1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Supersonic Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by ruger9, Jul 15, 2008.

1. jakaj

jakaj Tele-Meister

Thank you /so very much for your opinion/ - I will actually have a chance to try one out! Which is rare here - but ... is 22 enough for small gigs?

... - I imagine large stages would defeat it - and backline monitors would return guitar as well - but medium gigs? (I used my retubed, rebiased bugera v22 for small gigs - and It just about held its own, but it was on master 8 and volume 9 (clean)... I don't really like to dime my amps too much - I imagine a super-sonic 22 watts is different than a chinese behringer - no matter how surprisingly good for the money (!) it is)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Yes I think it will keep up.
    Depends on your situation, it seems you have plenty of PA production around you in a live setting, so it should be fine.
    A fender 22 watts is loud! May be louder than the bugera, never played one.
    I do have a nice Chinese made amp and its great so I won't go giving em any bad rap unless I have poor experience w one.

I play in a five piece,two horns , heavy drummer, the bass player has a genz Benz amp he says is 900 watt? when we hit our straps we get loud.
    The Ss22 will prob be dimed past half way at this stage where as my ac15 at this point will be fully cranked both master and gain full on....

3. lukez8513

lukez8513 TDPRI Member

Finally arrived today!

image-555661276.jpg

4. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

so as an update im lovin the 60 and think its going to be a lifetime keeper. im still wondering what the 22's like though so i may end up with one in the future yet...

5. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

The 60 is a great amp, Outlaw. no harm no foul. your experience just helps other guys down the line when they search problems placing tubes in amps when packed separately. you done good, posting.

If you want to play at lower volume at home, you should get what you need out of that amp stock, it's got a lot going on, and yet it's very simple if you want to get basic Fender clean- cleanish. Enjoy!

6. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

honestly its quite useable as is besides late at night. i cant push it fully but get vol up to about noon. i think there are more good tones to get with the vol higher but even what i get at noon and below is great. well worth it even if i cant crank it. im glad this was my first fender tube amp. other than this my only tube amps have been blackstar ht-5 (current) and an old marshall jmp 100w stack that i only kept for about a month

7. WholeLottaGlove

WholeLottaGlove Tele-Meister

I always found my SS 60 watt to have fantastic tone at low volume. I recorded quite a few songs with the volume at 9-10 o'clock and loved the sound. The reason I let it go is because I didn't care for the sound when it was cranked. When I played with a drummer, it always seemed my sound was thin. May have been the V30, though.

8. jakaj

jakaj Tele-Meister

Shango666 this was extremely helpful, thank you - now all I have to do is try it to see if I like the drive! Then gather funds, and buy :)

9. terrybellcountr

terrybellcountr Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

the vibrolux channel do have a brighter sound than the bassman. do you have a difference in volume too?
    the front control panel is'nt supposed to get hot. bring it to a tech.

10. terrybellcountr

terrybellcountr Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

put a cable between send and return and lower those volume knobs down to zero. activate the send and return mode on your footswitch. now you have "neighbour friendly indoor sound" from the amp.

11. hiero

hiero Tele-Meister

You CAN enjoy the Super~Sonic at comfortable volumes - even though is a skull-crushing loud amp!
    Here are my preferred settings for a warm tone with my Gibson 335

Select Bassman and adjust the eq and then the Burn (there is a difference in the Burn tone depending upon whether you have Vibrolux or Bassman selected!)

[​IMG]

Another thing to try - Run a 'Vibe' pedal into the Vibrolux chn with a good dollop of Reverb... now you will be transported back to the mid 1960's over and over and over again!

12. jakaj

jakaj Tele-Meister

So I went to the store that has marked stock of ss22 ss60 prri and drri - I was decided to make my choice. The downsidewas that they had just sold the drri and I had to have the salesman bring an ss22 upstairs from the basement (he had no problems with this - so that immediately got the ss22 some bonus points).
    I tried the PRRI and knew immediately that I was in trouble! I loved the PRRI so much, right off the bat. Tried the SS60, which was very nice. It was like the power of the sound was just something the amp was shelling out while drinking a mojito and solving a crossword puzzle on the beach. In a word - effortless. I liked the burn channel, actually - I am thinking heavy metal people would not be turning away, at the same time a blues-man such as myself could easily go into proper Bonamassa territory and back to Hooker sound.

Finally the salesman brought in the SS22, the amp I felt strongly about in theory - from reading online materials

- I liked it fine, it was very nice.

