Fender Supersonic 22 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sposey549, Jul 25, 2011.

1. winterland1973

winterland1973 TDPRI Member

PS- Has anyone here tried running 6L6s or EL34 tubes in the SS? Is it possible?

2. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I was in the club. I’ve owned both the 22 watt head and combo, and also the 60 watt head. Great amps, I’ve just moved on to single channel amps.

3. Watchdogg

Watchdogg TDPRI Member

6 years into the SS 22 club. Just got mine back from the shop. Fresh celestation g12h55 tungsol tubes. Also tech installed a high low power selector in preamp as well as rework gain stages tone stack. A great amp even better!

4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Just joined, I've been looking at these for over 3 years, a blonde finally popped up on CL for the right price. Pretty darn nice amp, as expected. I was all set to swap speakers, but its Lightening Bolt 12 is pretty versatile as-is, and plenty loud next to my regular gigging amp. I'll attribute the extra low end to the cab, in comparison to a narrow panel deluxe cab. I'm still learning, tweaking, exploring. Trying to get comfortable enough to gig it this weekend.

ruger9 and Coloradotwanger like this.
  5. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister

Welcome!Keep us posted on your likes and dislikes.I have been looking at these amps for years also.I want a blonde head.

6. jayhaknavy02

jayhaknavy02 TDPRI Member

I’m swapping my speaker with a WGS Reaper. Otherwise great amp!

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  7. Musekatcher

Spent some time swapping amps with the Lightening Bolt, and swapping speakers with the SS22. What a great amp.

First, the burn channel is hard for me to dial in for a plexi, or JCM800 kind of drive with chords. The white noise staticy icepicky thing is there and hard to eliminate. I think its built into that channels' voice. I'm sure this channel is superb for a certain tone concept, different for what I want. The best thing I discovered about this channel is that it really sings with sustain and sizzle, which is highly attractive, for the right voice and tone. I found lead work was very flattering no matter how its set. But when you move to chords and dyads, the scratchy comes back. So the challenge was to get some nice smooth Marshally drive, for rhythm work.

The LB is not as loud as my Jupiter 12LC, but surprisingly similar. Its a decent speaker, just a couple db's softer, and maybe has a little more low end response. The 12LC did improve the mids, and was better with a JCM-ish tone, but not transformative. I suppose its obvious, but a Celestion may do a better job of that task. That will have to wait, I don't keep Celestions or British style speakers. Its really nice to know, I can easily up the output with a more efficient speaker swap. Not sure I need that yet.

The clean channel needs nothing. Its about as Fender as any amp I've ever played. Its gorgeous as-is. I suspect, that's the achilles heel for the burn channel: to get all that chime and sparkle, represents a concession for the burn channel and the shared circuits/speaker. But still, I think "better" is the enemy of "good" in this case. Once I dialed in the burn channel to the closest Marshall I could, I bounced back and forth with the clean channel, and was really pleased. I did this with both speakers. I'll probably gig it stock with the LB for now, see how it works in a band setting.

I'm not done. ( are we ever?) The vintage/clean channel is so Fendery, I do think a suitable speaker can improve the burn channel, and not loose the essential character of the vintage channel. Not sure where to go next. I watched some shootouts on youtube, but they didn't reveal what I need, or had a different tone concept in mind.

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  8. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

re: high end on the drive channel:

It really is dependent on where you are running the master volume. If it's home/bedroom levels, the MV will be set quite low, and you will be able to turn the treble up.

But at louder rehearsal/gig levels (I ran the MV about 4.5-5 for this), I had to run the treble at 0, maybe 1. But any more than that was too ice-picky. I was ok with this, because the amp sounded GREAT, which is all that matters. I have no problem running any control at 10 or 0 if I'm getting the tone I want.

9. Musekatcher

I thought I sensed that. I'm running the MV at 4 right now, pretty darn loud for the house. Treble's at 3, hope 1 or 0 is enough at gig levels. We will see.

10. Musekatcher

Here's my question first: previous owner retubed with JJs. Would it be softer, less bright, less aggressive with the original Groove Tubes?

