have ever used (23 lbs)
The only one that even came close was the Mesa Lone Star 2x12 (79 lbs)
I run wireless and walked WAY back in the venues and it was still present and dripping with tone

My stage settings were (Vibrato Channel input 1)
(V) 6
(T) 6
(B) 9
(R) 3-ish

She took ALL my pedals with ease and clarity (Tube Screamer, Delay, Chorus, etc)
She was able t reach clean volumes far better than my tube DRRI

Played everything from Haggard to Zeppelin, Beatles to Petty and she did it with ease.

I am VERY pleased with this amp. I have used Mesas, Peaveys, Fenders, Rolands and
most of the rest but THIS amp beat them all.

There you go. That's my opinion of this amplifier. Try one. You won't believe your ears.
John - Ohio

Wow, you have the Bass almost dimed to 9? Do I have that right?

Usually people roll off the bass on Fender amps.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve said all along, I want to know how reliable these amps are long-term; the Cyber Twin and Cyber Deluxe (both of which sounded really lousy, in my opinion) could not stand up to medium-level gigging (as evidenced by a couple of friends who invested in them, in order to “get the original tones” for their cover band…within three years, they were trashed).

Otherwise, I’d be very interested.

PhredE

Friend of Leo's
It hasn't been five years for almost five years. Not even for the all-holy, hand-wired products. The only Fender product line with a five-year warranty is their Fortis powered speakers.

I have an amp that uses the same ICE power amp module. It has a dedicated cooling fan.
Also, the other Fender SS amp (older 90s era Princeton 112) I had burned up (cooling sink, no fan).

..Just sayin'

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Just going to point out that the price isn't so similar anymore. A DRRI is now $1500 new. Cripes.
Of course you're correct about NEW prices....I usually think in terms of gently USED gear.
BTW, when a buddy bought one of the earliest of the reissues, (mid-nineties, maybe?) it was the blond Tolex with oxblood grill. It carried a "premium" price around $650-700. ;)

scelestus

Tele-Afflicted
Of course you're correct about NEW prices....I usually think in terms of gently USED gear.
BTW, when a buddy bought one of the earliest of the reissues, (mid-nineties, maybe?) it was the blond Tolex with oxblood grill. It carried a "premium" price around $650-700. ;)

The last DRRI and TMDR I saw used sold for $800 and $695, respectively. No analysis from me, just sharing an observation.

Bob Arbogast

Tele-Afflicted
I joined the Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb party last week. I got the standard version. After listening for a while, I updated the firmware and replaced the Jensen with a Neo Creamback I had on hand. I played the amp at gigs on Friday and Saturday nights. I was duly impressed. It sounds like a Deluxe Reverb, but louder, I think.

Tele-->Fat Boost 2-->amp

The FB-2 was boosting just a little bit, with a hint of drive.
The amp was VTB all at 4, Reverb and Tremolo to taste.
On Friday, I mainly used the 12W setting; on Saturday, the 5W setting.

Color me impressed.

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
Let me break this down to you…
The amp section is not the whole amp guys…

Clearly you one , do not work on amps. Nor even know what you are even looking at, nor how fender implemented this module…
Guys I am way ahead of you.

And two while you look down on me,
You better get a few facts to back up the snarky attitude!

the headers used to join other pcb’s in the amp are crap. Yes many other pcbs exist in the amp ! The problem is how this was engineered, and the parts used.

the ribbon cables and headers for the ribbon cable are such crap, fender uses glue. Yes glue to keep them together, same with cables.

Believe me, I know exactly who is confused by facts…you guys are looking at a part fender does not even build…and that is ignorant.
Especially talking down to me.

that new tone master will be in the landfill in 5 years…tops.

I have been in music electronics for about 30 years now, and an engineer. I have built gear that runs every day, in studios. And have had zero failures…not one.

but ya, tell me some more facts?
But best stop with the snarky attitude, with things you clearly do not understand.

good day.

Blrfl

Friend of Leo's
And two while you look down on me,
You better get a few facts to back up the snarky attitude! ... Especially talking down to me

If you're addressing me with that, I'll be happy to have a civilized debate about the merits of how these amps are built. I'll even be happy to be wrong and stand corrected if I am.

Here's the one part of this post where I'm talking down to you, and I'm going to try do this respectfully enough to avoid drawing the mods' ire:

What I won't ignore is you reading tone and attitude into my comments that isn't there, especially one that was clearly posted in jest, and then going on to do the very thing you're accusing the rest of us of doing. If you see others' disagreement with you as a personal attack, that's your problem, not anyone else's. To put a finer point on it in fewer words, you're behaving like a jerk.

Yes many other pcbs exist in the amp !

Of course, but PhredE specifically asked about the PA and how it's cooled. That's an understandable concern because PAs have historically been where amplifiers that have been pushed hard for long periods have problems. The only other thing anywhere else in the TM chassis that makes any decent amount of heat is the processor, and that doesn't run any hotter wide open than it does at bedroom volumes.

The problem is how this was engineered, and the parts used.

the ribbon cables and headers for the ribbon cable are such crap, fender uses glue. Yes glue to keep them together, same with cables.

So far all you've done is say "crap, crap, crap" without providing anything to back it up.

Enlighten us by citing something in the trade press about flat, flexible cables and the mating connectors being unreliable. Surely, if these parts had widespread problems someone would have written about it by now.

Enlighten us about why you're so obsessed with the cables being glued down to the chassis without using the word "crap" and by outlining actual problems that have been experienced in mass-produced products. There is a reason those cables are glued down instead of being allowed to flap freely.

Believe me, I know exactly who is confused by facts…you guys are looking at a part fender does not even build…and that is ignorant.

So let me get this straight: The products you claim to build contain only parts that you manufacture in-house from raw materials? Show me.

that new tone master will be in the landfill in 5 years…tops.

How'd you like to put your money where your mouth is and engage in a public wager about that?

Last edited: