Fender Supersonic 22 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sposey549, Jul 25, 2011.

1. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

2. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

i doubt it will, but maybe don't sniff your amp to often...

3. mc_deli

mc_deli TDPRI Member

Sadly - and I am not the first - and surely not the last - I think I am going to be leaving the SS22 owners club.

I have had it a few weeks now and used it in the bedroom and the studio and I can't escape that it is wrong!

The reverb feedback comes and goes when reverb is up really high. The reverb hums loads above 3 even when it is switched off. The footswitch pops (I know there is a fix). And the general hiss... it is too distracting at bedroom levels, serious to contend with for recording, and, what gets me is that against all the Fender combos we have (new EC, Twin, Super60, Vibrochamp) it is just way, way, way noisier.

I love the sound but something is very, very, very wrong. So it has to go back.

I am happy to pay extra for the SS60... but I start reading the reviews... is it really true that the SS60, SS100, SSTwin and SS22 all have the same reverb problems and hiss...?

4. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Adios Amigo,

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

5. ac15er

ac15er TDPRI Member

This MDF sticker got me thinking, to put that sticker there must indicate that there is an MDF component somewhere.

I had a good poke around, the baffle, top and sides are definately ply, you can see the grain through the black paint, even the frame with the cloth on the front is ply.

The two vertical cleats to hold the back panels is real timber tolex covered except for the open end up near the amp electrics, you can see the end grain so it's timber.

That leaves the two back panels, these are the ONLY two components in the whole amp that are completely covered in tolex which makes me think these are MDF.

6. markJcaster

markJcaster TDPRI Member

Well you can count me in as a new member of the Supersonic22 club. I picked up a blonde one a week ago and I have to say it's a darn nice amp. At first it seemed a little noisy but I noticed when I let it warm up for a while the noise went away and it's pretty quiet. I think it's really sensitive to AC feedback so a Hum X may be a good supplement. I realize I've got to put some time into the speaker break-in but just to see I plugged it into an old Seymour Duncan 4x12 cab I have with well broken in speakers and let me tell you that sounded really, really good. I am a little nervous about the reliability issues but this amp is just so sweet. I have a Kustom Coupe '72 (for sale) an AC15c1 and a Carvin Nomad and this amp is the most versatile of the lot. I hope it hangs in there for the long haul.

7. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

Gratz on your buy! I love my blonde 22... And I have a power conditioner on mine all the time. It does help with noise for some reason.

8. markJcaster

markJcaster TDPRI Member

Thanks AST370. I've putting in some time on it and for some reason it seem to be getting quieter sounding and the speaker is smoothing out more. Between that and learning how to adjust to my tastes, it just gets better and better sounding. I could almost see this being my one and only amp. I'll probably get a power conditioner anyway because I'm sure I'll be using it in spots where that'll will be necessary. But I'm really happy.

9. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

After 2 years of experimenting, I took it back on stage

I was not satisfied with my SS22 when I bought it. Hated the way the speaker just collapsed and found the Deluxe channel too harsh.

After trying 9 different speakers, I found love with the Cannabis Rex: pleasantly neutral and smooth, to my ear.

I did a ton of tube swapping, ending up with NOS RCAs in V1 and OP tubes, along with some other substitutions elsewhere.

The last change was to permanently install a Line 6 Tap Tremolo and Tube Pre (for makeup gain) with power supply in the cabinet. It's wired into the FX loop and controlled by the footswitch.

The amp now sounds like the loveliest old Deluxe (on steroids), with a very nice gain channel. FWIW, I had a 92 DRRI that I had put just as much work into and used to own an original 65 DR. After I brought the SS22 into line, I sold the DRRI. No contest.

So, tonight, I took it on stage for the first time in 2 years. It worked flawlessly. The Deluxe tone was full, rich and smooth- I really like the cleans. The Fat switch was a nice bump when I wanted a little extra punch and the Gain channel (with its own volume control) provided the perfect tone/boost for solos. The reverb, which is set to somewhere around 1.5, sounds fine.

The response to my left hand was very different than my other rigs. There's a basic response that is fairly normal, but the transient response, when I hit it, is very pronounced. I had to watch that, as it could be quite dramatic. Touchy and startling are words that come to mind. We'll see how that plays out as the amp/speaker break in.

All of the tones were beautiful and usable, though. I took along a custom Strat with Lollars and Duncans, a Tele Thinline with SD Broadcasters and a highly modified Marauder. The differences in the guitars were quite apparent, most notably on the Thinline.

The tremolo circuit is a complete gas, adding texture and dimension. When there is dirt in the signal, it pumps nicely, like a greasy Tremolux. It exceeded my expectations.

10. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

Wow that's a lot of work... I am glad it worked out for you. Can you do a sound sample??

11. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

I have been using my modded SS22 for the last few nights. As the new speaker and tube break in, I am nothing short of stunned by the tone I am getting from the amp. It's not going unnoticed by other musicians, either.

