Fender Supersonic 22 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sposey549, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Just have to chime back in and say how AWESOME this amp is. WAY WAY WAAAAAAAAAAAAY underrated...... I can play any style of music with it, it's small and light (enough) yet also loud (enough- unless you've got a gorilla on the drums)... super versatile, very clean to very dirty, fat or twangy, it's just the best damn modern Fender amp model there is, barring the Vibro-King, possibly.

The only thing I did to mine was put JJ 6V6s in it (which do give a little more headroom and tighter bass) and a C-Rex speaker (which, honestly, doesn't sound that much different from the stock lightning bolt.)

Even tho this isn't a "holy grail/bucket list" amp for me, I can see never selling it, at least not as long as I'm gigging, because I can grab it, take it anywhere, and play ANYTHING with it. It's a workingman's amp.

2. markJcaster

markJcaster TDPRI Member

Agreed. I actually like the stock speaker better than any of the others I've tried. Those would include a WGS reto 30 and Celestion GT1285K. Once it breaks in the speaker seems to do a good job of handling the Fendery tones and the middy marshall style stuff. Also took me a while to get the hang of the gain stages. You have to play around with it for a while to really dial it in. It's kinda simple yet really flexible.

3. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I have the head and for larger venues I use a closed back 2x12 and it will get VERY loud with it. I've never had any trouble drowning out even our heavy handed ex-drummer who still fills in sometimes when needed.
    I've had amps that sound better clean and amps that sound better driven but I've never had or played through any amp that does both as well as my SS-22, even the Soldono Lucky 13 I used to use. It's not quite with the two amp setup I used for a long time (Fender Twin Reverb and Vox AC15 with A/B/Y switch) but it's darn close.
    I LOVE my SuperSonic 22!!

4. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Can I run the supersonic 22 head into a 16ohm 4x12 cab???

5. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

There's always people who argue about this but I've always went by the half to double rule on Fender amps. The SS22 has a 8 ohm OT so I'd be comfortable running anything from 4 to 16 ohms.
    Some amps don't have as hearty of a OT but Fenders in general have a strong output tranny.

6. BTF3

BTF3 NEW MEMBER!

I swapped out the stock speaker for a scumback 65, a low resonant frequency version of the greenback. It sounded so good I think the price wet up. The bass became firm and solid, deep with no farting. Some harsh mids smoothed out and I didn't seem to loose any highs. The entire speaker enclosure sounded bigger and more robust. If your playing a single coil try this speaker, for buckers I recommend a greenback as suggested by Don felder

7. Cajunplayer

Cajunplayer TDPRI Member

I got my Super Sonic 22 a few weeks back. I have spent a lot of money on amps over the last couple of years and if I had tried this one sooner, it would have been much better.
    I wanted versatility and tone. I have it now.
    The speaker is an issue for me and the reviews I read were correct when it comes to shrilly highs, especially with my Telecaster. However, I heard one recently with a C-Rex in it and it did a good job of rolling off the highs before shrill. So, a simple speaker change is all that is needed if your taste is not compatible with the shrill. What speaker I would change to? I think I am looking at another quest, but the C-Rex I heard in this type of amp was good enough. The Lightning Bolt is a good speaker and if it rolled off a bit sooner, it would be just fine.
    Another thing I read was a lot about changing the tubes. At least with mine, the Groove Tubes are doing well. No need to change them until it is required. Then I will probably change to something else like JJ's or something.
    I use mine for bedroom playing and small to medium venues and it does very well over that spectrum. I like not needing a bunch of pedals and accessories hauled around all the time.
    Great amp. Now I am getting rid of a few others not needed anymore. Who could ask for more?

8. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

Also, I run a volume pedal in the effect loop which allows me to boost power to the gain stages and saturate tubes without having volume drive my cat out of the house. The other benefit is that the idle noise from the amp goes away.

9. ruger9

Cajun,

I urge you to give the Lightning Bolt a chance, before spending money. A C-Rex DOES sound great in this amp, but I'll tell you- after break-in, I think the LB and CR actually sound alot alike. I think this is Fender's best OEM speaker in a very long time. (I have a CR in mine, but I did let the LB break in before changing it out... the CR has just a little tighter bass response, which is why I went with it.)

I did a complete tube change, and with the exception of V1 and the power tubes, I don't hear alot of difference. I have a bunch of the china 12AX7s in there still, they're doing just fine. JJ 6V6s for more stiffness and headroom, TS or EHX 6V6s for more compression, sweetness, and juice.... just depends what you're after. The difference is subtle.

