Fender Tone Master Deluxe or 68 Custom Princeton?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TwangerWannabe, Oct 6, 2019.

Which of these two amps would you prefer?

1. Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

59 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Fender 68 Custom Princeton Reverb

64 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

We'll see, when the ToneMaster II's come out.

beyer160 likes this.
  2. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

3. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

I have a fairly new Sportster motorcycle. I purchased a tuner/ programmer to tune the ECM. Its a flash tuner. I can change any thing in the bikes computer in about 5 minutes, them flash the new settings to the bikes computer and I get FREE updates to the programmer from the manufacturer. WOW.

4. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Andertons doing a comparison

5. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

I've had a tone master deluxe reverb for a little over a month. The more I use it the more I like it. I don't care what the Nay Sayers say. I didn't buy it for them. I bought it for me and it makes me smile. Made me smile for an hour today. I've been playing sense the early 60s and I do know what I like. Have a good one.

NewKid, Lef T, stevemc and 4 others like this.
  6. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Same here. I've had the Twin for just over a month. I did an A/B test with it and an an RI for a solid 2 hours at the GC when it first came in (I helped unpack it). I took one of my own guitars so that the amps would be the only variable. the testing showed me no more difference between the amps than would be present between any two amps of the same model. I bought it on the spot.

I have played out with it twice now with two different groups, and on neither outing did the other players know it wasn't a tube amp until I told them. The Tone Masters are definitely worth while.

7. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

OK, I watched the complete video and I identified both sets of AMPS correctly. That's all I can say!

8. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

Good guess, because I cant.:)

9. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

Honi soit qui mail y pense.!

10. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

May he be shamed who thinks badly ...Uh OK.:)

Kontaktmoi likes this.
  11. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Of course he has never played one himself or compared one to an RI himself, so he is obviously all knowing.

Apache Snow likes this.
  12. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

I have a 1963 Twin reverb, a current Deluxe Reverb and 2 x Princeton RI '65 amps. I no longer play in a band so there is no lugging amps in my future ( I don't think so). I play the Deluxe when playing at the house just because it has two channels and I can put my TASCAM CD backing track machine on one of the channels and my guitar on the Vib/Reverb channel. It's like a complete band... just ask the neighbors. I will keep the RI's because they sounds awesome, I will keep the Deluxe because it meets my requirements and sounds delicious. I am done buying amps. I think.
    So I did play the Tonemaster Twin and the Deluxe but spent more time with the Deluxe. They are different and there is nothing wrong with that, they both sound like an awesome Fender amp. You can not go wrong.

I choose the Tube Deluxe because the sounds is less compressed, it seems to have a quicker, straight-in-the-face response with the good old Reverb and Vibrato that I know and love and that is what I like.

Case closed..... at least for now. LOL.

13. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

The debate about these things will no doubt go on for years. A bunch of very experienced players who have lots of experience with vintage Twins and Deluxes have been unable to tell the difference and found them perfectly satisfying. I think it is safe to say based on demos, videos and reported experiences the majority of those that try them and have commented have found the amps indistinguishable from the real deal both in person and in band situations. Some have not found them as convincing. Nothing too surprising about that. If there were universal or overwhelming agreement that Fender failed that would be obvious. Based on testimonials and the large volume of initial sales I think they have convinced an awful lot of good ears that these amps sound like the ones that inspired them. If you do perceive a difference then no amount of debate or testimonials will convince you otherwise. So, time to play.

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Agreed.

Also,there is a set of guitar players who insist the BF tube reissues sound nothing like the vintage ones.

Rev Hoodoo likes this.
  15. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I just bought a 39 year old Deluxe. As long as you swap the caps every decade or two and power tubes when needed, it’ll run until the end of time.

I’d be curious to see if anyone is still playing a V1 Tonemaster in a decade. That’s not a big deal to everyone, but it is to me.

