1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Supersonic 22 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sposey549, Jul 25, 2011.

1. gwmican

gwmican TDPRI Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

2. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

So, inquiring minds want to know.... When is it coming and pics!

Btw -- I was playing some Imagine Dragons last night "Radioactive and it's Time" They both have very clean parts and over drive parts. Set up the SS-22 to get those effects with both channels. Very fun and flexible amp!

3. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

Good choice for the Mustang replacement. Traded in my MIV V2 for an SS22. Great upgrade.

4. gwmican

gwmican TDPRI Member

Well just got her out of the box and already put black knobs on, "I don't like the white" this thing flat out rocks. No hiss either so I'm happy![​IMG]

ruger9, Akmountainman and BlueCajun like this.
  5. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

Cool knobs.

gwmican likes this.
  6. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Has anyone put an Celestion Alnico Gold is this amp? I'm dying to try an alnico, but I don't know if it would fit... there are measurements on Celestions site, but before spending almost $300 on a non-returnable speaker, I'd feel better hearing from someone who has actually attempted it...lol...

7. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Has anyone found any mods for the SS22? I really like mine but I wouldn't mind getting a little more 3D, deeper clean like a BFTR. I've been thinking about trying JJ 6v6s too, I've heard they have more of that 6L6 deep sound.

8. MrSea

MrSea Tele-Meister

I have what may be an odd question but perhaps a valid concern. I have SS22 (purchased used) and one of the tweed blues junior amps. The SS22 sounds good but the BJr seems to be much stronger when comparing he amps on a "clean" setting. The SS22 tends to break up rather early as you move the volume up. The BJr stays strong and loud and does not break up nearly as much at a comparable level. The difference is so striking that it has got me wondering if there may be a defect somewhere in the signal chain with the SS22. Anyone have any wisdom on this?

9. Akmountainman

Akmountainman NEW MEMBER!

Where did you get those knobs? I have the black/silver 22 as well and judging by your picture, those black knobs are just what the Dr. Ordered.

10. gwmican

gwmican TDPRI Member

A ebay store called amp parts I think...

11. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I haven't seen any mods for that, but I suspect, from user reviews I have read from people who own both the SS2 and DRRI, that the circuits are in fact nearly identical... maybe what is needed is a different speaker... a Jensen C12K comes in the DRRI, and a Fender OEM Lightning Bolt comes in the SS22... I'll bet that lighting bolt has more mids, and less highs, so it sounds better with the burn channel. I'll bet if you put a C12K in the SS22, or even the Jensen of you choice, it would sound a lot more like what you are after.

The JJ 6L6's increase the headroom a TAD, and feel a bit stiffer. Not a huge difference, but it helps a little. I actually think the other 6V6s sound better tho....

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  12. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I'm hoping to join this club soon, but with the head version. There is a limited stock of them at a UK dealer at a decent discount, so I'm very tempted. I've wanted a DRRi for a while, but the head version is quite expensive over here (£200 more than the '22 head I'm after) and I'm not really a combo guy either. The clean channel on this amp seems like it would give me the DRRi tone and I'd still have the 'Fat' and 'Burn' options too, so that's a bonus.

Have they sorted out the reliability issues these days that I read about earlier in this thread? I'm not so bothered about pop on channel switching, but don't want rattles and broken reverb.

The other thing is whether I can put the same sort of knobs on that a DRRi has? I kind of like that look and I'd assume that they'd be big enough to cover the numbers on the 22's faceplate.

I may also get the matching 2 x 12 from another shop. I already have a 1 x 12 with a Greenback in it that I use my other heads with (Marshall JMP1-H, Vox NT15G2 & Orange Tiny Terror), so I figure the Fender cab with V30s would give me a different sound to the 1x12. I could mix and match the heads/cabs to get a wide variety of tones then.

13. Rich D.

Rich D. TDPRI Member

can anyone tell me the sound difference between a ss22 & a black or silver face DR? i currently have a ss22 and love it.. i have a chance to pick up a vintage black face deluxe reverb and was wondering how close the ss22 comes to it..

14. BizyG

BizyG TDPRI Member

Hi Guys, thanks so much for this thread. I've learnt so much!

A few months back after seeing a suggestion in this forum I bought a BBE Sonic Stomp and put it through the effects loop. Was a major improvement in sound. Soon after I replaced the speaker with a warehouse vintage 30. Another great improvement in both tone and volume.

I was about to leave my amp with a tech to change over valves and was trolling through this forum looking for the valves I saw recommended months ago when I came across this tip to have volume high and gain lower.

I've been playing with it today and found the following yummy sounds:
    The setting below Are roughly equivalent volume to clean(vintage) channel at 2.5 fat but on the burn channel and have a bit of crunch

Gain 1: 2
    Gain 2: 8
    Volume: 5

Before now I've struggled to get the fullness of the clean channel (which I love!) with a little added crunch. This's seems to work just fine.

It's a cleanish sound with slight break up and mega amp compression (think funky monks intro)

I also tried volume up at 8 (3 o'clock) as suggest in a thread in the forum but found its was tricky getting gain 1 in a sweet spot between 1 and 2.

Other gotcha's: I use the sonic stomp pretty much full time and found the amp dislikes having the pedal on combined with gain 2 much higher than 8 and volume at +7. Get weird feedback. I've had to dial back a little but quite happy with the results.

Also found I had to recalibrate any pedals in front when volume is set higher and gain lower. I reduced the volume on both my blues pedal and an overdrive pedal.

Incidentally, my two most common settings were
    Light Crunch
    Gain 1: 3
    Gain 2: 8
    Volume: between 2and 3.5

May seem like small difference to what I've recommended up higher but it really does change the tone.

