1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Supersonic 22 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sposey549, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Max Collins

Max Collins TDPRI Member

I hadn't heard of an fsr until your post. Any other differences besides color and speaker?
    I like the stock speaker in mine btw.

2. Tonegod

Tonegod TDPRI Member

Hi guys, can I join up? I just got a surf green SS22 that's about a year old and I'm in heaven.
    The former owner fixed the pop under warranty and the footswitch is silent.
    I've got a lot of different guitars to try but so far it's great as is.
    I do think it'll get a green jewel pretty soon :D

3. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

The stock speaker is a Jensen, not an Eminence

Assuming your SS22 was anything like mine, out of the box.

4. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

I've been eyeing the specs on this amp, and it looks right up my alley, but I'm more than a little concerned about the QC problems you guys have been having. Sorry, but if I'm spending that much on an amp, I'd like it to work right out of the box. :eek:

Also, how's the Burn channel? Fender doesn't have the greatest rep for high gain, and I dumped my Prosonic really fast after I heard how the distortion channel recorded on a session. Have they improved with the SS?

5. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

The burn channel is excellent for blues and classic rock.

Fender has a fine warranty and customer service. I had to take advantage of it with my SS22, but it was worth it. It's a pretty wonderful amp.

As I have mentioned before, I am not a fan of the stock Jensen speaker and would recommend a Cannabis Rex, which elevates the amp considerably. There seem to be many people who are content with the stock speaker, though. Maybe you'll be one of them.

6. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have not considered changing the speaker in mine. What is the upside to the cannibus Rex?

7. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

It is more efficient, hence, louder at the same settings. It doesn't collapse the way the stock speaker does, which allows you to achieve stageworthy clean levels. The stock speaker in mine would not. The tone is much smoother and a little darker, which works well with the clean channel. Besides, with a name like Cannabis Rex, it has to be cool.

8. ast370

Thanks for the info Harleysr. I guess the clean side could be smoother. I don't mind the stock speaker on clean cause I only use it sparingly. I use the burn channel primarily to get differing drive tones and I don't need louder at the same levels. I need quieter so i can actually push the power tubes as well as the gain stages LOL 22 watts is pretty big for my church venue and at home.

9. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

You're welcome.

Sounds like you may have a good fit with the stock speaker.

Although I had to jump through quite a few hoops to get mine where I needed it to be, the results exceeded my hopes. I could live with it being my only amp, if I needed to.

Have fun with yours.

10. fdecaprio

fdecaprio TDPRI Member

Just got my SS22 and loving the sound and versatility. One issue-I've read all the stuff about the overpowering reverb-I need to turn mine up about halfway before it sounds like much. Should I get it checked?

11. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

No. Count your blessings. Most of us can't go beyond 2 without feeling like Dick Dale. Not my goal.

12. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Hi everyone, I played through a SS22 for the first time the other day and I loved it, I tried a SS60 when they came out and for whatever reason didn't bond with it but the 22 is great, the perfect replacement for my Blackface/Vox A/B/Y setup, which is getting to be to much to carry me.
    I want the head version, at 27 lbs that would be a lot easier on a guy w/ back issues paired with a 1x15 Showman cab.
    Any advise on picking up a used head? Any bad ones out there?

13. tferrell

tferrell TDPRI Member

Help with SS 22 tone control

Hi guys, first time posting on here. I got an SS 22 a couple of weeks ago. Was intrigued by the versatility of having the dual gain controls on the burn channel. But while I really like the clean drive, I'm not digging the burn channel. I play mostly alt-country through a Nash T-52, occasionally a Strat, and am basically just looking for a little dirt without losing too much warmth. I've got the gain 2 cranked up and the 1 way down, and the tone is still hurting my ears. Too much roar, not enough crunch. Any suggestions (for a gear dummy. please keep remedial)? Thanks, T

14. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

There's a handy little placard on the top of the amp that provides settings for numerous tones. That should give you a good sense of how the gain controls interact.

For the type of tone you are specifying, you'll tend to keep the Volume higher, Gain 1 & 2 down, with Gain 2 considerably lower than Gain 1.

15. ast370

I agree with harleysr. I can get a lighter drive sound from my tele with the gains on 3 and the volume up a bit more. The single notes or lead lines are fairly crisp and the chords have a nice OD sound

16. tferrell

tferrell TDPRI Member

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I tried those recommended settings. Texas blues was closest to what I was looking for, but still a little harsh for my ears. I'll play around w/ the volume cranked. One last question: harleysr, you recommend gain 2 lower than gain 1. Doesn't gain 2 bring the compression that's going to make it a little warmer/crunchier and take the bite out of the attack? Thanks, y'all.

17. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

I don't like any real compression in my overdriven tone. My preference is for a full dynamic, with a natural transient response.

18. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

I have an old tweed 410 cab in the studio that is loaded with a pair of Jensen 8" ceramics up top (stereo) and a pair of Eminence Legend 1058 10" (series) on the bottom.

For grins, I ran my SS22 into the 10s, bypassing the internal C Rex 12". Wow! It provided quite a bit of the wonderful, clean low end you get with Deville or Bassman 410 rigs. Although I prefer the C Rex for the dirtier tones, the 210 array is going to be getting some regular use with the clean channel.

I miss the old Deville 410, which I gave to my son. Having the option to bring some of that 10" goodness back to the palette is a nice plus.

If you have a 2 or 410 option available, I'd highly recommend trying it.

19. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Just ordered a new 22 combo in blonde. I had owned the original 60W amp, and thought it was really good- especially with the V30 speaker it came with, but it was just too loud when using the vintage channel for any amount of breakup. Hoping the 22W is more ear-friendly... and I'm wondering if the stock speaker is up to snuff (imo Fender puts notoriously bad speakers in some of their amps), or if I'll have to upgrade...

20. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I like the stock speaker in the SS22. There was a guy on TGP recently who says it needs an upgrade - but he swapped it on day one. My speaker is broken in. I've never even tried it though my old Marshall cab (whichmakes everything sound good) I just never needed to

I'm not gigging the 22, still using a Genz Benz Black Pearl 30, or a JCM800 - BUT I did loan it to our other guitarist for a couple for small shows, and I thought it sounded real good from the other side of the stage. He liked it too.

I am using the 'burn' channel - with the gains set around 3, as a Fender breakup tone with a Tele. I like it, it's the amp I plug into at home more often than not. I put it up on a low chair, not down by my feet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.