1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Supersonic 22 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sposey549, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Do we have a Supersonic 60 club? I just got a newer one (not the original design with the "Star Trek logo", but the newer one that was released along with the 22, 100, and Twin.)

The 22 is awesome, I love it. But in my band, I need just a little more headroom, mostly so I can boost solos: because the other guitar just plays too loud, and he controls his volume with a volume pedal, and he never returns it to the same place. A PITA. And sometimes the 22 just couldn't quite keep up. So I got a deal on a used 60.

It's everything I needed. Sounds VERY much like the 22, even tho it has a V30 in it. The bass is bigger and tighter (6L6s), and there's plenty of headroom for boosting solos... actually, it's effects loop works PERFECTLY for that- I just put a short patch cord in the send and return jacks, and turn up the send and return levels a little. Voila! Instant solo boost! And works SO much better than anything else I have tried in the loop (ODs, clean boosts, EQs....) It's perfect.

So I now have a 22 and a 60. And for gigs, I'll use the 22 and an extension speaker cab for a 2x12 configuration. A V30 and a Cannabis Rex.

2. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like I am now in this club. Picked this up in a trade deal. I’m guessing that it is a 2011 or 2012 model. The only date code clue was 2011 on the Reverb tank. The inspection sticker just has the initials “DL” on it.

It’s a good looking amp and the perfect size and wattage.

The amp is pretty much mint but it has two miss matched power tubes inside that appear to be biased cold. I’m sure that tone will improve once it is working properly.

I am not sure how long that I will keep it, but get it serviced with new power tubes, biased, and maybe do some speaker swapping if needed before deciding whether to let it go.

B0856B32-9D73-432B-B618-E03076C864FE.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Archtop Bill likes this.
  3. jerk64

jerk64 TDPRI Member

Folks, give me your advice! A speaker upgrade for my SS22:

ET65?
    Texas Heat?
    JENSEN C12K?

Post your opinions, thanks!

4. ruger9

What tonal characteristics are you looking for as compared to the Fender Lightning Bolt? (more low end? more high end? Warmer? brighter? )

I actually think the Lightning Bolt is a fine speaker; one of the better Fender OEM speakers over the years.

5. jerk64

jerk64 TDPRI Member

I play rock blues and Rolling Stones songs, clean setting with od pedals. Thinking a louder speaker

6. ruger9

In that case, I recommend the Cannabis Rex. IDK what the efficiency/sensitivity rating of the Lightning Bolt is (the efficiency/sensitivity rating will tell you how loud it is), but the C-Rex was definitely louder than the Lightning Bolt, and frankly... sounds similar. I know the C-Rex is a hemp cone and the Lightning Bolt isn't, but the Lightning Bolt isn't a Jensen-style speaker like Fender puts in most of their amps, because that wouldn't work well with the Burn channel gain. It's a more middy speaker, something more like a V30 or something, so it sounds better with the Marshally Burn channel.

When I replaced my brand new Lightning Bolt (I replaced the speaker immediately; it wasn't even broken in yet) with a C-Rex, I noticed immediately that it was louder, while still sounding similar to the Lightning Bolt... still a little warmer than the Lightning Bolt, but it was pretty close. 101.8db is pretty loud for a guitar speaker (C-Rex)

Altho I will say, I think the Lightning Bolt is fine for the music you mentioned. I get Stones tones on the Burn channel tho... just crank up that MV until the amp starts to really open up (about 4.5-5), then leave Gain 2 at zero and turn Gain1 up to about 3... with my tele, this does that Stones thing really well. But the key is the MV... it's got to be that loud for it not to sound congested or compressed.

Also, FWIW, I haven't had great luck with ODs on the Clean channel- unless I was using the FAT setting. Fat + my Rockett Blue Note = good Stones type tones.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  7. jerk64

jerk64 TDPRI Member

In your opinion the SS22 is loud enough for small and medium venues? .. Thinking a band with drum, bass, and three guitars. We play classic rock and blues rock

8. jerk64

jerk64 TDPRI Member

Or a MESA Caliber 50 plus would be a better choice?..

