Fender Supersonic 22 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sposey549, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Nice resolution. Way to stick with it!

2. David_D

David_D TDPRI Member

Looking for help/advice

I'm the proud owner of a SS 22 FSR. Really sweet..it came stock with a Vintage 30 and gold/black tolex. Yesterday I noticed my reverb died. I'm hoping it's just a tube issue. Can someone tell me what tubes are used for the reverb and where they are located. Can a bad tube still glow?..I can remember when i could go to the Rexall drug store and test them.

If it matters, I notice that when if I crank the reverb up to 10 I do hear sort of a pumping sound..checked all the connections to the reverb tank and the footswitch..all good.

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

3. Rich D.

Rich D. TDPRI Member

bias adjustment

after living with amp for about a year, i decided to take to tech to figure out the hiss issue. they adjusted bias, it really helped, there is still some hiss.. but overall it helped , amp sounds better too.. i called fender before i brought it down.. they covered the cost.. i have been playing thru my hot rod... man was i glad to get the supersonic back.. completely blows the hot rod away.. tone is sick..

4. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

I am so glad that you got it sorted. It it a great amp and under appreciated imho.

5. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

Did you get this sorted?

If not check the RCA connectors to the tank. Make sure they are clean. Also the spring can although rarely break. Third if you have spare tubes, try a swap. I had one go bad.

6. TurboStang

TurboStang Tele-Meister

Any of you guys using these regularly in a full band setting for small to medium sized venues?

I'm currently gigging with my Egnater Renegade w/ 2x12 cab that's been a versatile workhorse for me, but we've got a show coming up next week in a slightly smaller venue. We play quite a bit of different stuff from 80's & 90's rock to modern country. The Egnater has covered everything with ease, but I'm looking for something more compact for smaller venues in the future.

How's the headroom? How does it sit in the mix? Will the SS22 peter out at higher volumes in a full band setting?

Any and all information is welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

7. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

The SS 22 will hang easily at the gig you've described.
    It's got a lot on tap.

SkuLLToweR likes this.
  8. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

re: the reverb- yes, check the RCA connections. Mine stopped working as well, and all I did was unplug/replug the RCA jacks a few times, spun them around, just to make sure they had good contact. All is well.

re: gig volumes. I haven't played a full band gig yet, but I have played with a loud drummer (no problem) and also a jam where we had a drummer and about 4 other guitars playing at the same time (no problem). I can't imagine a gig (an un-miked one anyway) where the SS22 wouldn't be loud enough.

And, if for some reason you find you still need more volume than the Burn channel can give you, use the clean channel with an OD pedal- it'll get louder that way.

9. MrSea

MrSea Tele-Meister

The RCA plugs kept messing up on mine so I ended up replacing the cable itself. I had a bunch of them laying around. It's an easy fix and no more problems.

10. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Just joined the club. I picked this up used at GC for $650. The only sign of use that I could find is a bit of dirt on the top back panel. Otherwise, it's in new condition, so new that the speaker sounded really tight and rough when I first got the amp. Although at the time, I didn't know it. I just thought the speaker sounded bad. But after almost two weeks of playing it, the speaker is starting to break in nicely. This may end up being the first amp where I do not change speakers.

I really love this amp the more I play it. Both channels sound great, and it covers so much territory. The band I'm in plays a variety of music. So having an amp this versatile really helps.

Mine is a little noisy with the volume all the way down. But as you turn it up, it's really not any more noisy than other tube amps I've had.

Attached Files:

11. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

oohh and it's a blonde too.

Very nice and have a great time with it.

12. David_D

David_D TDPRI Member

Sorry for the late reply...yes, problem solved. I took the back off and removed all the tube covers. Turned the room lights off and saw that the V3 tube wasn't lit. Replaced it with the stock Groove Tube...reverb worked fine. The challenge was inserting the new tube...V3 is in between the power tubes and the speaker..

13. David_D

David_D TDPRI Member

External speaker for Super Sonic 22

Is it possible to connect an external speaker and use the internal speaker at the same time? My understanding is that if you plug into the external speaker jack it will cut the internal speaker. So if I want to run a2x12, I need to buy a 2x12 cab and forget about the internal speaker. Seems dumb..

14. BizyG

BizyG TDPRI Member

Hi all,

Have had my blonde baby for 2years plus and the only issue I had was the handle bloke off. Fender shipped out a replacement within 2 days.

Had a little trouble with reverb but just pulled out the unit, made sure the plugs were all in and haven't had an issue since.

Have been enjoying the hearing people's experiences, gotchas mods etc. I have to say I love the clean sound but the dirty channel, while versatile, never really cut it for me.

So on the strength of some posters here I went out and got me a sonic stomp today and have just played for the last hour. What a transformation! I can't wait to give it a run with a band. WOW! Just wow.

While I was at it today, I spoke to a few techs about possible mods. To be honest, not sure I'll need them now but one of them really seems passionate about the SS so I'll still take it in on the weekend and see what he comes up with. Probably just start out with some tube changes and go from there. Like I said though, the sonic stomp has made a huge difference. Even shares the name with the amp :p

I'll keep you posted!

15. gpower

gpower Tele-Meister

Got my hands on a barely used just about broken in Blonde. Having owned a number of late 60's SF Fenders and a hand wired '65 clone, I have to say I'm very impressed with the SS22. As it sits stock, there's nothing jumps out at me that needs upgrading. I will change the tubes, just cause, with a good set of jj gold pins and a matched pair of RCA 6V6GTA's I have. The stock speaker sounds just fine. Only other mod I'll do is add the tilt back legs.

16. SkuLLToweR

SkuLLToweR TDPRI Member

I have 2 of them myself. I swapped the speaker with a Warehouse Retro 30. Made a difference. Great amp. I gig with it every show.

BizyG likes this.
  17. STL-Dirt

STL-Dirt TDPRI Member

NAD - Supersonic 22

Watched this amp slowly drop in price at my local GC. When it hit $800 for a new SS 22, I snagged it up.

I had an SS 22 previously that was a 2012 model that exhibited the hissing that others mention in post. I really love the tones and the options on the amp, but the hissing bothered me and I returned it before my return period expired.

I have been missing an amp that had good clean and useable OD / Dirt. So seeing this price drop I checked it our in store. No noise. This is a 2014 build. Fender may have worked out some QC issues.

At home, it had delivered. No noise. Band practice is on hold until after the holidays. I am anxious to see how it cuts in the mix.

Lastly, this amp doesn't get much love on the forums. I think most folks don't turn it up enough. I do think the burn channel sounds much better when the volume is up more and the power tubes give it a fuller feel. Either way, it only matters what i think :)

Glad to be back in the club.

Anybody run a clean boost in the FX loop with good results?

18. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

Congrats on the purchase. I ran a Tc spark mini in the loop with a decent result.

BizyG likes this.
  19. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

STL-Dirt the way I run my SS22 is with a volume pedal in the effects loop. That way I can crank up the volume on both channels and get some saturation and the amp plays great at volume.

I run most of my pedals though the front end though. I may need to rethink that soon.

20. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

+1. Great at low volumes. In my experience with a (loud) drummer, the clean channel+pedals worked better than the burn channel. Looking forward to your report!

+1 Louder is better on the Burn channel.

I have, and it works. I didn't feel it worked any BETTER in the loop than in front of the amp tho, for whatever reason...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.