I know folks like the JJs, but this thing is darn loud and buh-right, especially with a more efficient speaker, and I'm wondering if I'm getting more edge and bite than I want due to the tubes? If not, I'm good with it as is. I'm superstitious about amps being in proper OEM condition before I start the mods. I didn't know it had been retubed till after I bought it.

I had a pedal failure recently, at its first gig, and was able to limp thru with a straight jack. That would have been hard with my one channel main amp. It performed ok, but I was bummed to not have my pedal setup I worked up especially for this amp.

But I had a practice also since, with my now-fixed dedicated tweaked pedal setup for this amp, and it sounded very nice with the band. My final eq on the amp is pretty extreme, very unintuitive. And its vital, to tweak your eq at gig volume. EQ changes significantly, with a change in the volume just like ruger9 said. In otherwords, the volume isn't scalable.

I swapped a bunch of speakers, to get better balance, more mids, and less bright, but my speaker selection is limited. I've dialed both in for my setup, and was really pleased with both channels, pushing the burn towards a recognizable Marshall, and the vintage channel more towards a tweedy BF. I'll try a greenback soon.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  11. ruger9

The tubes won't change anything. It's a loud, bright amp, as you said. I love the amp, and I HATE "bright". But... As I have said, I ran the treble very low. Also keep in mind: alot of brightness comes off the mids control ... If I remember correctly, I ran the treble at 1-2 (off if necessary), and the mids I ran at noon or lower? It's been a while. Also, as I said- IMO this amp was designed for the MV to not be run above 5, because above 5 all hell breaks loose with the brightness. At that volume, it's already LOUD, so if you needed to run it higher than that for more volume, you should get a Supersonic 60. You think the 22 is loud....

As to the speaker- I did replace the Lightning Bolt with a C-rex. But then, a couple years later, I got another amp, put the C-rex in that amp and put the LB back in the SS22... honestly, I didn't notice hardly any difference. The LB is a very good speaker. If you wanted to try to make the amp darker, you could try a darker speaker, like a Eminence Red White and Blues, or maybe the Swamp Thang. But again, this amp is made to run at parameters where it sounds good, and I think most complaints of it being "too bright" come from people trying to run it louder than it was really designed to be used, and/or putting the tone controls where they are used to putting them on other amps (like Deluxe Reverbs)- it's not the same thing. The MV changes the whole response of the amp. If you keep the MV lower, you CAN open up the tone controls. But if you like or the need the volume at 4-5, you're going to have to dial the mids down and the treble WAY down.

Archtop Bill and Tommy Biggs like this.
  12. Musekatcher

OK, good to know on the tubes. That's what I wanted to hear, so I can avoid the rabbit trail of tube science project. I am running the treble very low, in the 1 to 1.5 range for a gig level MV, and there is definitely interaction with the mid and the bass. And, there is a max MV setting where it goes full on raspy just like you say, for a given TMB setting.

With a LOUD band, I had plenty of power at the gig, never had to test that threshold. I agree, the LB speaker isn't bad at all, pretty good actually, I'll estimate the efficiency is around 98 dB. I'll do some more speaker swapping as a point of curiosity, for gigs. I can never leave well enough alone..

I almost went for the 60 based on comparisons tests and feedback, but I didn't have a 6V6 platform (got a half dozen 6L6 amps), and I wanted a lower powered amp, to help regulate the rest of the band, "if you can't hear the lead, you're too loud, back the hell off" lol. This amp, may well be perfect for that, and truly, the differentiation in the two channels is uh-mazing now that I've tamed the rasp, and with the aid of a good pedal setup. For a cover project, it pretty much functions as a Fender/Marshall switcher, perfect for a mostly-clean kinda guy like me, that needs a convincing Marshall patch about 15% of the time.

ruger9 likes this.
  13. ruger9

Yup. That's exactly what it is. I ended up replacing it with a Bad Cat Hot Cat (not due to a deficieny in the Fender, a Bad Cat was a bucket list item for me), I still have the SS22 tho, in storage. I will probably end up selling it, just because the Hot Cat does the same thing, and I like it a little better. It's clean isn't as high-headroom as the Fender, but the lead channel is a little fatter than the Fender. Basically 2 slightly different flavors of the same thing.