10. MrSea

MrSea Tele-Meister

Now I admit that I am no authority on amplifiers but I do a lot playing along with Hi Fi recordings at home. I bought this not because I "need" it, but because I (1) wanted it, (2) it was very clean and (3) it was on CL at half retail cost. Never mind that I had to do a bit of driving to get it. I have spent the day evaluating it and it is a pleasant surprise. It sounds fabulous without the aid of any kind of dirt/tone pedals. It was pretty easy to dial in a clean setting and a "dirt" setting that is really nice at the "room volume" that I use when I am at home alone (a healthy "live volume" that does not annoy the neighbors too badly). I found myself pretty much ignoring my pedal board mainstays (an Okko Diablo and Boss Compressor) and enjoying the completely un-supplemented tone of this amp. It may be a while before I fire up the Blues Junior or the Super Champ X2. ImageUploadedByTDPRI1429058787.561232.jpg

11. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

i have the same one in my studio. I always thought that the SS22 is under rated and got a bad rap unfairly. This amp is also very giggable and I have seen many a group using this in a live environment with great success.

Have fun with it.

12. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I have a oversized 2x12 cab (closed back w/ convertible panel) I use with my SS 22 head and a couple of months ago I put a pair of C Rex speakers in it. After breaking in they sound great. I'm wondering if it might be even better with the conversation back panel off. It's about 6 inches wide. Has anyone tried the C Rex both ways?
    Btw the SS 22 with a 2x12 is Loud! No problems keeping up with a loud drummer or a medium/large sized club without miking up. Outdoors you need to mic up but that's not surprising.

13. MrSea

MrSea Tele-Meister

I have really enjoyed my SS 22 except now it seems to have developed an issue with its reverb. When the reverb is on there is a nasty hum and the verb adjustment control does not seem to have much effect. Turning it up does not result in a real increase in the verb. Anyone have any wisdom on what is going on?

14. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

check the RCA plugs. They sometimes go off. Also check your send and return tubes. I had one go bad and the reverb messed up.

Just a thought.

15. ruger9

+1 on checking the reverb RCA jacks.... just last week, my SS22's reverb disappeared. I reached around and twisted the RCA plugs, and unplugged and re-plugged them a couple times, problem fixed. IDK if the plugs get "loose" over time, or if there's some minute corrosion going on, but I have read of this issue with ALL Fender amps... reverb problems being solved by messing with the RCA jacks/plugs. I guess a little contact cleaner couldn't hurt either....

Now, if only there was a way to make the reverb sound like the reverb from Princeton Reverb! :lol:

16. MrSea

MrSea Tele-Meister

Thanks for the advice. I have unplugged and re-plugged the RCA plugs. I have also removed and then reinstalled all of the 12AX7's and the two 12AT7's. Research indicated that one of the 12AT7s runs the verb. None of this made any difference. Now the reverb does not work at all. The higher the reverb control, the louder the hum. My next strategy will be to change out the 12AT7 that runs the reverb. Do you think this might be the answer or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  17. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

I had the 12ax7 go out that pushes the reverb tank, so that might have happened to you too

18. MrSea

MrSea Tele-Meister

Yesterday, I replaced both of the 12AT7s with new ones. That did the trick. The verb is back. Thanks to all for the responses.

19. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

Mr Sea -- I am glad you got it sorted.

No turn that thing to 11.

20. MrSea

MrSea Tele-Meister

Well, after all of that my "resolution" apparently was a false one. I now need to respond to this thread again just in case this info might help someone else. After changing out the two 12AT7 tubes, the reverb did, in fact, work, although not at first. But when it did I thought the problem was solved---until I fired it up again later. Again the reverb was out and replaced by the hum. I continued to troubleshoot. I noticed that the reverb tank is located in the bottom of the amp cabinet enclosed in a "leatherette" looking sleeve. I removed the bottom amp cabinet cover plate and then the sleeve itself (held in by two screws). The reverb tank was easy to slide out of the sleeve. I inspected it and found two more RCA plugs connecting it to the amp unit (the other end of the wires going to the amp). These plugs are inside the sleeve and not visible unless you remove the tank. I removed and reseated those plugs. I found nothing obvious wrong with the tank. I tested it with the tank exposed out on the floor-voila'-it worked. I have put it all back together and have run the amp several times. It now appears to be legitimately fixed. RCA plugs were, most probably the culprit but these are not visible unless you pull the tank. Maybe I didn't need the tubes but what the hell, I now have a couple of extras and I avoided the labor charge/hassle of a trip to shop. DIY is still good.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.