Fender Telecaster Walnut Elite 1983/84

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jackson753, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Hi,
    I remember when this series was released and checking them out it in the magazines at the time. I was still at school the other day I glimpsed at one on ebay and then went back to read up.

Am I right in thinking that the pickups up are humbuckers which with a switch or push of the button could become single coils?

Would a walnut guitar be heavy?

Does anyone here have one?

What's a fair price to pay for one?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

2. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Can't tell you anything about that specific guitar. But, walnut is no more light or heavy (on average) than most of the other woods we build with. It comes down to the piece of wood chosen for a given guitar.

It's got a slightly more mid-range and high-end resonance than mahogany, though I'm not sure most people can tell a real difference on an acoustic (at least I generally can't). Walnut makes some really great guitars. It's my favorite wood to build anything with!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

3. Dan Estock

Dan Estock TDPRI Member

I have gold walnut elite. It is a really nice looking guitar with body binding and mother of pearl tuners and it is the heaviest guitar I ever held, makes every LP seem like a feather weight. Pups are HBers, might qualify as minis. There is no coil tap but it does have an active mid boost. The neck on mine is a skinny V.
    I paid $400 for it used back around 1990, no idea on its value now.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Welcome Dan!

I hear you. I have a one piece walnut body T style from Tommy Rosamond and it is tied for being the heaviest guitar I own. And it already has forearm relief and a tummy cut.

This particular one is fairly bright, and not especially prominent in the mid ranges. Normally I cringe when people make generalizations about the tonal character of various woods, but I will confess I've never played a walnut body guitar I thought was on the warm side, even when other measures were taken to take it in that direction. I'd be more fearful the guitar would just be prohibitively heavy.

I think if we just selected pieces of walnut for beauty and routed them out and sanded them, they'd typically tip the scales between 6-12 pounds. I wouldn't recommend that. The one I have would be way at the light end of the walnut scale. Maybe some Italian Walnut or Butternut bodies would be lighter.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy and welcome!
    Cool Strat!
    Can you post a pic, or 9?

6. Dan Estock

Dan Estock TDPRI Member

7. Dan Estock

Dan Estock TDPRI Member

Hmm, I see the pic in the post, nobody else does?

8. Dan Estock

Dan Estock TDPRI Member

Maybe now?

Attached Files:

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That worked, Dan.

But they also have these hosting services and you could post a nice big image in that way.

10. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Meister

lol, alot. If I recall there is so much real gold on with those that fender actually lost money

11. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the info so far everyone it's been very useful and an education. I'm very impressed with the knowledge on this forum.

Dan thanks for posting the picture that guitar looks very handsome. Would you say the neck was comfortable?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

12. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

Those guitars were new when I was a young lad in my formative musical years, and I was always fascinated by them. I'd love to check one out now, but I haven't seen one in the wild since probably 1983 or 1984.

I've always thought of walnut as a lot like maple as a tonewood. It's fairly hard and can be heavy. Rickenbacker has used it for years---most Rickenbackers are all-maple, but for a long time they made a few models (650D, 650S, 4004) in walnut, and more recently they've done versions of most of their models with walnut bodies and maple fingerboards. I have a Rickenbacker 650D and it's not a particularly heavy guitar, but it's not very big to start with. Smaller body than a Tele or a Strat. The bigger Ricks are semi-hollow.

13. Dan Estock

Dan Estock TDPRI Member

I normally like thicker necks but I had this set up years ago with a tall nut and high action to use it as my slide guitar. The mid boost and sustain of the body make it good for that job.

14. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I just got done building a walnut Tele: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/walnut-telecaster-build.1002317/ I chambered it, and the final weight of the body is about 5 lbs. The total guitar weighs 8 lbs. Not too bad. I can tell the difference acoustically when playing a Tele -- unplugged -- made of walnut versus mahogany versus ash, for example. I agree with what @horseman308 said about the tonality of walnut versus mahogany, for example. Walnut has a very present, clear, and yet non-piercing top end that is wonderful.

I think the Taylor Guitars site on tonewoods provides helpful generalizations: https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/features/woods/body-woods/walnut

As for whether you'll like it or not, who can say. But I'd be surprised if you didn't. You'll just need to find out the weight and see if that's a deal-breaker for you. If you always sit down when you play, it doesn't matter.

15. Dan Estock

Dan Estock TDPRI Member

7543C843-D0EA-440D-B04A-30465A1BC426.jpeg

16. Dan Estock

Dan Estock TDPRI Member

A0068EAE-B335-452D-8DC6-1C3E76587491.jpeg

17. Dan Estock

Dan Estock TDPRI Member

Some close up pics of the grain

18. Dan Estock

Dan Estock TDPRI Member

F69A8B97-ED58-4261-9A8E-6403242DA9E8.jpeg

theprofessor and boris bubbanov like this.
  19. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Those are so cool! Back in the day while I did play a few Elite and Gold Elite Strats and Teles I never did see a Walnut Elite Strat or Tele in local stores - just one of the 2-pickup P-basses in the Walnut version.

Thanks for the close-ups @Dan Estock.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.