1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Supersonic Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by ruger9, Jul 15, 2008.

1. jakaj

jakaj Tele-Meister

I am interested in one day in the not so distant future joining the super-sonic 22 club - but am reconsidering - help me out: You see I am a tinkerer, I tinker with amps and guitars, doing the eastern-europan thing where we buy cheap and try to fix up - this is typical of us because we already pay more for fenders than US prices on lower salaries - ButI really want an amp that works well - out of the box! I thought Super-sonic 22 would do the trick - but many people seem to tinker with speakers and tube-changes, and attentuators and rectifiers - I have never played a vintage 30 in anything but marshalls - and I only played marshalls because they were there - I am a fender/laney guy, I like cleans and grit, rather tahn "creamy" distortion ... I want a fender sound with some grit (genres: country-blues to just "music")

The made in USA Hot Rod I currently own, almost does it, except for the wrong kind of grit on the drive channel and of course nagging fear of corroded entrails and burned chassis (and weight and extensive loudness) killing it off one day. I am a fan of jensen c12n speakers (never heard webers in real life), like the high treble (presence over half way up usually, with my tele or strat.

So I guess my question is - does anyone like the super-sonic 22 combo as is? Is the super-sonic for me - it is over1000 Euro, which means I would have to sell my HRD and my laney vc15 and my 6-string bass (I would sell my Bugera v22 but it does not fetch as much as it sounds good) - and probably my zoom g9.2 tt pedal... - leaving me with just an amp and guitar - depending on the amp for drive and reverb. - I do not want to start buying modding etc. - What do you experienced wise people think?

2. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Hi jakaj
    I recently sold my HR deluxe (usa made) and bought a SS22 ( usa made) It's a great amp straight out of the box. It has a great clean side, fantastic burn channel and the spring reverb is ample. I'm very happy with it.
    So go for it. I don't feel the need to mod mine. Remember that it's 22 watts, the HRD is 40 watts.

3. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

i havent read this whole thread yet and i dont own a tele yet but joined because this is the most info i've seen on the ss anywhere on the net.

i've got a supersonic 22 on the way and have a question

i hear folks say the clean channel is based off a deluxe reverb then i hear folks talking about switching between baseman/vibrolux clean. which is it?

finished reading the thread and answered my own question.

cant wait for it to get here

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  4. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

gc shipped me the 60 instead of 22. they dont have the 22w in stock in that store for the same price so its 60w ss or no ss....

now i need to get an attenuater or something.

5. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I think the SS 60 is run on a platform closer to vibrolux and bassman....a completely different vibe to the SS 22.

Hope it works for you, what's the GC policy if it doesn't ?
    Seems pretty daft to send you a completely different amp.

6. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

i can return it but that means waiting a week for them to receive the amp then another 3-4 days to get the money back in my acct and then time to find a deal on a 22.

i'd trade it even up for a 22 in a second. i play in a room thats like 12 x 12 and i think the 22 would be just pushing the limits of what my ears could take. the 60 on the other hand i can bately turn the burn channel vol past 2-3 without it being ungodly loud. im sure i could lower the volume with attentuaters and speaker swaps but i really dont want to dump money into an amp that isnt what i want.

sad thing is when i called gc about it they already knew i ordered a 22 and got a 60 and the guy sounded like he thought they were doing me a favor. i got 30days to love it or return it i guess.

i thought about just returnign it and adding some cash to get a new marshall dsl40c and used vox ac15 but this was supposed to be my first fender tube amp that i was relying on to convince me to buy more fender amps lol

i suck at eq'ing amps but i was starting to get into sounds i liked within just a few mins of firing it up. just wish i could take the vol to add more drive. i could probably deal with a tiny bit more vol but my neighbors would hate me. i own my own house but the neighbors on one side are only like 25ft away

7. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

if i were trying to talk myself into keeping the 60 vs returning to get a 22 is there anything i'd be loosing out on by going to the lower wattage?

8. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Best run this by the guys who own a SS 60.
    Have a listen to some YouTube clips,read some reviews, like I said my belief is they are not a deluxe platform.

