Fender Tone Master Deluxe or 68 Custom Princeton?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TwangerWannabe, Oct 6, 2019.

Which of these two amps would you prefer?

1. Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

59 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Fender 68 Custom Princeton Reverb

64 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. sleeperNY

sleeperNY TDPRI Member

I have the Tone Master Twin for all the same reasons.

Jim

2. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I find it ironic that people are trashing the Tone Masters because "they won't be reliable and you won't be able to get parts" (yawn), and then they recommend a 65 or 68 Princeton - both of which have been sufficiently trashed on this forum for having thin PCB construction, hard to repair, and won't hold their value.

I've owned a DRRI. I've also owned four Dr. Zs, two Morgans, two Fuchs, a 68 Custom Vibrolux....and the list goes on. I currently own and use a Tone Master DR. It hangs in there with any of these amps and it sounds fantastic. It's dead quiet and I love the DI out/IRs.

For me an amp is a tool to get a job done. I don't buy music gear as an investment, nor do I obsess about its repairability or longevity any more than I do my cell phone, TV, power tools, what have you. I buy amps to make music and sound good.

Ironically, the only two times I've had an amp failure at a gig - and I probably have close to 2000 gigs under my belt over several years - was a "boutique" tube amp. One was a rectifier tube, the other time was a power tube. So you can put that in your reliability pipe and smoke it :D.

It all comes down to what sounds good to you and what works for you, and we all have our own opinions and list of what's important.

3. Wayward Wiggler

Wayward Wiggler NEW MEMBER!

As a newer player I am very intrigued by the TM. In theory it seems to be the better option to grow with. Having to drop 1300 CAD on a princeton, and then perhaps more on an attenuator to dial it down for home use (I'm not exactly gig ready yet) makes the $1000 pricetag on the tonemaster all the more appealing. I have a Vox ac10 and even that is a bit overkill for me. I've been down the tube road with my hifi setup and understand the whole tube snob thing, trust me. I have a sizeable collection of expensive NOS tubes and while I cant speak as much to the guitar amp side of things I can say I have had my fair share of tube issues. It seems guitar amps would be more susceptible to tube issues than the phono stage and amp that sit on my isolated stero shelf and not in the same compartment as a pounding speaker. I've made the move to solid state in my hifi amp stage and couldn't be happier. They've come a long ways in the last 10 years with solid state equipment and you are seeing more people in that market switch over. I'm sure the same thing applies to the guitar world. There's more than a good chance I have no idea what I'm talking about though

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.