Fender Supersonic 22 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sposey549, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've been shopping for a new amp for a while now and kept coming back to the 68 CDR until I remembered this. Now, after reading and watching demos for a couple days I think this might be the amp for me.

I was set on the Deluxe because of the reverb and trem, but that's really redundant since I already have a Boss TR2, a RI Fender Outboard Reverb, and a Surfy Bear Kit (haven't put it together yet but whatevs). If I got the Deluxe all that would be redundant and I'd still need to buy some dirt pedals because playing cranked all the time just isn't an option. With the SS 22 I get 2 kinds of drive/dirt and an SS rectifier which actually sounds better for the surf cleans I also like

That, combined with the blonde option means I'll be buying here next week

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  2. markod

markod Tele-Meister

Hey all. Is there a boost on the burn channel? Looking for an amp I can play clean or switch to crunch. Occasionally boost for a lead. Trying to get away with not using a drive pedal.

3. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

No, not on the 22. You can rig a boost on the loop of the 60.

4. markod

markod Tele-Meister

I guess a boost pedal wouldn't be the worst thing.

5. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

No, not on the 22. You can rig a boost on the loop of the 60.

6. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

Sorry for the double post.... I use a tc spark in the loop for boost

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  7. markod

markod Tele-Meister

Picked up the SS22 head with a Matrix NeoLight 12 cab. The clean channel sounds amazing.
    Having a hard time dialing in the burn channel however. First had trouble getting the crunch I wanted
    with volume level same as cleans. Now tweaking to get that extra "kick" for lead.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  8. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

Welcome to the club

9. Franbo

Franbo TDPRI Member

10. Blues Hurler

Blues Hurler Tele-Holic

You can just jump the effects loop and when you hit the footswitch it will give you a bit of a boost in either channel. I just bought an ss 22 combo and am loving it it. Took me months to settle on the amp I wanted and this is it.

11. Blues Hurler

Blues Hurler Tele-Holic

Check this out for the full skinny in the amp:

Archtop Bill and Shango66 like this.
  12. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

This very demo is why I bought mine!!!! Love it still today after about 4 years or so.

Blues Hurler likes this.
  13. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ha, I just saw this post. Since that time I've owned a PRRI, a 68 CDR, an AC15C2, and now I finally got an SS22. I was shopping more expensive amps like Mesa and Supro, but I'm happy with this and I saved 40%ish on what I was going to spend

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. nitehogg

nitehogg NEW MEMBER!

I just got a SS22 yesterday and wanted to make sure that it's working correctly.

My main concern is when I'm on the burn channel, with gain 1/gain 2/volume at 5, and treb/bass/mid at 0, I'm getting little, to no volume, until i increase any one of the tone controls... is that normal? I've seen that on some Ampegs (as it was intentional), but haven't noticed that kind of behavior on other amps.

Also I'm playing on it with an American pro strat, positions 1,3, and 5 seem to be causing a lot more 60-cycle hum than I'm used to on my '65 DRRI. I'm going to do some more side-by-side comparison today.

Thanks in advance.

15. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

You need to crank Gain 1 a bit more. Gain 1 at zero equals zero volume.

Congrats on the amp.

16. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

I don't know if you got all the case candy, the original top sheet with suggested settings. If not start there and move to you liking. This is what I did to start learning how the stages worked. Also, I am sure you know it get's loud fast... :) I run a volume pedal in the effect loop to tame pre-amp to amp stage.

[​IMG]

Archtop Bill likes this.
  17. Rydock

Rydock NEW MEMBER!

I just got my hands on a used SS22, and for some reason, there is no low end on the vintage channel at all. When I first heard it, it sounded fine, but now the bass knob doesn't seem to do anything. I thought it might have been a bad preamp tube, so I started rolling a bunch with tubes I had on hand and the bass seemed to come back for a moment. I switched to the burn channel and then back to the vintage, and the same problem came back. At this point, I'm not even sure if it's even a tube issue anymore considering the burn channel sounds great with plenty of low end. I might add that switching channels causes a VERY audible pop. Anybody know if there are any known issues that might be causing this?

18. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

Channel switching pop was a problem in the early production run. Fender fixed many under warranty. If you have a Fender Authorized Service Cedar nter nearby, they should be able to make the fix, but without the original receipt or if the amp is more than fives years old it will cost you.

Bass issue sounds like something for a qualified tech, too.

19. Rydock

Rydock NEW MEMBER!

I ended up pulling the chassis and couldn't physically see anything wrong. When I reassembled the amp, the pot seemed to be intermittent. I ended up smacking the top of the amp and the bass knob started working again and the amp sounded fine. I figure there might be a bad solder joint on the bass pot or its cap. I may go back in and re-solder all of those joints.

As for the loud popping issue, is there a known fix for this? This amp is second hand so it won't be under warranty. I'm quite familiar with working on amp PCBs.

20. Linkslover

Linkslover Tele-Meister

Just found this thread and I bought a new SS22.from a pawn shop a couple years ago so I'd have a decent amp to play when I'm Florida.

Love the boost and the fat channels for switching from rhythm to lead. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anyone to jam with in Naples.

What i really want to ask Is how do you use the effects loop? I got to admit when it comes to this stuff I have almost less than no knowledge.

I just plug my guitar cable into my pedal board and then plug the board into the amount then twist knobs until I get a sound I like.

BTW, when I'm up north, I play through a DRRI when I jam or a Princeton RI when I practice. Got to say I love the times I get from all three amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.