Fender Supersonic 22 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sposey549, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Rich D.

Rich D. TDPRI Member

amp tech put jj's in .. sounds good, groove tubes were originally in unit..

any one running jj's? gonna hold on to it for now..

2. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm running JJs, a bit more headroom/stiffness than Tung-Sols or other....

3. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

i have some jj's in mine.

4. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Same here. JJs in mine. I may try Tung Sols next time just for $h1t$ and giggles. But for now, the JJs sound really good.

5. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

6. ruger9

$400 ?!?!?!?! For TUBES ?!?!?!?!?!? Sorry, I love NOS as much as anybody, but... I don't think so.

Maybe if I had a 1959 Bassman to put them in, it would be worth it... altho, even then, probably not...

7. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

ruger9 -- Yeppers when I did NOS I was all up in got-2-be old school. Not so much anymore, I am way more practical. When you lose a $50.00 AX7 or AT7 it hurts. So now it's back to whatever I can get.... LOL The Power tubes are still going strong and I biased my amp as well. That was the biggest improvement.

I was also chasing the idle hum that you heard about with the SS22's. The proper solution I found was to turn up the amp! LOL

8. BlueCajun

So true. I spent too much money trying to get rid of the idle hum (new tubes, new reverb tank and cable). Then I played it in a band situation, and it wasn't even noticeable. And that's when it hit me that at volume, the amp really isn't any noisier than other tube amps I've owned.

I also changed the speaker to a Weber 12F150B. Although the stock speaker is quite nice once broken in. And I'm heavily leaning towards removing the bright cap. But after that, I *think* I'm done modding the amp.

I really do love the amp by the way. But sometimes I can't leave well enough alone.

9. ruger9

I will say, the one NOS tube I still think is worth the $$ are the rectifiers- I have an NOS 5AR4 that I paid $85 for in my SS22. And it's been in a couple other amps, since sold. I sell the amps, but not the NOS! For some reason, current-production rectifiers just don't seem to be up to the quality of the NOS ones yet.

frankg11 likes this.
  10. ruger9

This amp has a bright cap? Like the DRRI? On which channel?

I do think on both channels the amp can very trebly VERY quick. But not so much with the volume controls (like on the DRRI), but on the actual treble controls, like the treble control especially on the burn channel goes from 1-8 when you turn it up from 1-3. I run the treble quite low on the Burn channel, never off but always below 2.

11. BlueCajun

Yes, like the DRRI. C7 is the bright cap:
    http://support.fender.com/schematics/guitar_amplifiers/Super-Sonic22_schematic.pdf

It's only on the normal channel and does not affect the fat or burn channels. If you find C7 in the schematic, you'll notice it's right downstream from the normal/fat channel switch and that it gets removed from the circuit when switched to fat mode. From what I've gathered, the bright cap sits right behind the normal channel volume pot, but I have not verified this.

I like bright amps, but I find the normal channel too bright and thin when using single coils. Fat sounds great with single coils. And normal sounds fine to me with humbuckers. But normal with single coils? Not so much. I at least want to try removing the cap to see if I like the sound. If I do, I'll probably put it in a switch, either a mini-toggle or push-pull for one of the knobs (volume or treble) if possible.

ruger9 likes this.
  12. BlueCajun

I'm curious. What is it about the NOS rectifier tube that you like? The sound? Does it lower the noise? Reliability?

13. ruger9

Well, the big thing is reliability. An NOS rectifier will outlive YOU. No joke. One and done.

And I know most people say that rectifiers have no impact on tone, "they either work or they don't", but I beg to differ. Maybe it's in how well they do their job, IDK, but switching from the Sovtek rectifier to an NOS in three amps I have owned did make a subtle difference. Subtle enough to justify the price, especially considering they last literally forever (at least your lifetime). I stupidly "gave away" one of my NOS rectifiers in a PRRI that I sold, so I only have one left, but it's been in 3 amps so far, and I'll keep it as long as I'm alive for future amps.

BlueCajun likes this.
  14. ruger9

While I do kind of hear what you're saying, I don't think Normal/Vintage is too thin with single coils; I play a tele, and do prefer fat, HOWEVER: the Normal/Vintage sounds extremely close to my PRRI, which is why I sold my PRRI. I do run the treble lower than the bass when on Normal/Vintage, and I do have a Cannabis Rex speaker in there... altho, truth be told, I don't think it sounds much different than the Lightning Bolt did... the LB is a great OEM spec speaker- Fender did a good job there.

15. BlueCajun

Just goes to show how we all hear things differently. I agree that the Supersonic's normal channel sounds close to the PRRI. But for me, the difference is big enough that I still have my PRRI (even though the intention of getting the SS was to replace the PRRI). Even putting the differences in reverb aside (where the PRRI is far superior IMO), I play them side by side and, the tone of the PRRI just sounds sweeter to me, and the SS sounds brighter. I even tried playing each amp through the other's speaker, hoping it would sway my opinion. But it didn't. YMMV.

16. ruger9

I can agree with that- I think the PRRI's tube rectifier adds a bit of sweetness, and I miss my PRRI, and will likely buy another one, or a clone of some kind.

TOTALLY agree there. IDK why Fender saw fit to castrate the SS22's reverb, damn shame....

Again- PRRI = tube rectifier, and don't forget: MY SS22 has a Cannabis Rex in it...

BlueCajun likes this.
  17. gwmican

gwmican TDPRI Member

Hey guys, I'm gassing for the Supesonic 22 and am fixing to order from Sweetwater. I'm looking to replace my Mustang III with it. I play only at home right now, I don't have many pedals, just a ego compressor and a tube screamer clone. Will the Supersonic still sound decent at a lower home volume? What about reliability, I expect it will be fine since it will probably never leave the house or get moved around much. Thanks for any input guys.

18. ruger9

I think the Burn channel can sound pretty good a low volume.... but imo, the amp sounds MUCH better when turned up, and if I had an amp that I knew would only ever be used for "home volume", the SS22 probably wouldn't be it? I don't know of many tube amps that sound really good at low volumes....

And when we say "low" volume, what are we talking about? I have my SS22 clean channel on 3-1/2, and it's loud; it's probably not "gig volume", but it's loud- I'm just able to play that loud at home because I own the house :)

When I need to be quiet: like "bedroom" volume, I use my GDEC3-30, and I think modeling amps ARE better than tube amps at these volumes.

A middle solution: while the MV on the SS22 works pretty well, you may or may not be happier getting an attenuator, turning the amp up to the volume it sounds good to you at, then using the attenuator to bring the volume down.... I have found attenuators work better than most MVs.

19. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

gqmican,

I use my SS22 for home volumes all the time. Right now my Vintage channel volume is on 4 and the burn channel is Gain1 - 8 Gain 2-8 Volume 4. Ordinarily my wife would be yelling at me.

So here is the trick I use to get the amps up that high...

Put a volume switch in the effect's loop. This does a couple of things.

One - you can drive the first stage amps higher
    Two - With the volume turned up and the volume pedal dropped, the idle hiss goes away.

Also, I ran the amp in the garage on a music loop for about 4 hours to loosen up the speaker.

An Attenuator is not a bad choice either. I have one and have used it.

This is what I do in the house. Outside, crank it up there is nothing like a speaker moving a bunch of air.

20. gwmican

gwmican TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply guys, yeah I do play fairly loud with my Mustang iii, but I do respect the neighbors and turn down when they are home. I think the Supersonic 22 will work great for me, might get a volume pedal or attenuator as recommended. I ordered it from Sweetwater today, can't wait for Thursday when it should be delivered. I have a broken in WGS ET-90 too so I might slap that in there as soon as I get it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.