Fender Tone Master Deluxe or 68 Custom Princeton?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TwangerWannabe, Oct 6, 2019.

Which of these two amps would you prefer?

1. Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

50 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. Fender 68 Custom Princeton Reverb

58 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think if it this way: if the tone and feel is there - and in my opinion, it is with the Tonemaster DR - I would pay MORE not to have tubes.

Why not? Lighter, more features, no need to bring extra set of power tubes, etc.

codamedia, NewKid and Lef T like this.
  2. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

The word "if" is doing *a lot* of work in that sentence.

That's a big "if." Very big.

Tell ya what: You spend your money on what you want, and I'll do likewise.

jgmouton likes this.
  3. sleeperNY

sleeperNY TDPRI Member

I bought the Town Master Twin and I am glad I did. I needed the lower weight and the icing on the cake is it nails the Twin tone. Even some other players I asked how it sounded thought it was a real tube Twin.

Jim

Vespa_One likes this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Why is it a big ”if”?

5. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

Yes, that seems like a needless zing. Given the sales numbers on these amps the "if" appears to be insignificant.

6. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

I just sold my 68 Custom Princeton Reverb and bought a TMDR, so I’ll see if I love to regret but hopefully not. The Princeton was great but what sold me is not needing tubes, sounds great, and I can attenuate which is great for my condo /wife situation. Checked a lot of boxes theoretically. Once it arrives Tuesday and I’ve played it a bit I’ll post and compare it to my (memory of) my previous ‘65 DRRI.

TwangerWannabe likes this.
  7. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

I have a 1963 Twin reverb, a current Deluxe Reverb and 2 x Princeton RI '65 amps. I no longer play in a band so there is no lugging amps in my future ( I don't think so). I play the Deluxe when playing at the house just because it has two channels and I can put my TASCAM CD backing track machine on one of the channels and my guitar on the Vib/Reverb channel. It's like a complete band... just ask the neighbors. I will keep the RI's because they sounds awesome, I will keep the Deluxe because it meets my requirements and sounds delicious. I am done buying amps. I think.
    So I did play the Tonemaster Twin and the Deluxe but spent more time with the Deluxe. They are different and there is nothing wrong with that, they both sound like an awesome Fender amp. You can not go wrong. I choose the Tube Deluxe because the sounds is less compressed, it seems to have a quicker, straight-in-the-face response with the good old Reverb and Vibrato that I know and love and that is what I like. Case closed..... at least for now. LOL.

8. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I may finally give up soon and buy one, even if I do not really need it right now...

9. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

The Joyo American is a cool pedal,you can go from 57 deluxe to deluxe reverb to bassman and twin reverb.
    All this tube versus solid state is a bit crazy , once you plug in almost any pedal you’ve gone solid state, but into a tube amp usually makes a difference over going into most solid state amps. But it’s still going digital.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NewKid likes this.
  10. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

I’ve pretty much decided I’m going with the Tone Master Deluxe. Ticks more boxes for me than the Princeton since the Deluxe has the Attenuator and XLR out for silent recording. The lighter weight doesn’t hurt and no more need to fiddle with tubes, wondering will these preamp tubes sound better, etc. it’s just the compete package and I’m more into having one good amp sound and prefer my pedals over onboard effects which is why I haven’t gone with something like the Boss Katana or Blackstar Silverline.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    ataylor, Ironwolf, EsquireBoy and 3 others like this.
  11. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

You sound exactly like me. I liked how my 68 CPR sounded but only had it because the 65 DRRI I had was too loud, so I sold my Princeton and have my TMDR showing up tomorrow. I could t even get true Princeton loud enough to break up so even it was a bit too loud for the family.The attenuator, silent recording, and not having to deal with tubes is an advantage for me. I fully realize it may not be for everyone but it will potentially work for me.

Ironwolf and TwangerWannabe like this.
  12. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Not weird at all. A SS amp just behaves different. Just look at the old Peavey transistor amps that have 200 Watt.... it does not mean that they are several times LOUDER than a say 30 Watt Tube amp. They are not. They are just cleaner longer but when they distort it's a very unpleasant set of harmonics, raw, raspy and down right ugly sounding. They got away with it for some smaller guitar amps but when, for instance , the fidelity of a guitar is / was needed, such as a clean amp to play jazz or better still for a steel guitar, you needed / wanted 200 Watt to compete with a Fender 85 Watt Twin reverb running on 5 on the volume, with a large fan blowing up to the tubes to prevent them from cooking, so it does not drove the amp into distortion which is unacceptable for those instruments.
    Look at other full-size SS amps. They all have 150-200 watts. but they are NOT 12 db louder (an additional 3 db doubles the actual volume).
    Hence the mention of Fender when announcing the new Fender Tone Master Twin that they expect a lot of jazz and steel guitar players to come back to Fender and get on this TM band wagon... and... they might just do that if the speakers will hold up to the onslaught!

We, steel guitar players have been able to blow up most speakers because we ran the amps at near full power all night long.. until the Black Widow speaker from Peavey came around that is. Yes, 12 inch and 15 inch JBL's and anything else that we could find, we would regularly dispose off. LOL.

13. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

I do not understand that idea of "dealing with tubes". I've played tube amps for decades and never had problems with tubes. I know it can happen but tubes are very reliable, not less than solid state technology IME.

14. TwangerWannabe

You don't have to "understand". There are plenty of amps of all iterations out there for all of us. You play through the amps you like, I'll play through the amps I like. No need to give yourself a headache trying to understand.

Kontaktmoi likes this.
  15. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, that's been my experience as well. In 40 years of playing tube amps, I had one tube failure in a Music Man amp.

It's just not been an issue for me.

jgmouton and Kontaktmoi like this.
  16. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

Since my comment about dealing with tubes is hard to understand I’ll clarify. I concede that it was a bit vague.

My experience with tubes on a DRRI was some vibrating power tubes which I solved with o-ring dampers. I bought a used Vibrolux 68 Custom with a few of the stock tubes going microphonic, had to replace; not a big deal but it cost me money. Then had a 68 CPR with rattling power tubes as well.

Obviously, these aren’t serious issues and are certainly fixable, but if the TMDR sounds and feels like a DR, not having to ‘deal’ with the issues noted above is worth it to me. I’m a middle school teacher with limited time and money, I just want to play in the spare time and have the sound coming out of the amp sound inspiring.

Not looking to argue about tubes vs. SS, I’ll leave that to more passionate folks.

TwangerWannabe and MilwMark like this.
  17. TwangerWannabe

Well said.

18. TwangerWannabe

Heres a current thread where some mention the hassles they've had with tubes: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/i-guess-they-just-dont-make-em-like-they-used-to.982341/

Again, not trying turn this into a tube vs digital debate thread. If you are happy with tubes and they've given you a trouble free existence, great. Nobody is discounting that. Both types of amps exist and if you prefer one over the other, also repeat someone who doesn't share the same experience or view. Also, nobody is saying that these new digital amps are tried and true. For all we know there may be issues and gremlins that develop over time with these new amps, or they may prove themselves to be solid and roadworthy.

19. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

This video is very convincing. Actually I like that guy - I watch his guitar lesson videos and they're pretty good.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  20. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, that's a bummer and a pain in the neck.

I've had issues with ss as well, my ss DV Mark Frank Gambale amp went belly up and had to be repaired. I've also had mysterious intermittent static noise issues with a Fender Mustang.

I guess my only point is that any amp can need a repair, ss as well as tube. Not sure one is more reliable than the other.

jgmouton likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.