The cleans are rich and full, so unlike what I got from my DRRI. It's addictive. So much more like a vintage 65 Deluxe. I am finding the Fat switch very useful and the OD is wonderfully creamy, but coherent. Nothing fizzy about this amp. I am thrilled.

Sorry to wax on about this, but I want to pass along that the SS22 can be so much more than what it delivers, stock. The Cannabis and NOS RCAs have taken it into exceptional territory. Better than I had dared hope for, to be honest.

Between the onboard reverb and the tremolo I built into the FX loop, I've found myself very comfortable on stage with just a guitar, a cable and an amp. Much less involved than the stereo half-stacks I usually go on with.

I will post some samples soon.

12. Toadhopper57

Toadhopper57 Tele-Meister

Hello,

I have a 22 head and will have to try the Cannabis Rex since I have on for sale on CL

Cheers,

R

13. telecast57

telecast57 NEW MEMBER!

I currently own one of the undependable beast!. When I got it, the chassis was completeley microphonic. Plug in, even on standby , and you hear microphonics. It sounded ok with the exception of alot of hiss and popping when switching channels. I was in the studio and it started a low squeel, turned the reverb down and it stopped. Finished the session without reverb. Changed 12at7 at home, worked fine. turned it off and later back on and let it warm up. Hit the standby switch and it blows 2amp fuse- 4 times. Called Fender and it is scheduled to be repaired Aug 1st when i take it to Nashville. I have heard alot of bad stories about the ss22. I love the sound of the 1st channel, you could throw away the 2nd drive channel, useless! The little amp sounds good but lacks the low end it needs. They should look back to the Deluxe layout and fix that. As soon as I get it repaired it goes to the closest music store for a trade. Fender quality control has gotten out of control. Can some one tell me the amp I need for my 63 tele that will do clubs and studio? I dont need distortion channel, just clean and punchy, I have effects chain that does all that for me. I was thinking of maybe a Fender Blues Jr III? Any thoughts?

14. ac15er

ac15er TDPRI Member

You want a BJIII over the SS22??

Why don't you wait till it's fixed then try again.

15. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

I thought the purpose of the ss22 was the burn channel ;) if you don't want the drive just buy a Princeton or d Lux reverb... But the 22 is a great amp for punchy

16. guitarnorm

guitarnorm TDPRI Member

Speaker Swap

Hi,
    I've had my Supersonic 22 for about 3 months. I loved the "idea" of it, and got a really good deal on a used one, but after taking it to a couple of gigs I reverted back to my Deluxe Reverb Reissues (with Texas Heat speakers) since there was something about the 22 I didn't quite get. The family has been on vacation this week, so I've had some time to experiment...I played it with different guitars (Strats, Deluxe Strats, PRS, Les Paul, Heritage H-535) and found there was a harshness to the mids/highs that I couldn't dial out. I'd already swapped tubes to Tung Sols which helped from stock. I didn't have another Texas Heat to try, but I had a Mesa Black Shadow (Celestion C-90) that was left when I swapped a Mesa Lonestar from a 1x12 to a 2x12. What I didn't like about the Lonestar was a heavy mid quality I couldn't dial out. That's just what the SS22 needed, though! It's rocking every guitar I own! Glad the family's away today, cuz I'm cranking it!!!!

17. aj709

aj709 TDPRI Member

Hi i m a new owner of the blonde SS22. My clean channel is louder than my gain channel?? I have never seen this before on other amps I v owned. Usually when you kick in the gain side it has a bump up because that side is driven. I m bringing into my amp tech for him to have a look.I replaced the 12ax7's with JJs and it improved a little. I was thinking of replacing the speaker too. Anybody try a wizzard, or a govnor or Red white and blues.

18. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

I can relate

I had previously owned 2 of the SS60 watt amps and loved them. Like you, I loved the concept of a lower wattage, lighter Supersonic. I snapped up a 22 as soon as they became available. Took it on stage the day I got it, which was a disaster. The speaker would not deliver a clean tone at stage volume and the clean channel was rather harsh.

Mine sat around for 2 years, with me occasionally trying a different speaker or tube. After 9 different speakers, I nailed it with a Cannabis Rex. I have some NOS RCAs throughout and now love the amp.

As far as I am concerned, the stock amp was unusable. The good news is that the work required to get it where I needed it to be was relatively inexpensive and required no circuit board level mods. Fundamentally, they are great amps.

19. Max Collins

Max Collins TDPRI Member

Love my supersonic 22! It has me getting ready to sell several more expensive amps. It has gorgeous full cleans and perfect for single coils drive. A lot of channel switchers sound good with humbuckers but just don't sound right with singles. My supersonic sounds great with both. The switch does make a little noise but it's a tiny price for such killer tone. Great Great Amp!!:D

20. GTRANIMAL

GTRANIMAL TDPRI Member

Have You tried the SS 22 Limited FSR version. It uses a Celestion G-12. Sounds a lot different than the SS 22 with the Eminance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.