Fender Tele: Is it genuine or a partcaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by braveheart, Dec 5, 2019.

1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

We all can buy new Fender necks and combine them with 3rd party parts (especially bodies) that have Fender specs

for example with a lower quality Squire Affinity or classic vibe body...

How can you be sure that the used Fender, you wanna buy on Ebay, is 100% genuine?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  2. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

you post pics here, and some eagle eyed members will tell you exactly what you are looking at!!!!

3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Unless the Tele is broken out so you can see the body and neck id stamps, you can’t for sure.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

No, but if it's a common model it's not hard to see marriages of parts that don't belong.

With the plethora of models from Japan it's harder. But US and Mexican models isn't that difficult.

5. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Necks are quite easy to identify (except for high end fakes), but you can’t tell for sure what a body is without looking at hidden details like the neck pocket and stamps or stickers. However some of the cheap Squiers have different specs: thickness of the body, width of the control plate, string spacing... so anything that does not fit perfectly right is a clue.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Best thing to do when building or modifying a guitar is write on a 3x5 card you fold into the control cavity, just what the parts are. Weigh the guitar and put that on there too. Then when you want to sell both you and the buyer know exactly what is what. A change log. Otherwise even well meaning sellers forget things.

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

You wanna buy on Ebay...is it 100% genuine?

If it's a name vendor, such as Musician's Friend or Stratosphere, you can be certain it's a real-deal Fender guitar or part of one if it's advertised as such.

Buying from an individual seller, though...the risks of chicanery dramatically increase. "Buyer beware" is the rule of the day here, and educating yourself on as many details as you can (beyond getting a killer deal) as well as being patient are what you need to do. I've lost count of the number of times someone has asked me, "is this a real Fender" *after* they've bought the thing. That is not how to do it. Most times, it has been the item it was advertised to be.

Sometimes, however, it has not. Most of these kinds of sales are the seller being purposefully dishonest. A smaller percentage are uneducated sellers moving an item they genuinely believe is what they were told when they bought it. But dishonesty is usually the M.O.

For instance, there are many fleabay ads for butchered bodies/necks where the seller claims something like, "I know it looks ugly, but this is how I bought it and never got around to using it for a project." Riiiight. And monkeys will fly out of my butt [stares into camera].

Buying in the used market from individual sellers is risky, because it is quite common for someone to spend too much money on something they think is genuine, only to discover after the fact that it's not what it was purported to be. If they cannot get their money back--yes, that does happen in many fleabay transactions--they will attempt to pass their stupidity along to another unsuspecting buyer. Do not be that person (seller OR buyer).

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I hope I don't sound disrespectful (truly) but ALL Fenders are partscasters. I understand the desire to have authentic parts and components, but unless you buy a pristine, new guitar, you always run a risk that something has been changed. When evaluating a guitar, I judge it by feel, playability, sound, and weight. That's all that matters to me. What makes a Classic Vibe body lower quality in your view? Best wishes.....

nicod98 likes this.
  9. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

« Name vendor », yes for some of them, but don’t be naive. There is an eBay shop from Germany (you can’t miss it, thousands of guitars and parts on sale), the condition of the items they sell and their descriptions are constantly questionable. I would never buy anything from them, regardless of price or what I believe it to be.

mimmo likes this.
  10. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

In the end you have to rely on the reputation of the seller, and their reputation for making things right. Counterfeits are everywhere, in every industry.

11. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I am presuming that you mean "100% stock", not "100% genuine".

You can have a Tele that is comprised of 100% genuine Fender parts, but the parts were never sold together in the same guitar.

For a Tele to be 100% genuine, you'd have to take the neck off the body, then have Fender authenticate the serial numbers on the neck and body.

Unless you're buying a collector piece, I see no reason to know. If the Tele looks and plays as it was designed and described, then go for it! ;)

braveheart and nojazzhere like this.
  12. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I was thinking the same!

Ps bon courage avec la grève ;)

LowCaster likes this.
  13. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

That's included in the 'education' piece I mentioned. Diving in with no idea how deep the water is...some folks break their own neck.

mimmo likes this.
  14. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Seems that every Ebay seller that qualifies any claim with "... as far as I know." probably almost certainly does know that something's not real.

I always read "AFAIK" as "A fake".

Maybe that's just me.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Without a full, documented provenance, I will never pay a premium for a used Fender. Sorry.

Find one you like, pay current market and you're good.

And never, ever, ever, ever buy vintage at vintage prices without a full, documented provenance.

It takes a little skill, but not an overwhelming amount of skill, to make a Fender that looks, sounds, feels, and even smell like the real thing.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.