1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Supersonic Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by ruger9, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

mine is toothpaste green, so I'm embarrassed. Sounds good though, and the price was right...

2. Dennis Brown

Dennis Brown Tele-Meister

Got my Supersonic 60 combo two years ago. A used blonde, first generation, with a Mesa Boogie cover, worn out tubes and no footswitch...but was in showroom condition. A fresh set of JJ tubes from Eurotubes and it is the best sounding amp I've ever had. I opted for a cooler tube in V2, so the bassman channel/mode would be cleaner, giving me two very different clean channels and slightly less gain in the lead channel, which already has more than I would ever use.

I have several amps, a Hot Rod Deluxe (of course), a Blues Jr, plus have owned all kinds of tube amps by Marshall, Peavey, Fender and some of the desirables like late 60 Marshalls and original Bassmen, but this tops the list for both ease of use and quality of tone. It is a heavy sucker, but worth the haul.

Found it on Craigslist for entirely too little money, I drove an hour and a half to pick it up outside of Elkin, NC, even though I had never heard one and made the drive solely on their reputation for sound. Once I got there, even with spent tubes, the tone was obvious.

3. jakaj

jakaj Tele-Meister

Sounds like you're really happy. I keep wanting one, but have so far not gotten a good deal here in Europe. Now there's a new amp in town, the Victory V40 (or V45 combo) with seeminglye beautiful cleans and some nice raunchy dirt, and again I am pulled away from a Super/Sonic purchase. But every time someone expresses their happiness with the amp here, I waiver. Hopefully will be able to try them side by side soon.

4. Dennis Brown

Dennis Brown Tele-Meister

I think it depends on what you want to do. To me, it is the perfect working amp for country/blues/rock mix, Texas style. The two "modes" are really two channels since the Bassman channel adds an extra tube in the mix, meaning you can run it cool like I do for warm tones, or hot for barely dirty sounds, and still have the crystal clear clean channel, and a raunchy dirty channel. I was hesitant since it only had treble and bass tone controls for the clean modes, but that is all it needs.

Badspike likes this.
  5. jakaj

jakaj Tele-Meister

I tend to stretch all the way to rock but play a lot of clean as well, so your description makes it sound like it is the one amp I need. I have no problem with the lack of a mids control because I like my mis around 6 anyway, and I find I can control mids very well on the 57 wampler if I feel I need to. I have tried the two amps (ss22 and ss60) briefly at the store, loved the SS60! Probably because of the better speaker, but before selling any of the amps I have I want to be absolutely sure I prefer the ss.

6. Badspike

Badspike TDPRI Member

New Supersonic club member. Picked up a SS60 on a scratch and dent sale. Replaced V1-V3 with TungSol reissues and V4 with a Shuguang 12AX7. So far pretty happy with it. Both of the clean channels are usable for a Fender vibe and after much dialing in the burn channel is delivering a decent crunch. Pushin' it with a EP booster and Psionic Audio Telos with either my Korina Tele or Les Paul Studio T. I'll take a look at output tubes after I get some use out of the GT tubes that came with it and maybe down the road look at speaker options. For now though its a keeper!

Archtop Bill likes this.
  7. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Just picked up a used SS 112 (2006?) and it feels like I stole it - got it for the price the "usual" big box guitar store would pay for it when buying.

The amp appears completely stock, except for a missing foot switch. Still has all the original Fender branded "Groove Tubes" tubes.

Plan on changing out the V30 for a Cannabis Rex and want to go to 5881 or JJ 6V6S in the power section. Also want to reduce the "burn" on the burn channel - thinking a 5751 by JJ or Jan Phillips or perhaps a Shuguang 12AX7 since I liked that tube in a Vox AC15.

A lotta amp in there to play with...

8. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Twin4-1200-80.jpg

yes, I know...... I have no respect for my neighbours, band mates- or hearing. What can I say? It does everything and the price was .....advantageous! :D

Not a bedroom amp, a grab-and-go staple, or recording special- but a great backline amp, in any venue.

tonyj and Tommy Biggs like this.
  9. iceblademan

iceblademan NEW MEMBER!

Resurrecting this thread from a shallow grave.
    Just picked up a circa 2007 NOS SS 60 1x12. Still had stock tubes, under 10 hours of play time, sat in a closet for a decade until I bought it. I exclusively play a rather dark sounding 70's HH Tele, so I elected to put EHX 12AX7's in V1 and V2. It sounds great but the reverb is extremely noisy and I'll probably have a tech take a look. Any suggestions for tubes for the burn channel/PI?

Archtop Bill likes this.
  10. cvansickle

cvansickle Tele-Holic

I just bought a gently used Supersonic 22 combo. I love it! It's a big departure from the Marshall and Vox sounds I've been playing all these years. Viva la variety!

Tommy Biggs and Archtop Bill like this.
  11. Maxx77

Maxx77 NEW MEMBER!

