1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Supersonic Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by ruger9, Jul 15, 2008.

1. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

my ss 60 combo is taking the fun out of buying new amps... got a blues jr a couple of weeks ago and every time i find a sound i like with it i notice i can get damn near the same sound but slightly better out of the ss...

wanted a Blues jr for a long time and now im wondering if it was even worth it.

2. GTRANIMAL

GTRANIMAL TDPRI Member

Outlaw, I have the same set up. My Blues Jr is a 2008 model and my SS 60 is about 2 yrs old. I usually start with getting a good basic tone from the Jr and then working from there. I find that overdriving the Jr sans pedals, tends to give me a brighter tone even w/ the fat switch in. I have an 80's Squire Tele (moded) with Fender Custom Shop pups and I have found the tone I want from both, but needed something a little fatter. So I recently purchased a Fender 70's Stratocaster Pawn Shop Deluxe, so now I'm going through the process again. The settings are very close.

3. ryguy79

ryguy79 Tele-Meister

Just bought a used SS today. Fun amp. Tired of both borrowing from a bandmates group of combos or taking out my old Bandmaster. The SS seems to fit the bill for a versatile gigging amp. I was able to get through band practice with only using my tuner pedal and 1 OD pedal as a boost, which was nice.

4. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

You can probably do away with the OD, as that amp (22, or 60W?) effectively delivers 3 gain stages: Clean/Fat/Burn, all from the footswitch. If you have the 60, jumper the FX send/return and use the convenient send/return volume controls to set up your boost.

For the first time in 30 years, I have a rig that's inspiring with just a guitar, a cable and an amp. I picked up a little Snark clip-on tuner, in order to avoid having anything else at my feet.

Enjoy.

5. ryguy79

ryguy79 Tele-Meister

Its the 60 watt version. Haven't done the fx loop boost trick, but I saw that on a Greg Koch video (which sold me on the amp). I'll probably keep my Full Drive and OCD for use with my Bandmaster but I've got couple other overdrives that will likely be up for sale soon. I'm looking forward to gigging with just a tuner. I haven't really had time to dial it in, but was getting pretty good tones on both channels with both tele and les paul last night. I've got some extra JJ 6L6 tubes that never made it into my Bandmaster that I'd like to try in the SS.

I actually liked that fact that there's a bit of a boost on the bassman channel, for songs that I didn't want full blast overdrive but needed a bit of a clean lead boost with more mids it was great, and the vibrolux clean sat in the mix for rhythm really nicely. Thats probably been beaten to death in this thread already though.

6. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

I had the 60 and now use a modified 22. Loved the 60. The Bassman channel is fantastic, although I could find no application for the Vibrolux, if I had the Bassman dialed in. Too thin..... The FX loop bridge will deliver.

I know you've already figured this out: it's a rather heavy puppy;) My only complaint.

7. ryguy79

ryguy79 Tele-Meister

Its heavy, but its still easier than using a bandmaster head with a big old heavy 2x12. Those old fender 2x12s with JBLs are heavy too.

8. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

Boy Howdy!

9. ryguy79

ryguy79 Tele-Meister

I'm going to read through the thread in its entirety eventually, but anyone have any good tube recommedations for this amp? Without spending silly money on NOS stuff...

10. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

At the risk of stating the obvious, this is one amp that actually sounds very good completely stock. Is there something you feel is missing?

11. ryguy79

ryguy79 Tele-Meister

I just like to tinker, and if I can make it sound better in the process, i'm happy.

12. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

And so it begins....... I understand completely;) Good luck.

13. aj709

aj709 TDPRI Member

Do these amp drop off in volume when going onto the burn channel ??

14. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

the clean and burn channels have separate volume knobs so no but on the 60w the bassman circuit is a little louder than vibrolux but not enough to cause a problem. the 60 rocks!

15. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

Apparently they fixed the volume issue bassman/virbolux because my original SS 112 (also 60w btw) has that volume drop problem.

16. aj709

aj709 TDPRI Member

I know there is a little volume increase on the clean channel when the fat is pushed in. My concern is the burn channel. If the clean volume is on 3 and the burn channel is on 3. The clean channel is about 25% or better louder.

17. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

What are your gain settings? 4 and 4?

18. aj709

aj709 TDPRI Member

That's with the gain up a fair bit.

19. ryguy79

ryguy79 Tele-Meister

Where's the rule that each channel's volume knob has to be set the same? I just turn up the burn a bit higher than the clean channel. Even at big venues I can't run the thing on 10 so I adjust the levels by ear not by number.

20. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

yeah, totally agree, but I guess he wanted to check that the amp wasn't having issues. Mine behaves like that too - I just hadn't noticed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.