1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Supersonic Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by ruger9, Jul 15, 2008.

1. rvrolens

rvrolens NEW MEMBER!

Will post photos soon!

2. Frank-n-Furter

Frank-n-Furter TDPRI Member

Long time lurker - just wanted to say hi to everyone. Have a 60w generation 1 for some time now, still in love with it. Cheers, Frank

C523EEFD-30EB-4673-9803-12B0F828472F.jpeg

RevBillyG, 6String69 and Tommy Biggs like this.
  3. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

On the back of this amp, the "automatic bias" meter with a light indicator to show that tubes are warming up, keeps going left to right when I power my SS 100. According to the manual, turn on the amp, after 60 seconds, the lights should hold steady, to show the tubes are warm. Then flip the standby switch.

My problem: the lights on the automatic bias keep going left to right but never hold steady. Then, if I flip the standby switch, the lights will hold steady and everything will appear okay. However, the burn channel sounds like tin crap, no burn at all. The showman channel sounds great.

I bought the amp to mostly use the clean channel, I had little interest in the burn channel. I bought the amp from GC used about 2 weeks ago.

My question:

Is there an easy fix for this? Do you know what is going on? Should I return the amp and get something else? If so, what would be something comparable?

(yes I am mainly a bass player, but I am using this amp for guitar, just in case there is some confusion)

Thank you!!

4. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

Update: my amp is sounding awesome and I really love it. I love all of the channels. It took me a bit of playing around to get a feel for this amp, but it is great!

03E3DE0B-E2C2-414D-B5B4-7EE79672241F.jpeg

5. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I realized that I really like playing through an OCD pedal into the bassman channel for my overdrive tone and haven’t really been using the built in burn channel. Also, I like how my fuzz pedals sound direct into the bassman chanel. I am wondering if I should have just got a bassman? Nah, I love this amp.

6. GTRANIMAL

GTRANIMAL TDPRI Member

7. GTRANIMAL

GTRANIMAL TDPRI Member

If youever start looking for something a little more portable or lower wattage,you might check out a Fender VM 68 DRRI. The Custom Channel is Bassman voiced and at 22 watts is perfect for most clubs. I still have my SS60 but since I got the 68 its almost been retired. Good for outdoors but thats about it.

6String69 likes this.
  8. nickshrub

nickshrub TDPRI Member

I got a good deal on a used SS Twin online that arrived last night. I love everything about it ... except it's got a painful, nearly half-second delay when switching between the clean/dirt channels. Kind of a dealbreaker for Pixies-style soft/loud/soft songs, unfortunately.

Sounds like the same issue others have run into. Are there any decent solutions for the switching delay issues? Would really appreciate if there's any guidance from Fender or other threads that I've missed. I can still send mine back, if it comes to that. Thanks!

I recently returned a 2018 SS-22 head that I was running into my DeVille's 4x10 cab, but only because it didn't have enough headroom for my loud band needs (I'm used to the DeVille, what can I say). Personally, really hoping the SS Twin works out, since besides the weight, this seems like my dream amp: Fender clean + Bassman crunch + highly-tweakable multi-band EQ tube dirt channel. The thing that ultimately bugged me off of the DeVille was really just shared EQ and drastic sound differences between the two channels. The SS Twin's 'R2-D2' computer Auto-Bias system scares me a bit -- but at the same time, with 13 tubes in this guy, it also would save a lot of downtime/money if it works as intended.

6String69 likes this.
  9. Frank-n-Furter

Frank-n-Furter TDPRI Member

Small Update: Put a Jensen Jet Tornado 100w Neo in my SS 112 - that fixed the icepick sound and weight problems. Still in love, perfect amp close to Dumbleland.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    6String69 likes this.
  10. Mark

Mark Tele-Meister

11. omstrat

omstrat TDPRI Member

12. omstrat

omstrat TDPRI Member

Hi Just got my first Supersonic..What a sound.Mines the blond tolex . I swapped out the original tubes for a set of Eurotubes JJs higher gain tubes.For heavier British Blues you can't beat the sound now. I got it used ( mint condition) I'm not sure of the year but it has a Fender 60 badge on the back. Is that a 60th anniversary logo?.I was told it's a 60 watt but nowhere on the amp does it say 60watt..I dont doubt it but just curious . Anyone try different speakers in that amp.
    Many Thanx Cheers LEE

6String69 likes this.
  13. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Is this a newer Super-sonic, with the spaghetti/script logo, or the original Super-sonic, with the star trek looking logo?

The original only came in a 60W version. The new ones came in 22W, 60W, 100W, and Twin. If the Faceplate says "Super-Sonic" and NOT "Super-Sonic 22", then it is a 60-watter.

14. omstrat

omstrat TDPRI Member

IMG_3228.jpeg
    Looks like a Star Trek logo to me ..I think the guy said it was 10 years old ..Sounds amazing

15. ruger9

That's the original version. 60 watts.

16. omstrat

omstrat TDPRI Member

Anyone try some different speakers in their SS ? Just curious ...Next I have to figure out where the bias control is.

17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've loved Super Sonics I've tried.

I also love my MIII approximation of it

18. ruger9

I had a C-rex in my SS22 for 5 years. But to be honest, I just put the Lighting Bolt (OEM speaker) back in, and there's not much difference. Both are great speakers.

The new 60W version comes with a V30.

19. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

Absolutely loving my Supersonic 100. I have grown to prefer the Burn channel over any OD pedals I own.

D6FDE397-554A-43BD-A425-8350A4FEC313.jpeg

tah1962 likes this.
  20. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I no longer have mine. I’ve owned the 22W Combo, 22W Head, and the 60W Head. Great amps but I have moved to single channel amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.