Fender Tone Master Deluxe or 68 Custom Princeton?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TwangerWannabe, Oct 6, 2019.

Which of these two amps would you prefer?

1. Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

34 vote(s)
    45.3%
  2. Fender 68 Custom Princeton Reverb

41 vote(s)
    54.7%
  1. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

But it isn't a different circuit. It's the exact same board with some tiny tweaks that make it betterer.

2. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

From Fender, "modified tone circuitry". From Webster, "modify - to make basic or fundamental changes in often to give a new orientation to or to serve a new end". Once it is modified it is not the same. But I get your position, you don't view it as modified if component values are changed. Also, reduced negative feedback is considered a different circuit for some folks. Since they have two different schematics I think they're two similar but different amps, not two versions of the same amp.

3. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I had a Twin Reverb. I had it modified. Same basic mods. Was it no longer a twin Reverb ?
    The '68 Custom is made with precisely the same circuit card as the 65, just a couple of different resistors.
    I'm on the verge of calling you a Moron and never coming here again. so stop pulling my pud.

4. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

It is still a twin reverb, but it is not the same circuit. C'mon man, you think you might be overreacting a little?

LuthRavin likes this.
  5. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

No. I don't think I am over reacting at all. I am stating factual information that clarifies someone's impressions, which were wrong. I have corrected him. Not my fault he wants to argue the point or that you mildly agree with him. I consider your opinion about the circuits slightly ridiculous. It's the same card.

Also I have now
    looked at the ToneMasters, and I don't like how they portray both as 100 watts..
    No way the Deluxe is worth the money. That class D stuff is as cheap as candy corn, and should be priced accordingly.

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  6. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

More "factual information"?

LiteAsh likes this.
  7. Mexitele Blues

Cool man, I think you're a little silly too.

To state some factual information of my own, The TM Deluxe is a '22 watt' amp with a 100 watt class D power amp. The TM Twin is a '100 watt' amp with a 200 watt class D power amp.

jimash likes this.
  8. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

And I'm sure it's very nice. As I said I like the old XD models, and concentrating on one and making it good is a nice approach. But Class D is cheap, and that $899 amp should be $599.

I think the CPR is a bit overpriced too, and I SHOPPED to get one NIB with the staples still in the box for $699 and $25 shipping.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I voted '68 PRRI because it's #1 on my GAS list at the moment.

10. Mexitele Blues

I seem to be in the minority on TDPRI, but despite playing several different Deluxe amps over the years, I have never bonded with one.

There is definitely a Princeton sized hole in my amp collection however.

teletimetx and jimash like this.
  11. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Again because I HAD an actual1968 Twin that I had modded in the 1970's very much like the '68s, I got a stiffy as soon as I saw silverfaces.
    A friend whose band I sat in with let me try his '65 and i liked it, but I still wanted the '68.
    Now I've had it 3-4 years and the honeymoon is still on. I think about a different speaker, but I can plug into an EVM 12L here and that makes it come over the drums, and gives me headroom.But I am not tempted to change the speaker that much, and I haven't touched the tubes. It sounds fantastic.

The ones I tried in the stores, were all clanky. I'm pretty sure that these puppies and especially the speaker, need a real break in. And so I shopped as I said and got one, and broke it in very carefully over a couple of weeks.
    after about 20 hours of gentle play without trying to make it distort, the character of the speaker changed, and the "Excess" bass calmed down a bit ( it is still bassy which I like), so when I turn it up now it's just creamy

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  12. teletail

teletail TDPRI Member

Neither, I'd go with the '65 Princeton Reissue, which I actually did. I love it. I use it for practice every day. Maybe I'm a tube snob, but I've never heard a Solid State amp that I like as much as my tube amps.

jimash likes this.
  13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Princeton Reverb RI and ‘68 Custom Princeton Reverb have the same circuit, but different values for a half-dozen components.

It’s the same thing with the ‘63 Vibroverb RI, Custom Vibrolux Reverb, and ‘68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb. Same circuit, but different values for a half-dozen components. The tiniest of differences is that the CVR doesn’t have the NFB resistor soldered into the PCB.

jimash likes this.
  14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I tried a TM Deluxe Reverb (only because I was there for something else) and I liked it for the most part. I thought
    some of the tones were too "pristine' sounding to my ears. (i.e. not much Fender chime).

15. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

By all means, call me a "moron" if it advances your incorrect assertion in your mind. Change the values in a circuit, you change the circuit ... add negative feedback where there was none before, you've changed the circuit. It's a simple point but seems to anger you that anybody disagrees with you. You could write it off to a difference of opinion and realize nobody has to be "a moron" to have a difference of opinion.

16. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

I just ordered a Joyo American Sound pedal from Amazon for $40. I’m going to see if I can get a Twin Reverb sound with that using my Pro Junior.

Owenmoney and jimash like this.
  17. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I'm just glad I brought my own football.....

18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Indeed, Rev, but perhaps when you were busy looking up definitions and the use of quotation marks, perhaps you should have looked up the definition of "circuit".

It's a path. The path along which current travels. Traditionally, humans have used major design elements to identify particular circuits. Modifying a few values of caps or resistors doesn't change the path - it simply modifies the way electrons respond to mechanical, optical or other devices in the path. Once you have changed major elements of the path, then yeah, I think most people would agree, hey, that's a different path, let's call it something different. Changing a few values along the way - nope, IMO, not a different circuit.

Everyone has to have their own way of thinking about stuff and you should be as welcome to your opinion as I am to mine. My view is that words have meaning and it helps the process if we can understand those meanings in a common, well-defined way.

jgmouton, jimash and Mexitele Blues like this.
  19. Mexitele Blues

I think if I ordered an amp from a builder and told him I wanted a 68 CPR circuit but he gave me component values from a 65 PRRI I would say that's not the circuit I wanted. But I also think we are closer to a philosophical quandry than we all want to admit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

jimash likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.