Other setting I used to use was
    Gain 1: 4
    Gain 2: 6/7

Neither of these gave me the fullness I was after.

I may yet play with tubes but for now I'm pretty stoked.

Side note on external speakers (there's plenty of questions here about it) I played a gig a few weeks back where the engineers just plugged me into a Marshall quad box. So had both the combo speaker and quad box going. Had no impact on the combo sound and provided a bit more depth from the quad.

Tried it out again at the studio yesterday and was only somewhat impressed. Found this interesting article about mismatching ohms, perhaps this was at play. In the studio I used an 8ohm quad box but no idea about the gig box.

http://blog.hughes-and-kettner.com/ohm-cooking-101-understanding-amps-speakers-and-impedance/

Curious if anyone has played with mismatching? Recordings of differences perhaps?

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  15. BizyG

BizyG TDPRI Member

Check out this vid re speaker choices for the supersonic 22

jimmyg75 likes this.
  16. jimmyg75

jimmyg75 NEW MEMBER!

Has anyone ever tried a Celestion G12H-75 Creamback in an SS22? I'm increasingly hearing how comparatively weedy the stock speaker can be. I'm keen to modify it and have spent ages looking at various speaker shoot-outs. The Celestion G12H-75 Creamback appears to be what I'm looking for but I've not come across it in a SS22 in any of the vids....

I'm playing a Gibson Midtown Custom with Burstbucker Pickups by the way...

17. SkuLLToweR

SkuLLToweR TDPRI Member

I'm gonna try it right now......I just tried the Xotic RC booster (Scott H.).
    It's awesome.
    Problem is, the dang 5 button 7 pin 20' wire and 100lb switch is required.
    That's the only beat thing about the SS22.
    I made a new light housing for the Switch, but it's still ridiculous.
    I just use the clean side anyway.
    But that loop boost is a great idea.
    Maybe, I'll mod the loop and bury a boost in the back.
    Who doesn't love a free boost?

18. Fatlip

Fatlip TDPRI Member

New here. I hate seeing so many that had issues with this great amp. I've had mine about two years with zero issues. No noise, hiss, pops nothing. Mine was pretty bright and it took me a bit to get it under control. I actually thought my guitars were the issue. A tele, a Strat and a les Paul. I swapped the speaker for a Cannabis Rex and that help with the ice picky highs somewhat but not a cure. I then changed the GT's in V1 and V2 for some JJ's and I am astonished at the tone change. No more ear bleed highs. Smoothed out and is now exactly the amp I was looking for. I use both channels and love them both. Is it the end all beat all amp? Probably not, but for a 22 watt amp that's easy enough to transport and sounds good both at home and on stage, I think it's a keeper. I've been playing a long time and owned a multitude of different amps. Some great, but way overpowered and oversized and many that I hated every minute I owned them. About ten years ago I decided to move to smaller amps. I tried two different hot rod deluxes. Hated everything about them. And a couple Blues Juniors which I dislike even more. I've had a silverface deluxe reverb that had its charm but required too many pedals for me to be truest effective. I got a killer deal on a pristine SS22 and took a chance. I loved this amp the first time I played through it. The tubes and speaker have turned a very usable amp into a killer amp. My only pedals are an EP boost and a mxr compressor(mandatory for that tele tone) I love the gain channel for getting dirty. Is it a blackface vibrolux, no but it's the best amp I've ever owned at this price point.

19. MusicCityGrooves

MusicCityGrooves TDPRI Member

I've come down a similar path to my SS22. I downsized to 1x12 combos a while back, and one thing I tried living with was a Blues Jr, for the light and compact form factor. A Cannabis Rex and various circuit mods didn't give it the bottom end and higher gain I was looking for.

I played through an SS22 at a store, and it got me to exactly the sounds I was looking for in both the burn and clean channels. A factory resealed blonde online had a price in my range and I grabbed it.

It developed two quality issues pretty quickly:
    • The reverb intermittently failed, either producing a loud hum when engaged, or being so faint you couldn't hear it.
    • There were one or two microphonic preamp tubes, and one of the power amp tubes developed a mechanical buzzing that I first thought was a cabinet rattle.
    A new MOD tank fixed the reverb issues, and new Tungsol 12AX7s in V1 and V2, and Tungsol 6V6s eliminated the tube-related problems.

I like my dirt to come from the tubes, so the only effects I use, rarely, are a bit of delay, chorus, or Leslie in the effects loop. The Supersonic's burn channel is really juicy and thick, and I ride the guitar's volume to range from light crunch to liquid singing single note tones for melody lines and soloing.

All my guitars have humbuckers, and I don't hear excessive brightness, but I do have that Cannabis Rex sitting around that I've thought about swapping in for kicks. Maybe I will at some point, but for now I'm sticking with the stock Lightning Bolt.

Totally digging the amp!

20. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

So I have a funny story, I have been gassing for an Orange amp for a long time. I have my sites set on a RockerVerb 50 MKII and an Orange 2x12 closed back.

Along comes NAAM and Orange announces a new amp:

https://orangeamps.com/products/guitar-amp-combos/rocker-series/rocker-32/

It's all tube, two channel, Clean and Dirt, 2x10's, effect loop, multi-stage gain on the dirty channel, stereo, etc.

So here I go down the rabbit hole, how cool, how neat, and stereo. So what do I ask myself, do I live in a big house?, Do I really care about Stereo? NO

And turn around and look at the SS22 and say, there it is!!! the new Orange Amp in mono!! LOL

P.S. Love my SS-22 in blonde

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.