Fender Telecaster anniversary dates

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by papoon, May 15, 2021.

1. papoon

papoon TDPRI Member

I am looking forward to getting an anniversary edition Telecaster, the recent models did not really jump out at me. I am wondering what some of the upcoming anniversaries are for Fender and the Telecaster. There should be one coming up in 2025?.

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Letting you in on a little secret about Fender. There is some kind of anniversary every year for every model. And “anniversary” just means different color from last year. Shop around. Look at GC or Sweetwater or other mega retailers because they get special “anniversary” models. And by “models” I mean colors.

Another very good option if you live in US is the Fender Mod Shop. You pay a premium of about 15% but you can choose your neck, pickups, guard, sometimes hardware and any color you want. And it gets delivered in 2-3 weeks and it’s a MIA Corona Fender. I’ve done it several times and I love it.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  3. Strat-guy

Strat-guy NEW MEMBER!

I just picked this 1996 50th Anniversary USA, can anyone tell me about it? I’m a drummer that loves fender guitars Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

tce63 likes this.
  4. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

As Killing Floor says, Fender will do run pretty much every year for some or other anniversary and probably incorporate several options into each. This year I think there may be one for the CEO’s cousin’s birthday. The cleaner got a puppy four years ago so stand by for it’s fifth birthday next year. Might be a variation on the Hello Kitty range but with a doggy, limited run of 55,000. Cynical, me?!

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Nice guitar - but the '6' anniversaries don't really mean anything except the anniversary of Kaifnan & Fender. The guitars themselves will all have a badge and you might get a special colour. Nothing wrong, nice axe but not special compared to 95 or 97 unless they introduced a new model or something.

Anniversaries of individual instruments tend to be a bit more special - P-bass, Strat, Tele J-bass etc.

The 94 50th anni Strat they brought out things like a two-tone burst on ash, maple V-neck, gold hardware, vintage logo: ditto something like the 2020 70th Broadcaster last year.

6. balston11

balston11 Tele-Meister

Its not a 50th anniversary model all guitars of that year had that sticker on the 50th anniversary tele has a commenorative neckplate and gold hardware

7. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus Tele-Meister

1E1DB5D6-4B04-4F50-A227-F0D21C377D33.jpeg My Diamond Ann’y Tele was a 2006 model (mine was made in 2005 - go figure). From what I know this was the 60th anniversary of Fender (?), and then in 2011, Fender had another 60th anniversary (Tele’s b’day?). Very confusing, but I still love my Tele. It was based on the American Std model that year. I updated a few things to my liking and it is my best playing guitar.

8. papoon

papoon TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, great perspective. I think I may go the custom shop route as Killing Floor made some great points. I still like the anniversary name plate and case markers idea but custom shop makes sense and I always wanted a natural finish with white binding. I will have to start planning it out.

9. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Yes, yours was for the 60th Anniversary of Fender in 2006; the 2011s were the 60th Anniversary of the Telecaster. Fender usually does some production runs of new/special models in November/December so they have some to ship out after the new/special model is introduced at the NAMM shows in January - so some of the 2006 Anniversary model's run was made in late 2005.

As mentioned all Fenders got that 50th Anniversary of Fender medallion/sticker on the back of the headstock. The guitar is a 1996 American Standard Telecaster with the pickguard changed to a pearloid one - the stock pickguard would have been 3-ply white (white/black/white layers).

RockinforJesus likes this.
  10. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I thought they only people who cared about anniversary models were the sellers.

11. Hotrod40

Hotrod40 Tele-Afflicted

Congrats very nice guitar...and yes like someone mentioned in 2011 was the anniversary of the telecaster 1951-2011 they introduced it at NAMM as Telebration and put out new models every month many members on here bought certain models I personally bought 3 the Browns Canyon which later switched to Old Growth the 62 Custom and the Cabronita

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.