Hi,

I find the V30 speaker on the SS60 to be a little harsh.
    Any advice for something sweeter?
    I play on a cover band, that plays mainly rock.
    Always on the bassman side, drive comes from pedals

Thanks in advance

12. Blues Hurler

Blues Hurler Tele-Holic

My old tweedy 5E3 has become somewhat cantankerous, and I wanted to get a modern amp with this thing called a warranty, and maybe two channels to cut down on the pedals and so on. Took months of trying different amps, but I settled on the 22 combo and it is making me very happy. It was worth the search. This amp can do anything I need, and all I have to do is plug straight in.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  13. MusicCityGrooves

MusicCityGrooves TDPRI Member

I totally dig my SS22, which I've gigged and rehearsed with for a couple of years now.

I'm mainly in it for a fairly gainy sound from the burn channel, where I can ride the guitar's volume to get a range of tones anywhere from light crunch to liquid, singing single-note lines for melodies and soloing. I haven't found solid state solutions like amps and pedals to respond to that approach the way tube-produced distortion does.

For the handful of tunes I play that need a clean sound, the clean channel gives me a nice warm, round sound with the treble down and the bass up.

The one thing the amp doesn't do for me is sound as awesome for home practice at family-in-the-house volume. I'm using a VHT Special 6 Ultra for that, and though that amp also sounds way better when it's cranked up a bit, I find it tolerable for low-volume practice. That amp is voiced pretty Fendery, but a bit darker, and maybe its darker voice dials down while keeping some girth better than the SS.

Is anyone using an affordable attenuator that can dial back the volume while totally keeping the tone of their SS intact?

14. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

I put a volume pedal in the fx loop. Kills the idle noise and allows for great home practice volume levels.

15. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity

I just rejoined the club. I had a 22, but sold it and regretted it later (this was a couple of years ago). I wasn't super keen on the clean channel, as I found it exceedingly bright with single coils, which is what I use most often.

But the Burn channel was awesome, so I decided to look around for a Super Sonic 60 combo, and got a good deal on a used one. I like the clean channel better, with the switch for Vibrolux or Bassman settings. I feel that gives the amp more versatility than the 22. The Burn channel still rips, so all good there.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  16. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Holic

I recently picked up a used Supersonic 22 and found it to be the perfect partner to go with a 22 Deluxe Reverb in an AB setup - feels like the best of both worlds for fenders of that size.

bftfender, TeleBrew and Archtop Bill like this.
  17. iceblademan

iceblademan NEW MEMBER!

Updating my experience here. I've had an on-again off-again relationship with my SS60 over the past year. I can see why some people were unhappy with these amps right off the line. In my opinion, the stock V30 doesn't do either the Vibrolux or the Bassman channel any favors and really accentuates the drastic EQ difference between each circuit i.e. huge volume jump between the channels at the same settings. Also the preamp has 10 tubes which raises the noise floor quite significantly.

I'm please to report with just a little work, this piece of clay can become a true masterpiece. I replaced all the tubes - NOS Jan Phillips in the PI, JJ 5751's in v1, v2, v3, and regular JJ's in the rest of the slots. That immediately lowered the hissing of the amp and made the Burn side more bluesy. It also opened up the volume control on the clean channel a bit so I can run it on 1 at practice and not clip all the mics. I also replaced the stock reverb cable with a higher quality insulated one that got rid of the hissy reverb. I'm running an EHX Silencer through the effects loop with the rest of my loop pedals to silence any hiss when I'm not playing. Stuck a Warehouse G12C in there instead of the V30.

Now, holy **** this thing sings. The disparity between the Vibro/Bassman has been evened out, the cleans are spectacular, the overdrive channel is usable. It is quiet, my delays and chorus sound awesome through the loop, the reverb can be 100% wet and not get hissy. When I move to the middle position with my Tele and kick on the Bassman channel it is this sweet, proud, throaty American rhythm tone I've been looking for. Less than $200 in parts and this thing sounds better than the other guitarist's DRRi easily.

Moral of the story - don't give up on your SS60. There were some less than stellar design decisions with this stock amp, but with a little work you can actually fulfill the promise of "3 amps in 1" that this series carries. I am 100% convinced this thing will be a modern classic that will be sought after in a decade.

Flaneur, bftfender and Archtop Bill like this.
  18. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

I can relate having had a similar experience of on and off discontent with my SS22. Upgrading the tubes including replacing V1 with a JAN 5751 helped a lot. Tilt-back legs helped, but swapping the stock speaker with a GASC64 was a dramatic change. It now sounds like a well played, well maintained BF Deluxe.

The idle noise can be a distraction at low volumes, but this week is my two year anniversary with the SuperSonic and it remains my favorite amp after more than 50 years of guitar.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  19. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

I got a chance to pick one up tomorrow for $500, blonde color 2012, intrigued, have HRD3 modded , 68 custom reverb deluxe and peavey delta Blues 15, this could be an amp that might not need pedals, i understand gain stages and this could work for me

Archtop Bill likes this.
  20. rvrolens

rvrolens NEW MEMBER!

I just got me a mint super sonic 60 so I will join the super sonic amp club if y'all will accept!

Archtop Bill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.