Fender Supersonic 22..looking at one in the few days

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Krackle, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

Thinking of buying one of these used, one in my area..I've heard them online..they seem to be the real deal if you have one that is quiet (seems to be a hum issue with some of them)

Anyhow..any up to this date thoughts on them? Owners that have sold them with regrets?..or glad they did? raves and/or rants?

whatever..thoughts on the Supersonic 22

2. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've never owned really boutique stuff and I've only played through a couple vintage amps for any extended period of time but this is the favorite amp I've owned so far. Its versatile, loud, and can cover a lot of musical ground with or without pedals.

The clean channel sounds just as good as my PRRI and CDR did; I personally like the keep the FAT switch engaged always. The dirty channel the way I have it set sounds really good. I keep the mids and the treble cranked on it. I don't know what to compare it to, but its a vintage-y sound there

Mine's quiet. No hum or hiss. Quieter than my CDR in fact

[​IMG]

3. Watchdogg

Watchdogg TDPRI Member

Stock they are good amps. Had mine 6 years and was happy with it. Always loved the vintage and fat on clean. The drive channel was good on crunch but lacking driven harder. After I blew the stock speaker and replaced it with a celestation g12h55 I decided to upgrade as some of the forum had suggested replacing the GT stock tubes with Tung Sol and rebiased it. Further I had a gifted amp tech customize then voltage to the power section to give a low/high option and alter the drive tone stack and its freaking amazing amp. Thick rich tight over drive that is hard to believe is coming out of 6v6.

I played mine hard and loud no hiss or popping between channels for 6 years no issue. These amps rock hard but have the classic fender vibe and sparkle. Even more so when retubed and rebiased and a speaker of choice added. When dialed in this Fenders best 112 6v6 amp currently offered IMHO

4. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

I bought mine new in early 2016. Upgraded the tubes and swapped out the stock speaker with a GA-SC64. Put kick back legs on it and a couple other tweaks such as shielding the reverb tank and upgrading the tank’s patch cable.

This is the longest I have ever owned an amp in my 52 years of guitar playing so something must be right about it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 8:38 AM
    Tommy Biggs likes this.
  5. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

One of my magic gig memories was a guy playing it’s big brother the SS60 at an outdoor blues festival. The band was more funky than bluesy, had a small horn section and the guitarist was going from spanky clean to screaming mean. Sounded amazing.

6. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Great amp, I replaced mine (I still have it) with a Bad Cat Hot Cat. But the SS22 is fantastic. I put a C-Rex in it, but then I put that speaker in everything lol (it's in my Hot Cat now).

Do find out if the service bulletins from Fender have been performed on it, if not have them done. It addresses some issues some people were having with the reverb.

I also have the 60. I have to sell it- it's just too damn loud!! If I were a traveling musician, playing many different size places, it would be great. But for home and the few bars I play, the 22 is plenty. Plus the 60 is HEAVY. Both great-sounding amps tho. They get a bad rep because of some QC issues on the reverb, but that's fixable-I think the Supersonics are the best amps fender has made in many years.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  7. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I never owned one but have played through them. All I can say is that they are great and versatile amps. No modifications required.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.