Fender: The Golden Age 1946-1970

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tele Shred King, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Add Fender: The Inside Story by Forrest White to that list. White was Fender's plant manager during "The Golden Era", and the book has tons of cool inside information on how things were done back in those days.

2. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

I think Fender has experienced a second golden age...1986 to... NOW! Most of my Fender collection is made up of guitars from the late 80's to 2010, with several 1990's models in between. I also have a '76 strat which doesn't compare to the 'newer' guitars. They've managed to respect their design roots while using some modern techniques...the best of both worlds!

I hope they can sustain the quality they've delivered over the past 25 years.

3. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

A little off topic but I think the CBS thing in general is a bit ridiculous, though certainly founded in fact. Repeatedly growing up i heard " don't buy Silverface amps, they all suck, blah blah..." But just recently I was gifted a 77 or so Pro Reverb - the "crappiest" of the few designs up to that point - solid state recitifier, master volume etc....

And you know what? I love it.

I still plan to do the Blackface mods, but as it sits it's STILL a hand-wired "point-to-point" construction TUBE amplifier. Still probably constructed better than plenty of the crap that has come out since then, including the PCB DRRI's out right now, even if those do sound better.

All I know is - my main axe is a 72 RI Deluxe Tele and I love it.

4. Tele Shred King

Tele Shred King TDPRI Member

Well like I said earlier to another person, its really your opinion on the sound it makes and how clean the noise is if you hate humming and sizzling blah blah lol

5. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You're absolutely correct about that. Since I have that book I should of course have mentioned it ... My memory isn't what it was though - actually has never been ... :oops:

6. Mick Sullivan

Mick Sullivan Tele-Meister

As somebody new to Telecasters, I have to ask how people think the current era will be viewed as time passes?

In related news, I saw this ‘72 in a Paris store window earlier this month:

[​IMG]

7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Not according to those currently selling CBS instruments.

8. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.