See. Very nice. Not bad at all ... very nice (I want to say very good, but in the company it seems a slight,(!) overstatement). It just does not compare to the clean of the SS60 in my opinion, not even at room volumes. The burn channel on the other hand was nicer at room volumes - as you would expect. But I don't really need a proper drive at room volume. For practicing the saturation can be less pronounced and is still nice enough for me. The SS60 did not pick up my pinch harmonics very well at room volume, it is a 60 watt beast and that a expected it wants to be loud - not to mention the fact that it may take me a while to get to grips with setting it up right.

I then compared the SS22 against the EC Vibrolux and the Pro Junior (pleasantly surprised me because it held its own in the category above) and a cheapo Excelsior - so that in the end there was no doubt the SS22 is a wonderful amp winning on all counts in this company - but alas, my heart already belonged to another (or perhaps two others)

All this though was in vain - I had almost decided on the PRRI and keeping my pedals, I just loved the clean of my guitar with tex mex pickups so much - in fact the only reason I do not have it in my house yet is that I wonder if I won't prefer the DRRI even more. But this is another matter and is not relevant to this thread.

Bottom line for me - if I find a used SS 60 I'll be going for it - meanwhile my modded HRDLX from the nineties (USA made) is great, especially with the arriving Cannabis Rex - but that is another forum altogether also.

These were my two cents, while the memory is fresh, it may help someone going through a similar quandary.

13. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

has anyone actually tried the settings that come in the booklet for the 60w? i didnt like most of them but stragley enough keep catching myself setting it similar to the "lo-fi fuzz" that is in the book with my strat and love it.

14. hessodreamy

hessodreamy Tele-Meister

I picked up my supersonic 22 the other day. I notice there's a slight delay when switching from the drive to the clean channel. It's about 60ms but as you can hear in the attached recording it's noticeable.

www.theseveninches.co.uk/files/supersonic_test.mp3
    [MP3]www.theseveninches.co.uk/files/supersonic_test.mp3[/MP3]

Is this normal and/or acceptable? Do you reckon this its faulty? I tried a SS60 in another shop and didn't have an issue.

Should I take it back to the shop? Are they likely to tell me it's not faulty, it's just how it is? And if they swap it for another, am I likely to have the same issue ?

15. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

what is the secret to using a fuzz with the ss 60? i've had this amp for months and have loved it. untill the other day i'd never plugged a pedal into it. i wanted to try a fuzz to see what all the talk was about and went with the mxr classic 108 fuzz. on the burn channel i cant find a useable setting with the fuzz at all, its just more noise than guitar. on the bassman channel i can get some good tones but they are so much like the burn channel that it makes the pedal kind of pointless, the vibro channel is ice pick city.

any ideas to try?

using fender Am Std strat

16. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I run pedals into the clean ( deluxe) side of my ss22.
    Sound great!

Yes I agree, no point in fuzzing up the burn side.

No exp with the 60 watt I'm afraid.

17. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

im wondering if maybe the fuzz is just one of those pedals that NEEDS the amp cranked into breakup teritory before it starts to sound right.

also i just tried the old effects loop boost folks talk about but my amp just went ape **** and made jackhammer/machine gun sounds full blast as soon as i hit the effects loop button on the supersonic 3btn pedal. it was on clean channel main vol set barely audible both tone knobs at noon and just a hint of reverb.

18. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

Hi guys, I just picked up a CL deal on a SS60 combo.After hearing great things about the amp and trying one out I got a Blond one in mint condition for $675.I couldn't pass on it at that price.The only issue I have now is in both my strats I have Lace sensor hot golds pickups and they don't sound that good with this amp.All my other amps they sound great so im going to change out my pups in my American strat.Any suggestions? I play classic rock, blues, and a little harder stuff like Rush .I have a Dimarzio HB I might try in there but I would like to keep my strat single coil

19. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Do you have guitars that sound good w the SS60?
    If so, just use them....
    Unless you are just gassing for new pickups in a strat!

20. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I´m new in the club

Yesterday I bought a used SS 60 Head (blonde). I was looking after one (instead of a 22 head) because I wanted the vibrolux / bassman voicings in the clean channel. I drove some 200 kilometers to it´s location. I took my American Deluxe Tele with me to test it.

The guy who offered it had a 2x12 SS cabinet. I have to say, i was disappointed; the sound was far to trebly, piercing. I had to turn down the treble tone control to get a sound one could stand. But of course, I tested it only at low volumes.

When I came home with it, I connected the amp to my Palmer 112 with a Cannabis Rex, and yes, what a difference. Turning up the bassman volume a little and getting these little air pressure punches in the belly - heaven.

After playing a little I sat down and read this thread, found some interesting hints. I guess, my main problem will be to lower the output. Later on I will test the effect loop for this purpose. Already thought about an attenuator. But before I start to think seriously about changing anything, I will try it out much more intensively.

Maybe have some questions later on :).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.