9. ruger9

Well, if amps are being mic'ed, yes. If they are NOT, I honestly don't know. I have a 22, and had reached the volume limit with it rehearsing with my band (2 guitars). It was loud enough, but if I ever needed to be louder, I was in trouble. So I bought an SS60 just in case. It's plenty loud enough.

Haven't done any gigs yet (we are just booking now), so sorry I couldn't be more helpful than that. But I figured, I'll get a 60 (used, because they are discontinued), and then the other amp (22) can be a back-up as well as an extension speaker cab (or vice-versa)

10. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

Cannibas Rex is great speaker, but I really prefer the GA SC64. Handles the burn channel handily and makes the vintage channel sound like a well maintained BF Deluxe Reverb.

Putting a 5751 in V1 suits my tastes, but YMMV.

11. MusicCityGrooves

MusicCityGrooves TDPRI Member

Mine has a CRex in it, which is marginally louder than the stock Lightning Bolt. I've played small and medium venues unmic'ed with mine, and large outdoor ones mic'ed. The SS22 has been easily loud enough for those gigs.

But, I haven't gigged with another guitarist, only as a trio or with keys or sax. I have no idea how it would hang with other guitars.

12. ruger9

I'm in a 2-guitar band (classic rock primarily), and I can report than the SS22 BARELY makes it in a rehearsal room ... a bout 20 x 20, with some acoustic absorption material on the walls. I turn it up to 5 and it keeps up, but if I ever needed to go louder or boost solos, there's no way. At 5 mine runs out of volume and just starts getting brighter and crappier. LOVE it at about 4.5 on the MV.

The SS60 absolutely solved this issue, has tighter low end, and the V30 sounds great in it, BUT a single V30 has a hard time with the wattage imo- mine was ripped at the surround. Replaced it with a Red White and Blues and all is well. I'd like to try a Governor, as it is Eminence's take on the V30, but can handle more wattage.

In a 1-guitar band, blues band, or anything other than loud rock/metal, the SS22 may do just fine.

13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

The 22 should be loud enough, but if its not, you could re-speaker and get 60 volume. But I'm with you, having both is good.

14. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Wow.Sounds like y'all need to turn down.

ruger9 likes this.
  15. ruger9

I've already got a CREX in the 22. Not going to get much louder.

Sometimes I think small enclosed spaces makes it harder (you need more volume) because everything is smashing together.... unlike setting up at a gig, where everything than be directionalized. Our drummer even plays behind plexi baffles in that room, and the 22 can still barel keep up. Fine for rehearsals, but I was worried I'd get into a club and not have the volume/headroom I needed, either for the larger space or to compete with the other guitar player, who plays a 50W 4x10 (sometimes two, which is ridiculous.) With the 22 and the 60, I can stack them, and use the 22 as a speaker enclosure, in essence giving me 60W 2x12, and if that's not loud enough, then it's too damned loud.

16. ruger9

Can't disagree with that, BUT- as I said above, sometimes I think small rooms make it harder to hear everyone, all the frequencies are swirling around and slamming into each other, can turn into a big mess, fast. When the other guitar player plays keys (which he does on a number of songs), the entire mix is better in there.... the 2-guitar thing can be problematic. (and not just in this band, but in other bands I've been in as well).

Micing to PA is a whole other story. Being able to control individual as well as overall stage volume is a huge help... when the only way I can hear the other guitar, or the bass, is out of their amps, things can get out of hand kind of quick. At least with the loud rock we play.

In my old band we solved this issue by having each guitarist on their side of the stage, and pointing our cabs IN towards the band, not out towards the crowd. They were miced thru PA tho.... we could turn down, yet still hear each other since we were pointed AT each other.