For years I've foolishly believed bigger ie more watts, is better.
    And in all the time of playing thru twins, music mans , HRdlx, even vox ac30 ...I could never get them up past 3 on the dial.
    A huge waste lugging a large amp around that I only use 20- 30% of.
    Now I use smaller wattage amps, I find a 20 watt amp a joy to play as I'm playing the entire scope of the amp.
    The amp becomes much more of a part of my playing style, dime it. Roll the volume up n down on the guitar, pick hard, pick soft...the dynamics are all there with the lower wattage, whereas on the bigger amps none of this was controllable due to the power.

Keep us posted, I reckon GC stuffed up on this one.

9. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

anyone know the cheapest place to get a new set of tubes? or have an easy way to test each tube? mines doing weird crap and i think i've got atleast one bad tube

i pick up radio stations.
    tone fizzles out sometimes to where it sounds like someone is covering and uncovering amp
    makes a POP sound when turning on and off and sometimes channes
    i tapped a power tube and his completely went away for about a min and a half
    this amp makes a ton of noise when i put any of my pedals in the chain even iff they are tuned off unless i unplug my cheap daisychain style power supply from ebay.
    i notice most of these prblems on the burn channel more than vintage.

10. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

If its a new amp....send it back!
    Sounds like you got a dud.
    I got mine used and it doesn't have any probs like this.
    I find sending a short video of the prob to the store usually gets a prompt response.
    Good luck w it

11. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

it was used. and at a good enough price that as long as tubes dont cost a fortune ill still have gotten a decent deal. with tax and shipping im only in for $628 and it came with cover and footswitch. only a few tiny imperfections around the bottom of the tolex.

could i have screwed something up when putting the tubes in ? they shipped the tubes separate from the amp.

12. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

The 6v6 tubes on mine come in a little cage, mine was used too and packed ok, tubes intact.
    Not sure why they'd pull the tubes out
    Mine Fired up beautifully out of the box.
    If you are not familiar with tubes, take it to your amp guy
    Before doing that just make sure they are seated in their sockets well.
    What brand tubes?

13. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

They say fender with a sort of "GT" logo

14. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Ok, they are the original tubes.

Take it to " your amp guy".

15. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

if only i had an "amp guy" ill call around tomorow. can you give me an idea of what to expect to pay and how long i'd be with out my amp to have someone look at it and replace the tube causing the problem and adjust bias and all that?

16. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Ok then, contact the store you bought it from.
    They sent you the wrong amp to start with right?
    Have you got emails etc stating you ordered the SS22 ?
    If so, tell em your not happy with the ss60 amp and send it back for a refund.
    Don't mention any probs that you've found , just state thanks but its not what I ordered or paid for.

17. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

thats probably what i should do. would be the smart thing but when it was actually working right i really started to like it. and to order another one and have it shipped and all that will cost more than tubes if thats all it is.

something ill definatly consider though. probably what ill have to do if i cant find a reasonably close tech that doesnt want a fortune to fix me up.

18. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

what a morning. so i've got good news and bad news.

first a bit of bad.
    i called everywhere near me and it seemed nobody could do the whole thing themselves. they could replace tubes or they could bias tubes or they flat out had to send it off to begin with.

BAD NEWS
    with the news above i decided to rip out all the tubes and see if i could find anything visually wrong with them.. i didint..... i did find the problem though and you guys will probably never let me live it down.

GOOD NEWS
    after feeling down that i couldnt see a problem and feeling helpless i started putting tubes back in. but when putting the preamp tubes back in one slid in farther than expected... as it turns out was guiding the prongs into the sockets till they went no farther and using the spring in the guard to hold them in place being careful so i didnt break them. well after the first one went in farther than the others i gave em all a push and sure as can be they all slid in alot farther and didnt need the spring to hold them in place, just to protect them.

i plugged in for a few mins so far (been busy) and didnt have any of the old probems. its even quieter now. wondering if it will make less hiss when i plug my pedals back in.

19. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

This is called making sure the tubes are seated correctly mate!
    Well done.
    Hope it works out ok.

20. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

it was my first time e I was afraid I would push too hard and break something

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.