Also, tube amps are EMP resistant and the Tonemasters aren’t. Dunno how relevant that would actually be, but still.

jgmouton, Kontaktmoi and jimash like this.
  16. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

I’ve never had a problem with a digital or ss Fender amp.

I have a 24 year old ss Fender amp and a 6 year old digital amp right here and I’m confident both of those will still be working in 10 years. Gigged hard as well.

I’m not worried about the reliability of the Tone Master at all. Not one bit.

NateD81, Lef T and MilwMark like this.
  17. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

I have a real 1963 Fender Twin Reverb that has done road duty for more than 30 years, has been schlepped from studio to studio, performed on hundreds of records ( studio work) and 1,000's of gigs throughout the world. It belonged to a dear friend of mine who did the recording, schlepping and gigging with this amp. The amp most likely plays and sounds better then when it was new, although it was Leon Fender who personally picked that amp from the production line and handed this amp over in an endorsement deal. That amp still smokes everything else.
    So I concur with Beyer160, there is not substitute for bottles (tubes) and a well maintained old Fender amp.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    pugnax likes this.
  18. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Fortunately I don't need an amp. I like the CPR, if it isn't powerful enough, I have the Mesa subway Blues, and if that isn;t cutting it, both together sounds good. I still have a big amp but I'm planning on selling it.
    So I find it easy to play devil's advocate.
    After all, the title of the thread is TMDR v CPR and I have already voted with my cash.Why shouldn't I defend my obvious preference ?
    I have doubts about programmed chip models having limits of what they will and won't do and whether certain things that I do translate. I've tested this with Line 6 and everything worked but the idea sticks. There just is this level of chance and chaos and potential magic with a tube amp that I think might be missing with a model. ( this also applies to modeled Fuzz)
    And I do think there is an issue with say, lightning, and chips, that has probably cost me quite a bit in fried Mac chips.
    I am also highly skeptical of the 100watt 22 watt amp. I do get the concept. Maybe it's correct.
    But when I used to plug into a Sunn Concert 100 watt SS amp, there didn't seem to be any doubt that it was 100 watts. I had such confidence in it I let the lead singer play through my Twin, and her own Twin. I am going to have to stop thinking about stuff.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  19. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

You should not form an opinion on the basis of YT videos, you should try the TM line side by side with the real thing.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  20. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

One thing I looked up is adjusting the Tone Master Twin for inflation. It sells for the equivalent of $125 in 1965 dollars. And it costs less than a top end iPhone. As far as longevity, that takes powers and skills beyond the means of mere mortals. I will say most of the quality solid state and digital stuff I've seen lasts a very long time. And all this speculation about "ending up in a landfill", I've never seen tons of old solid state or modeling amps in the trash. There are still a lot first generation Line 6 Flextones out there thumping away. And, yes, I know about the encoder on the Princeton Recording Amp, the single example that always seems to make its way into these discussions. Heck, if you want them you can still find working Fender Zodiac series solid state amps. And there are lots and lots of first generation IBM PC's out there to be had if you want one, so there's your "computer" example.

But none of that matters when it comes to personal choices for tone tools. You like the idea of tubes there's nothing wrong with that, I do as well. Heck, I'm not ready to sell off my tube tester and stock of NOS tubes. But for gigs, especially larger outdoor events, I'm going to enjoy the Tone Master Twin as I can plug in, play and sound pretty much exactly what I sound like when I'm plugged in any of tube amps I own or have owned. And personal preference and how am amp fits your style is everything. I've never played a Mesa I liked and I've tried lots of them. There are lots of other examples of tubes amps that I find mediocre sounding. Likewise the vast majority of digital modeling amps I've tried I've not cared for. And my opinion is worth about 2 cents for somebody that the Fender Tone Master doesn't work for. Find your favorite tools and make music.

Used to go hear a band called the Rockolas from Baton Rouge when I lived in New Orleans. They had great organic tone and sounded fantastic. The backline was all low end Peavey solid state stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.