For rehearsals, we only mic vocals. And from what I've been told, some bars still do things that way, the smaller places anyway. So I need to be sure I can be loud enough in that situation, with a full crowd on the dance floor. Hence the 60W.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Correct, a practice out of control will fool you into cranking it well beyond gig levels. One practice was getting ridiculous loud, when the loud guy proudly proclaimed, "Dudes! I've got my 200W rig maxed out! Groovy!". Short lived band after that.

Which reinforces, a 22 with an efficient speaker should be plenty for a loud gig with a loud drummer. After a gig, I make sure I don't touch the controls. The next day, I plug stuff up and run it just like it was in the last (loudest) set. Very eye opening.

brbadg likes this.
  18. ruger9

I do that too... but the only way it works is if the other guitar player isn't ADHD and does it ALSO. He's an old friend, old bandmate, but I have to think he's lost some hearing or something. And when you ask him to turn down, and other band people instead ask YOU to turn up, well I just want to make sure I have "the goods". I do NOT want to play "too loud", but I'm also not quitting a band over such a thing... we are all friends, playing for FUN (not money... I mean, we get paid, but no one needs the money), and while we are very good at dealing with this stuff, sometimes you just have to make sure you can deliver, if necessary. Again- hence 60W.

Bonus: I now not only have 60W if required, but have a built-in solo boost with the SS60's tube-driven effects loop, and the headroom to handle the volume boost (which the 22 is right on the borderline of not having). PLUS, now I have 2x12 instead of 1x12, better coverage, also enabling better volume control. PLUS since it'a not one amp or one amp & one extension cab... it's TWO amps, I always have a backup. It's the perfect solution.

19. Airguitar

Airguitar Tele-Meister

I just picked up one of these amps at a good price and it happens to be in the limited run Black/Gold livery.
    I am sure it's hardly been played and the sound will mature as the speaker is broken in.
    The normal channel is very much like my 71 Deluxe Reverb but still is tighter. However on stage with the band playing it's not enough difference to put me off.
    I have yet to turn up the "burn" channel so I will reserve comment until I know more. The bit that I've tested it seems pretty versatile.
    I love the pedal!
    It sure is a good looking and sounding amp.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Huj3A7sBYDDwLdBs6

ruger9 likes this.
  20. winterland1973

winterland1973 TDPRI Member

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum...I've had an SS22 for about 2 years now- but I just ran across this thread. Thanks for all the information! I'm slowly making my way thru it.

Just sharing my experience with my SS22; I bought the amp as a practice and back-up rig- I chose it without spending a lot of time with it because I liked the versatility of the two diff channels, but honestly I had no intention of doing anything with it besides bringing it along in my car when I am on tour, in case my main rig breaks down.
    I ended up needing to use it for a couple of bigger shows this past summer- while my main rig was getting serviced. At show number 1, I was not crazy about the sound. The highs were very brittle and unpleasant to my taste (I play pure and clean generally- with a Tele or Strat style axe). But it did the job. So prior to gig #2 I put an old JBL D-123 16ohm speaker in it. These speakers were built for home stereos- not guitar amps, but I read an interview with Harvey Gerst, who designed the D120F and the like for JBL back in the 60s and 70s, in which he stated the D123 was his favorite of the JBL speakers for lower wattage guitar amps. They say 16ohm but he said that was more of a labelling gimmick to differentiate them as home stereo speakers- but they act like an 8ohm.

Long post, sorry- but once I put that in there and got rid of the Groove Tubes in favor of some JJs and Sovteks- this amp is now one of my favorites, and I gig with it all of the time. The highs are now sweet and glassy, the bottom end in well defined (for a DR style circuit) and it's musical as hell. Less hissy too, but still a bit so.
    It still sounds damned good on the burn channell too, though with the aluminum cap, I roll the highs off a bit more when going with a lot of gain.

So my advice- you can find those D123s online WAY cheaper than a classic 120 series JBL- like 100-150 bucks- and it will transform the amp.

Take care- stay healthy- and enjoy a once in a lifetime pass to play guitar all day, everyday.

Coloradotwanger and ArthurDent like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.