Fender Supersonic 22 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sposey549, Jul 25, 2011.

1. kupasa

kupasa Tele-Meister

Happy ss22 owner here. My amp journey the past few years have been an interesting and expensive one. Peavey classic 30 -> prri -> 68 custom vr -> vox AC30C2 -> Vox AC30HW. All of them nice and good sounding amps but not for me.

I really love my ss22. I can't remember being this satisfied about an amp purchase ever.

Two things noted.

1. All of the amps listed above except the PRRI hissed and hummed more than my ss22.

2. I also own a Fender Mustang iii v.2 and while it's a good amp it's not as good as my super sonic.

2. STL-Dirt

STL-Dirt TDPRI Member

Congrats kupasa on joining the club. the SS22 is a great amp. I am still waiting for band practice to resume from the holiday hiatus. We get together this weekend and I am anxious to get the SS22 in a band mix, but I have had it opened up quite but on my own and it is great. Just guitar and amp, covers a lot of ground.

I recently have added an EHX LBP-1 in the loop and it works great for a boost for both channels.

I will report back after band practice with an update on SS22 performance in a mix.

FYI - I have also had a 68 Custom Princeton, AC15, Marshall DSL40, Egnater Tweaker, Prosonic, Fender Twin Amp, and could not get what I was after. I still have my 68 Custom Deluxe. It is great with pedals and I want a back up amp, but I am digging the SS22. I like just running a guitar into a 2 channel amp with minimal effects. It is just the way I learned how to play back in the 80s, so I kind of gravitate back to that and away from pedals.

Cheers!

3. STL-Dirt

STL-Dirt TDPRI Member

Ok, Update on EHX LPB-1 in FX loop. It worked great on both channels at low to moderate volume, however on the clean channel at 4 the boost no longer bumps volume. My goal is to utilize the FX button on the foot switch to boost solos. I may experiment with a EQ to achieve this. I like the idea of only dragging the foot switch out to step on, and no pedal board. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. I will report back on the EQ experiment.

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  4. STL-Dirt

STL-Dirt TDPRI Member

Early indications of running a MXR 10-band EQ in the loop is that it performs closer to what I was searching for. Even when the Power Tubes are getting hit hard, the EQ will still give a slight lift and pop it out a bit more. I will give this a good trial this coming weekend when band practice resumes.

Again, the boost worked ok at lower volumes on the amp, but had little impact at gigging volume. 4-5 on clean channel, specifically with the fat engaged, which is sort of boost already.

running a boost in front is clearly a better option which others have already stated. In my situation I don't want the boost to add more gain to the OD channel, so the EQ loop is a better fit so far.

Lastly, the goal is to only have to drag the foot switch to the front of the stage with me. Going old school. Guitar straight into amp. Although a Wah maybe added at some point :)

By the way, 4-5 on teh Fender SuperSonic is freaking loud. This only intended for live scenarios as I do like the power tunes to getting hot as they add more thump and kick to the OD channel.

I may find that about 4 on the clean channel and 5.5 to 6 on the OD channel is about right for gigging, and a little lower on each side for practice.

Cheers

5. ArthurDent

ArthurDent TDPRI Member

I guess I joined the club this weekend!

Got the combo with a nice discount (floor model, no others to be had locally and I didn't want to order and possibly get one that wasn't 'right').

I had tried many others - Deluxe Reverb, Princeton Reverb, etc. None really grabbed me. I plugged into the SS 22 out of curiosity and the it just grabbed me.

Read all 14 pages on this thread and thankfully haven't experienced the problem.

No regrets.

(And it is the blond / oxblood. I'm good.)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  6. STL-Dirt

STL-Dirt TDPRI Member

Unfortunately, leaving the SS2 club. Developed a squealing noise and the loop quit working. I liked the tones and the grab and go flexibility of the amp, but I was within my return period, so back she went. I am back to the 68 CDR and a small pedal board. Not as grab and go, but has worked for the last year with no issues.

7. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

Joined the SS22 club and cancelled my membership to the Mustang IV V2 club. What an amp! The tonal variety is exactly what I was looking for but could not get out of the Mustang.

8. kupasa

kupasa Tele-Meister

Gigged my SS22 for the first time last weekend. Glorious sound, very happy. Used the clean channel and a small pedalboard, boost -> delay -> reverb. I will keep this amp.

9. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I have a question about power tubes in the SS22W.

All the info I have states the power section uses a pair of 6V6 tubes. A short search in the Fender store appears to suggest 6L6 tubes for the power section.

Which part of Fender is correct? Would I get more power output with the 6L6's? Would that burn the transformer?

10. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

6V6 tubes in the 22. 6L6 tubes in the 60W.

11. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

SO my Reverb went out. what are the steps for troublshooting.

So when I tap on the spring I get that springy sound?

There are only two tubes send and return, Just replace one at a time?

That's the scheme today.

12. MrSea

MrSea Tele-Meister

I bought a used SS 22 and had recurring trouble with the verb. I replaced the tubes and the phono wire to the tank. It still acted up. My last move was to remove the tank and carefully check the connections inside. Once I had the tank out and laid stationary, I turned the amp on and a bit of gentle prodding at the connections brought the reverb back to life. Apparently there was weak contact in one end. I put it back together and have not had any trouble since. Not sure what I did but I'm going with it until it acts up again.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  13. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

Mr. Sea thanks for the suggestion. I tore apart the tank messed around figured that the return path was just fine. Messed around a bit more, cleaned contacts on the rca jacks, etc.

Finally figure it out. I swapped a bad AX7 last week, put the rca jacks in backwards when I reassembled everything. Opps... My Bad!!! LOL

One problem is that I have a backup 63 Reverb pedal on the board that defaults to on on power up. Didn't pay attention to that either. LOL

So swap the leads and boom it works. Maybe more pics and go slower.....

Thanks.

14. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm dealing with this right now, here's some info for anyone dealing with this (because apparently it's quite common in this amp):

Besides the obvious of replacing V3 & V4, here you go:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/reverb-troubleshooting/16637

http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/reverb-repair/13060

15. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I had the exact same problem with the reverb tank in my PRRI. In my case, it would lose contact every so often, particularly after moving the amp around. I eventually got tired of removing the lower back panel, pulling the tank, wiggling the contacts, etc. So I ended up replacing it with a MOD tank, which has been solid. I suppose I could have soldered the loose connections on the stock tank, but the MOD was only $18.

16. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the clarification, Ruger!

17. Rich D.

Rich D. TDPRI Member

intermittent problem

when amp is on i hear distorted sound coming out, look in back and 1 of the power tubes is lit up .. the other is not.. turn on / off.. problem goes away..

tubes are fairly new, 6 months old.. bad tubes? or something else.. ?

18. Rich D.

Rich D. TDPRI Member

Kinda pissed I ever bough this piece of crap.. F... It, will get fixed and trade for something more reliable.. Thx for all the owners for chiming in..

19. ArthurDent

ArthurDent TDPRI Member

You need to take it to someone who knows how to fix amps. Could be something incredibly simple. Possibly just that one power tube.

Get it looked at by a pro. It's a great amp and should perform properly.

20. smokindav

smokindav TDPRI Member

Mine's currently in the shop. I bought it two years ago and have played it on average a few hours a week. The volume has gotten really low - usually when I run it at Volume 5 on the clean or dirty channel it is really loud but now it is much quieter than it should be and also very noisy with hum and hiss. :(

The repair guy called earlier and said he thought it sounded ok. I asked him what he had the volume set at - 2 he replied. I told him to turn it up and get back to me. He's checking tubes and bias and what not.

I love this amp and am sad that it is not working.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.