Fender Supersonic Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by ruger9, Jul 15, 2008.

1. cuscus

cuscus Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Whistling noise on clean channel.

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help out there ?

Apologies if this is covered somewhere else in this thread.

I recently bought a 2nd hand supersonic 60 combo, its the later version, I tested at home at lower volumes before taking it out to gigs to get settings & tones. 2nd day of testing for set ups etc the clean channel started to break up & I found one of the power tubes had blown, I replaced both with a matched pair of Mesa 6L6's with a 10 rating, the cleans are now much better, I don't need the early break up in either mode, so like this set up, everything else seemed fine.

But I have had a few teething problems so far & at a recent gig I noticed a high pitched whistling, at first on the bassman setting, then at higher volumes on the vibrolux as well, it kicks in around No 3 - 4 on the volume & goes away when turned down, its not whistling on the burn channel.
    Now I know this could be a tube, so I had a quick look inside & found that tubes 5 & 6 had been swapped round or replaced wrong ie; 6 = 12AT7 but had a 12AX7 & 5 = 12AX7 but had the 12AT7 in there, I put them back where they should be, but have not tried the amp since - would this cause the whistling I have experienced ?

Before I go replacing each tube & retesting, I thought I would throw this out to someone that may know more than I do, I hope you can help !

2. ryguy79

ryguy79 Tele-Meister

Sadly, my supersonic will be up for sale soon. I have a Dr Z Remedy head coming. I know I'll miss this amp, but I've been jonesin for this Z since it came out.

3. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Hmm... no one hear has bought one of the FSR models, with the Greenback?

4. bluezguy

bluezguy Tele-Meister

Thinking of Buying .. Need Advice

Hi Folks ... I'm sick of my Fender DEVILLE 4 X 10 ... I've had it for about 10 years now and it's just WAY TOO LOUD. Why did I keep it for so long? because it's always been my 'clean' sound in-home rehearsal amp and for that, it was well suited.
    Recently, I've been taking it to open mics where you bring your own back end (so to speak) and when using the overdrive channel 2, I really gotta crank it to make it sound good ... and it does however; I get ORDERED to turn it down or leave.
    Is the 60 Watt Supersonic combo a better more adjustable amp at lower volumes than my DeVille? Or, do I need to get the 22 Watt Supersonic or, back to a Deluxe of which I've had at least 6 over the past 40 years. I'm pretty bored with the Deluxe as I now use primarily a es335 with Seth Lovers instead of my Tele or Strat.

5. Gary-J

Gary-J Former Member

Hey bluezguy, I'd definitely pic one up, I know I love mine, just picked her up yesterday.

It's a used 2006 model but in very good condition.

[​IMG]

6. Jayr1669

Jayr1669 NEW MEMBER!

supersonic 100watt is king

Even though I rarely use the 100 watt setting, I'm glad I was patient and saved for this amp because the tone is WARM and AMAZINGLY TWEAKABLE. This amp records and plays live beautifully. I love my fender supersonic 212 100 watt but it is HEAVY.

7. Gary-J

Gary-J Former Member

Yeah, they can get rather heavy, and I agree, they are great amps.

8. agdtec

agdtec TDPRI Member

Can you replace the 6L6s with 6V6s?

I have always thought the 6V6s were very comparable to 6L6s, but at lower power and a little warmer bottom end.

Has anyone tried 6V6s?
    Can the amp be re biased to use them or is the cool normal warm circuit not able to be adjusted to the lower voltage of 6V6s?

I am not an amp tech so I have no idea, but I don't want to take it in for service and get billed for time only to find out it can't be done.

9. agdtec

agdtec TDPRI Member

Instead of adding resistors in the amp, Could you have gotten the same benefit by turning the volume knob on your guitar down? It is basically the same thing isn't it?

Just asking because I don't know not trying to be a smart @ss.

10. benadrian

benadrian Tele-Meister

Not quite. Adding the series resistance of a voltage divider (the volume knob) right before a long cable run (which has small but measurable capacitance) will cause an RC filter and affect frequency response and impedance. Changing the resistors on the input, after the cable run, will have less of an impact. It will still affect tonality, but not as much.