Also, where you are a "lead channel 15% of the time" kinda guy, I'm a "clean channel 15% of the time" kinda guy, at least where the cover band is concerned.

14. exactopposite

exactopposite Tele-Meister

I'm joining the club. My Super Sonic 22 should be delivered today. Got it used from GC. I called the store to see what kind of shape it was in and the guy said it looked like brand new. We'll see how this goes.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  15. exactopposite

I got the amp today and *drumroll* it was a Super Sonic 60 that had been labeled incorrectly by GC. I was able to work it out with them to return it to a local store and have them send me an actual Super Sonic 22 at no additional charge. Originally I bought it because it was listed in "Very Good" condition for only $600. I didn't want to pay more because of their mistake. With some patience they got it all sorted. The one that is on the way now is listed as a 2019 model listed in 'Great" condition, so it should be practically brand new. It seems like a steal at that price especially with the GC return policy. Hopefully it has no issues and it'll be here to stay.

16. ruger9

$600 is a good price, imo, and what they seem to go for generally, when in very good shape. I bought my SS22 new with a 20% off coupon, but my SS60 I got used for $600, in excellent (but not mint) condition.

17. exactopposite

I wanted to buy new in since people reported issues with the early SS22, but getting a 2019 for $600 with the GC return policy was great. Also I sold my trusty Mesa Boogie F30 for $600, so this worked out just right.

18. exactopposite

OK the SS 22 has landed. I'm working from home but I took about 5 min to try it out just to make sure it's working properly. It sounds great! There is no hiss, and no pop switching channels.

It's missing the cable for the foot switch which is annoying. I called GC and they aren't willing to send me one. I found one for about $25 so it's not a big deal.

Also the previous owner replaced all the preamp tubes with Genalex which are pricey tubes. I can't wait to really spend some time with it. I have a few speakers around to try in it if the stock speaker doesn't cut it for me.

19. Cam72

Cam72 NEW MEMBER!

Hi everyone,

I’ve joined the SuperSonic 22 club, having purchased a 2010 model and I’ve had it for about 3 months. I love the tone of this amp but unfortunately my first post to you is because I’m after some help on an issue and after info from someone who may have experienced and had a resolution to a similar.

Issue / Fault:
    On the vintage (clean) channel; with reverb turned off and the “fat” switch / option turned off, the amp has a reasonably loud noise or hum. It is similar in noise to the usual low idle noise you get on normal tube amps but it is notably load. It also increases as I dial up the volume. At times, on turning on the amp and after waiting on standby for the usual time it can be quiet (normal) for about 30 secs but it inevitably comes back. No change to the noise when I turn reverb on.

When I switch to the “fat” mode on the same channel, the noise is gone and it plays amazingly. Turn on reverb and all is fine as well, on the vintage channel with “fat” turned on, the tone of this amp is amazing and worth keeping the amp for this alone.

When I switch to the “Burn” (overdrive) channel, it’s also perfect either with or without reverb. In terms of floor noise on this amp, the Burn/Overdrive channel is actually the quietest at lower gain settings and only hums a bit when the gain turned up on both dials to 10 which you’d accept a bit of noise from an overdrive channel when dialed up.

I’ve had an amp technician try to diagnose this and it left us both scratching our heads as he tried the following to isolate the fault:
    - checked all connections and eliminated all external variables like cables, foot switch etc and just had the unit stripped out on the bench and plugged into a test speaker
    - worked through testing all tubes (which are fairly new anyway), no tube issue
    - using the amp schematic, checked some of the electrical components in areas of the circuit that would be suspect for the noise with a multi meter but nothing seemed a fault

Admittedly I’m not an amp expert and the amp tech (who is a genius by the way) hasn’t seen a lot of Super-Sonics so we were a bit stumped without pulling out our hair and tracing every single component in the circuit.

So I’m just after some advice or info from someone who’s experienced something similar.

Let me know what you know.

20. ruger9

Was your tech "Fender Authorized"? So that he had access to the service manual/schematics? Other than that, I can't help... I hope you get it figured out, because they are great amps! Even tho I replaced mine with a Bad Cat Hot Cat, I still have the SS22 out in the garage... I won't sell it, in the end, I might sell the Bad Cat. The Supersonic is THAT good.

Archtop Bill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.