This is why plugging into input 2 on two input Fender amps (the lower gain input) doesn't sound as tonally different as rolling the volume back on the high input.

Now, as an aside, sometimes this tonal difference can be useful. If you're cranking a vintage fender amp, the bass knob usually needs to be reduced to reduce "farty" distortion. So, you can set your lead sound with your volume full up and the bass down. If you were playing clean with those EQ settings, it might be too bright. But if you get your clean sound by rolling the volume knob on the guitar down, the high end loss will counteract the harsh brightness of the amps tone setting for overdrive tones. It's a specific use case, but it's one that has been happening for a long, long time.

Cheers!

11. Tronc the cube

Tronc the cube Tele-Meister

My super sonic 60 just arrived off the plane. Blonde version. The search is over.

12. andyboygenius

andyboygenius TDPRI Member

Well Join the club don't mind if I do Ruger9 isn't it strange we are both GB Black Pearl 30 owners now I have scored a SS22 head.
    The BPearl amp is so crystal clean but its distortion is way too all or nothing. Probably due to all that headroom. Anywhere in between sounds fizzy and yuk. I have been trying to find a happy medium with pedals for two years and have finally decided the tube rectifier can't handle the distorted signal.
    Now the Supersonic 22 is just awesome it has everything I am after and at a decent volume as well every other double channel amp is too loud or expensive.
    I have the head version the only problem is there is no proper fender production cab for it small enough. I have a Hane custom cabinet with a n 8ohm Eminance 'The Wizard' speaker in it coming in the post but suspect it will be too bright and agro for this already bright amp.The other problem is the Head is 65cm long and 1x12 cabs including this one are to small. So I'm getting another larger cab made up and probably stick a Cannibis Rex in it. I'll have to let you know how it all goes. This has been a great thread to read cheers guys

13. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

welcome to the club - I'm another BP30/SS22 guy.

14. ruger9

Interesting... I came to a similar conclusion... the tube rectifier PLUS the alnico speaker = too much squish. The SS22 is the opposite... solid state rectifier, ceramic speaker. At first glance, I can see where people would think it might be too stiff.... but, that Gain 2 control puts some squish and compression back into the sound, and I have found the SS22 id a jack-of-all-trades, in a very good way. Where I loved the BP30, for years I was never 100% happy, and always struggled a bit with it.... not so with the SS22. I just plugged it in, and bam- the tone was there. The feel was there. It's easy to use, it takes pedals great....

I'm actually going to sell my BP30, I was just waiting to "be sure" the SS22 is it for me... because the one thing the BP30 has more of is VOLUME. The SS22 isn't as loud. I have played it with a drummer, and the SS22 did fine, but haven't played it in a bunch of different scenarios yet. I figure, worst case, if I find the 22 can't handle it, I'll just buy a 60. It may not sound EXACTLY the same, since it has 6L6s, but it should be plenty close enough.

15. andyboygenius

andyboygenius TDPRI Member

Why not get a 2x8ohm stereo Marshall cab or some such. And use both speaker jacks. Or an 8 ohm quad. Should be loud enough, or at least look loud enough

16. ruger9

Would be louder? Or just "bigger" (moving more air?) Interesting thought tho...

17. unholygrail1

unholygrail1 NEW MEMBER!

The SuperSonic is in no way, shape or form based on the ProSonic. Bruce Zinky would slap the teeth out of your mouth for making that comment.

18. sonicsamurai

sonicsamurai Tele-Meister

I'm pretty sure that I recently saw a video with the UK fender marketing guy saying that the drive channel was based on the prosonic

19. Mark

Mark Tele-Meister

I've got a 60 watt combo and I'm not too crazy about it. The OD channel is okay, better than any other Fender with channel switching that I've played. I prefer the Vibrolux mode but it's super bright. I changed the V1 tube and that helped. But the amp to me is just not warm sounding. I have a "66 Pro Reverb and there's no comparison. Also, the reverb has now crapped out for the second time. The first time it was a cap. It's been sitting in my garage for months. I guess I'll get the reverb fixed again and Craigslist it.

20. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Four pages before anyone even posted a picture of the amp? What kind of crazy club is this? I always picked the SS at the GC rehearsal studio and loved it. It sounded as good as my Bandit, a different type of SS.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.